Author Topic: Your Martial Arts Training  (Read 9410 times)

Offline John Bishop

• Senior Black Belt
  • Black Belt
  • Seek Knowledge, Not Rank
Your Martial Arts Training
« on: June 27, 2003, 11:27:41 AM »
Tell us how many years you've trained in the martial arts.  
John Bishop  8th Degree-Original Method 
Under Grandmaster Gary Forbach
K.S.D.I. # 478, FMAA

"You watch, once I'm gone, all the snakes will start popping their heads up!"  Sijo Emperado

Offline Bautista's

• teaching since 1966
  • Senior Moderator
  • Brown Belt
  • you show me-I show you
Re:Your Martial Arts Training
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2003, 06:18:08 PM »
Started in 1961 with Aleju Reyes for a short term then went under Anthony Ramos in latter part of 62 or beginning of 63 and to this day still teach what was taught to me by them.
Emil Bautista
Kajukenbo black belt (1966)

Offline DACS

• BlackBelt
  • Yellow Belt
  • THERE'S ALWAYS MORE TO LEARN!
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2003, 03:05:20 AM »
Took Japanese Karate '85-'88. Boxed during the summers of '84-'89 with trainers Al Silva and Gilbert Rivera. Chinese Boxing with Roy Ebalaroza in '91. Found my home with Ahgung Tony Ramos in '92 and has been with ever since...KAJUKENBO FOREVER !
Ramos Method
Wahiawa Kajukenbo

Offline kajudaddy

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2003, 01:43:18 PM »
I began training at the age of 4 under Alan Reyes.My father Mike Ferber opened a school around 1980 and closed down around 1988 and then we did garage training for awile.I hooked up with Eugene Ray around 1993 and have been with him since.
Paul Ferber
4th degree
Eugene Ray Kajukenbo
Great Falls,MT

kajukembo

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2003, 02:13:38 AM »
off and on for 20years, unfortunately more off than on.

Karazenpo

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2003, 01:13:20 PM »
I started in 1973 in Okinawan GoJu ryu, switched to Kempo in 1974.

Offline d-bone1

• White Belt
  • Does a one legged duck swim in circles?
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2003, 01:08:55 PM »
I began training in 1997 with about a two year gap of non training from '01-'03.  It is amazing how much info one can lose but even more amazing how much one will gain and retain with good teaching and self motivation. :)

Offline Mitch Powell

• Senior Black Belt
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2003, 09:33:21 PM »
I began training in Kajukenbo in 1975. My Kajukenbo teachers have been:

Tony Ramos
Calvin Shin
Emil Bautista
Joe Davis

From these teachers I have learned what I know. Grandmaster Emil Bautista has been my primary teacher for many years. He is my role model and inspiration.
Powell's MMA Academy (KSDI#549)
Grandmaster Mitch Powell (Emperado Method)
(707) 344-1655  coachmitchpowell@hotmail.com

Offline Darrin

• White Belt
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2003, 10:52:35 PM »
I have been training in Kajukenbo for one year now. Actually it is a Christian Kajukenbo class in Wood River IL. My 9 year old son and 10 year old daughter have been training for  18 months now. I have no prior martial arts experience and have always wanted to learn. I did some high school wrestling and some heavy
working out in the Navy. At 34 years old it was tough to
get back in physical shape, and still getting there. My energy levels are up, my confidence is higher, and I'm doing something besides work work work all the time.
My kids seem to have natural ability, and they are so flexible and limber! I know this will be a lifelong endeavor for them, and it's great to be spending the time with them. I don't mean to be long winded - this is my first post.  I am training under Sifu Jim Fassler. Greetings and Respect to all !!

Offline William Badders

• BlackBelt
  • White Belt
  • William Badders
    • U.S. Karate Systems
Re: Your Martial Arts Training
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2007, 10:41:53 AM »
i started in martial arts in 94 when i was 4 1/2 in Karate then after half a year got a different teacher. got  a purple belt moved got in tae kwon do got a black belt, got into jujitsu got a black, and was studying boxing, bjj, arnis, then got a blue in bjj, and a brown in arnis still training and loving it still.  al my ex's hated that it came first. if they don't like they get kick out.  ;)

Kaju forever ;D
2nd Dan Kajukenbo Under Sigung Goldade<br />Instructor Phan-ku Ryu Jujitsu Under Sensei Patterson

Offline Eugene Sedeno

• Blue Belt
  • Teacher
    • Sedeno's School of Self-Defence
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2007, 12:05:46 PM »
I started in 1962 with Danzan Ryu then Kajukenbo shortly after that.  1969 added Shaolin Kenpo to the mix from a black belt student of Sid Asuncion.  1990 added Okinawa Kobudo.

just can't stop learning and practicing.  45 years is not enough.

Eugene
« Last Edit: October 27, 2007, 12:58:12 PM by Eugene Sede?±o »
GM Eugene Sedeno
9th DBB
Perpetual Student

Offline Spaniard

• BlackBelt
  • Yellow Belt
    • mormon.org
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2007, 08:33:33 PM »
off and on for 20years, unfortunately more off than on.
That's me, too.  Started with Tae Kwon Do in '84.  Practiced hardcore through high school.  Instructor died in '87.  Practiced and taught on an off until '89.  Went on a mission for my church for 2 years.  More practicing and teach on and off.  Couple months of Judo in there.  Started Kajukenbo where I am at now in 2004 with some hiatuses (hiatii?) for babies.

Pax via magno-

Spaniard
Erik P., 2nd degree Black Belt Kajukenbo under Sifu Jim Fassler Chrisitan Kajukenbo Ministry, White Belt American Kenpo, 1st Black Belt Tae Kwon Do OhDoKan
"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it."- Voltaire

Offline newoldstudent

• Yellow Belt
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2007, 05:55:49 AM »
I'm in that club -more off than on with my years of training.
Started with Ahgung Ramos in 1971
Chinese Karate under Sifu John Navarro of Santa Rosa CA in 1974
Tae Kwon Do at a fitness center in Denver 1984(wish I'd trained with GM Dacascos there/then)
Hatsumi Ninjutsu under Lynus Grybinas in IL 1995
Began Kajukenbo again in 2006 under Sigung Mike Utechtt

in between all these I caught a few seminars in Aikido, Kung Fu, Judo
Don Gross
Twin Rivers Kajukenbo, Edwardsville, IL
Under Sigung Mike Utechtt

sleddog

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2007, 07:07:23 AM »
I started my training in 1967, at 14, in a Japanese system called Chito Ryu. My instructor had to move in 1969 (he was a university professor who received a job in another city), did Japanese Kempo for a couple of years. Met my first Kajukenbo instructor in 1971 been here ever since. Met Sijo in 1975, first trip to Hawaii in 1977. Started FMA in 1981. Since then added some stuff and met a lot of great people.

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • "Accept the things to which fate binds you"
    • Bono's Jeet Kune Do and Kajukenbo
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2007, 09:16:59 AM »
Started '72... kenpo, then started boxing, jujitsu, but the stand up kind.  Boxed, Kickboxed, wrestled. Kajukenbo, Jeet Kune Do.......then all that other stuff.....am I that old...started thinking of the neighborhood I started in and my mom's '65 Mercury Comet....
GM John E Bono DC
9th Degree Grand Master Gaylord Method Kajukenbo
Full Instructor-Hartsell's Jeet Kune Do Grappling Assoc
Chief Instructor Bono's Jeet Kune Do/Kajukenbo
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision