Author Topic: Girls and Wrestling  (Read 11624 times)

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • "Accept the things to which fate binds you"
    • Bono's Jeet Kune Do and Kajukenbo
Re: Girls and Wrestling
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2007, 08:00:00 PM »
Unless I'm mistaken, I think wrestling integration is just because there are to few gals wanted to wrestle to warrant a team......but I also agree with you......
GM John E Bono DC
9th Degree Grand Master Gaylord Method Kajukenbo
Full Instructor-Hartsell's Jeet Kune Do Grappling Assoc
Chief Instructor Bono's Jeet Kune Do/Kajukenbo
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision

Offline Brandi Ross

• Global Moderator
  • Brown Belt
  • Always a student.....
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2007, 08:25:41 PM »
Unless I'm mistaken, I think wrestling integration is just because there are to few gals wanted to wrestle to warrant a team......but I also agree with you......

Originally, the program here had girls go against guys during the infancy stage.  Now that there are more girls, they separated out into their own weight classes.  Unfortunately, there are several who still do not get the chance to compete until they go to the state tournament.  They just don't have anyone in their weight class.  There's a girl on this island that didn't compete all year, but will go to states as the Big Island Champion for her weight class.  She's going to states with little to no true experience.
Brandi Ross
Black Belt
Kingi's Kajukenbo
GM Rick Kingi
formerly under Sigung Alex Cadang

juribe

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2007, 08:54:29 AM »
In today's San Jose Mercury News Sports section, an article discussing these same issues as they related to high school wrestling:

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/16745485.htm

Offline supertim2003

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • "That's going to leave a mark"
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2007, 02:57:32 PM »
Nice find on the article, Brandi.  It makes several good points, just because a gal is looking for a greater challenge (by wrestling with boys) that to me, does not mean that she should get to.  I am not against girls wrestling with one another and until the sport builds popularity it going to be difficult for them to find competition, but I just don't think its fair to integrate a sport with that kind of physical contact for high school age kids.
Tim Morrow 1st Degree Black Sash Kajukenbo Tum Pai

Offline supertim2003

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • "That's going to leave a mark"
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2007, 02:59:20 PM »
Oops sorry Jackie about the name mix up in my previous post, but it was a good article all the same.
Tim Morrow 1st Degree Black Sash Kajukenbo Tum Pai

Offline Gints Klimanis

• Moderators
  • Black Belt
    • Gentlemen's Fighting Club
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2007, 09:44:57 PM »
Let's turn up the heat.  Why does the resistence to wrestling integration exist ?

Should *any* activities be allowed to be exclusive only to males or females, or at least be sex-segregated because they breach some behavioral norms that are too difficult to resocialize ?   Segregated restrooms are an nearly universal example.  though, \mMy university (Cornell) had some coed dormitories within the floor, and during later hours, desegregated the restrooms.

Female-only fitness classes/clubs exist, such as the popular "Curves" chain.  Does sex integrated *competitive* wrestling (different from practice) really push the integration issue too far ?  If wrestling works, how about a striking sport ?

"We do not condone the use of a toilet seat as a deadly weapon"
Go Shin Jutsu Kenpo, 3rd Degree Black Belt Prof. Richard Lewis
Bono JKD/Kajukenbo, Prof. John Bono, San Jose, CA
Baltic Dog, Dog Brothers Martial Arts

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • "Accept the things to which fate binds you"
    • Bono's Jeet Kune Do and Kajukenbo
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2007, 07:44:19 AM »
I think on all accounts it's all or none, either everyone is on the same team, or they are separate.  You can't let the gals on a guys team and not let some guy on a gals team if he wants.  Say he isn't very good and wants to compete at a lower level and thinks a gals team may suit him....Yikes...
I have always not liked when groups are reverse segregated.  Should you be able to have all Italian, Black, Asian or whatever clubs, or scholarships....well either you can or you can't.  To me who cares let people have the clubs they want and groups they want.

I was a member for many years at a bodybuilding gym that was all men. Very tough and nasty place. Fights all the time etc...
 A guy who trained there and his gal broke up.  She sued to train there, and she won, gals were let in.  One of the rooms became a gals locker room etc etc....they had the exclusive all men thing going, once they went coed they were driven under by the big gyms.....   
Now there is Curves everywhere......I don't know...
   I do understand if you are in a situation where there is no team for you so you try for the guys team in this case, but Curves doesn't care about that and gets away with it....It's tough out there.......
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 07:50:51 AM by KajuJKDFighter »
GM John E Bono DC
9th Degree Grand Master Gaylord Method Kajukenbo
Full Instructor-Hartsell's Jeet Kune Do Grappling Assoc
Chief Instructor Bono's Jeet Kune Do/Kajukenbo
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision