Author Topic: Passing of Professor Johnathan Vance  (Read 11394 times)

sgns1173

Passing of Professor Johnathan Vance
« on: February 20, 2007, 08:54:16 PM »
Aloha,

With deep sadness and sympathy, we have lost another martial arts practitioner from Hawaii. 
Professor Johnathan Leroy Vance, age 48, of Pearl City, died on February 10, 2007.  He was a former Senior Chief Instructor for Professor Martin Buell, Universal Kempo and Founder of Advanced Kempo-Karate System, 10th degree Black Belt.  Born in Fukuoka, Japan, and Civil Deputy Sheriff for 25 years.  Survived by wife, Jowella Vance; daughters, DeRae, Cazden and Jazdee Vance; brothers, Alec and Lee Pacheco; sister, Normandie Enderton; mother, Kumiko Vance; mother, Audrey Vance; grand- children, Mahina and Lilinoe. Visitation from 5:00 pm on Tuesday, February 20, 2007, at Borthwick Mortuary, Maunakea Vineyard Chapel. Service at 7:00 pm. Inurnment service on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 at 2:00 pm at Valley of the Temples, Garden of America.   
My condolences to his family.  He was a friend and an outstanding martial arts practitioner.  He surely will be missed by those who knew him.

Offline C Drake

• Blue Belt
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Passing of Professor Johnathan Vance
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 10:40:21 PM »
Very sorry to hear of your loss.   My prayers are with you and his family.
Cassidy Drake
In between affiliations right now

Offline Chief Instructor

• Moderators
  • Brown Belt
    • Hokkien Martial Arts
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 10:00:53 AM »
I had the honor and privilege of training with Professor Johnathan Vance in the nineties during his visits to Colorado. He was a formidable martial artist with an intense training regime. He was an awesome fighter and never hesitated to use his skills.

I also enjoyed the times after training when stories were told about how Johnathan Vance apprehended criminals. Once he was driving along running a personal errand when he saw someone from a wanted poster using a payphone. Without the aid of backup or weapons, he stopped his car and got his man. Johnathan Vance was the stuff legends are made of! He was also a great teacher. I will never forget him.

I offer my condolences to the Vance Ohana.

God Bless!
Sigung Andrew Evans, KSDI #888
Hokkien Martial Arts, Topeka, KS
http://www.TopekaKarate.com

Offline afdevera

• Blue Belt
  • Glendora Kajukenbo
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 09:32:56 PM »
Our deepest sympathy and our prayers to his Family...   
Aurelio Francis de Vera
GLENDORA KAJUKENBO
Under GM Doug Bunda
SGM Carlos Bunda
Master John Leoning
(Universal Kempo Karate School-former student under Inst. Keith Higa)

Offline dshioi

• Senior Black Belt
  • White Belt
  • M&M
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 02:11:14 AM »
Professor Vance was someone who I respected greatly.  I watched him fight in the seventies and I had the privilege of training with him during this period.  I will always remember him as the person who sent me flying backwards off the ground with one of his sidekicks.  His passing was quite a shock as I was with him in January and he was quite well and shared some of his thoughts on teaching with me.
I offer my condolences to his family, friends, and students.

JessieEscobedo

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007, 03:54:33 PM »
My deepest symphathy to the Vance family.  I didn't realize he passed away.  Professor Vance was my instructor at Wheeler Air Force Base in 1978 until I left in 1980.  I saw him fight several times in a semi-contact fights, but turned out to be full contact fights, which were alot better than the full contact fights back then.  My prayers go out to him and his family.  I remember the Christmas party when he introduce me to William K.S. Chow.

Offline DProsser

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • Psalm 144:1
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2007, 04:34:44 PM »
My heart goes out to family and friends.

Peace to you!
Deb Prosser
GM Bobby Rimando, Instr.
SGM Alex Rimando
Rimando Martial Arts, Las Vegas, Nv