Author Topic: Mitose/Ueshiba Connection?  (Read 5037 times)

Karazenpo

Mitose/Ueshiba Connection?
« on: April 12, 2003, 05:00:44 PM »
Several of us are still pursuing information on the training background of James M. Mitose. It has been found in an article by Dr. William Durbin that Mitose was awarded a Judan ranking, recognizing him as a remonstrant (overseer) of Aikido in the U.S. by the Aikikai under the direction of Moriehi Ueshiba, founder of Aikido. It stated they were friends. I would appreciate it if anyone can shed some further light on the validity of this statement.  Thank you. Shihan Joe
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by 1054443600 »

Karazenpo

Re: Mitose/Ueshiba Connection?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2003, 09:06:57 AM »
I have received information from Sigung Bishop from a reliable source that Mitose's certificate in regards to a 10th dan in Aikido is 'honorary' and the "Remonstrant" (overseer) for Aikido in the U.S. (both dated 03-22-70) had no value. Both certificates were awarded by Koichi Tohei Sensei and had no meaning and value and were awarded under false pretenses of promises by Mitose to collect money to build an Aikido Headquarters in the U.S. Tohei Sensei is the successor to Ueshiba. Again, please, I hope no one in the Kosho Shorei Ryu system takes offense to my post. This is merely a search for the truth. If the information was positive on these certificates I would have posted the information as soon as I got it. I promise to be 'fair and balanced'. Thank you.  Respectfully submitted, Shihan Joe Shuras

UPDATE 06-10-03: I received an e-mail from Shihan Mike Brown, historian of the Sei Kosho Shorie Kai, and he is researching this connection and hopefully he will be able to shed more light on it at a future time.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2003, 01:44:17 PM by Shihan Joe Shuras »

Offline John Bishop

• Senior Black Belt
  • Black Belt
  • Seek Knowledge, Not Rank
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2003, 11:32:53 AM »
Well, actually there are 3 lineages of the Mitose line of Kosho Ryu Kenpo.  The one that is probably the most true to the original teachings of the "Official Self Defense Club" of Hawaii receives very little publicity because it's leader is not out selling videos, books, and cross ranking everyone that wants to join him.

The "Official Self Defense Club" still exists in Hawaii in a unbroken line from James Mitose to it's present head.

In 1953 when Mitose quit teaching, he gave the "Official Self Defense Club" to Thomas Young.  Prof. Young affliated the club with Henry Okizaki's "American Jujitsu Institute".  It became the "karate" branch of the A.J.I.  

After only a year or two Prof. Young handed the club over to his student, Prof. Simeon Eli, who headed the club and the "karate" branch of the A.J.I. until his death in 1971.  

In 1971 the "Official Self Defense Club" was taken over by Eli's senior student, Prof. Charles Lee.  To this day Prof. Lee heads the "Official Self Defense Club", and is vice president of the karate branch of the American Jujitsu Institute.    

John Bishop  8th Degree-Original Method 
Under Grandmaster Gary Forbach
K.S.D.I. # 478, FMAA

"You watch, once I'm gone, all the snakes will start popping their heads up!"  Sijo Emperado

Karazenpo

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2003, 11:50:27 AM »
Thank you for clarifying that, Sigung. Perhaps Professor Lee could shed some light on the controversy. Do you know him? I wonder what the real differences are in the curriculum of Professor Lee, Thomas Mitose and Bruce Juchnik? That would be very interesting and maybe it would help answer some questions. I feel like we're on that old television show, "To Tell the Truth"........'Will the real 22nd descendant of Kosho Shorei Ryu Kempo please stand up!' lol.  Shihan Joe
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:05 PM by -1 »

Offline John Bishop

• Senior Black Belt
  • Black Belt
  • Seek Knowledge, Not Rank
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2003, 12:06:52 PM »
I don't know Prof. Lee very well.  I've only corresponded with him a few times.  I do have his current email address if anyone wants to contact him.  Here is a short biography of Prof. Lee if anyone is interested.

http://www.usadojo.com/biocharleslee.htm  
John Bishop  8th Degree-Original Method 
Under Grandmaster Gary Forbach
K.S.D.I. # 478, FMAA

"You watch, once I'm gone, all the snakes will start popping their heads up!"  Sijo Emperado

Karazenpo

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2003, 12:11:24 PM »
Sigung, I'll check into it. Please forward the address to my e-mail. Thanks. Shihan Joe :)