Author Topic: Why do I have an attitude in Kajukenbo  (Read 13889 times)

KSDIGUARD

Why do I have an attitude in Kajukenbo
« on: June 21, 2007, 05:29:54 PM »
 8)
Why do I take such pride and passion in my Kajukenbo?
Kind of like when your having dinner somewhere and a group of hard core bikers walk in the place.
There is a kind of fear that falls over the room.
That fear is respect, you know that if you push them you better have your bag packed.
in the old days when Kajukenbo would walk in to the tournament with their black gee on people would say here come those Kajukenbo guys.
like the old Oakland Raider the most penalized team in the game.
Sijo has told me many times, you know we are like the pirates of the martial arts.
now to me that is the roots of Kajukenbo
what ever els it has become today is something different to each of us.
Bikers
Oakland Raiders (Kenny Stabler era)
Pirates
Where is the nice guy in that?
Where is the softer side?
where is the tolerant side
Where is the give them another chance side?
Kajukenbo is hard mean and fast..............................................................................................period
you don't get a black belt until you are 18. (old school)
I can't see myself training with the attitude I have, standing next to some guy with the same rank or higher rank in Kajukenbo as me that did not bleed on a Kajukenbo Mat.
Whether it is because his school does not hit hard or because he came from another style with a wallet.
Kajukenbo is supposed to be bust em up.
That is our foundation and reputation.
I do not want that reputation tainted.
now I know some are going to say well you want people to fear you then you must just be a bully.
Wrong anyone that knows me will tell you I am a very nice person.
But in a fight yes I want you to fear me, I want you to know that I have trained for this and I am ready.

the following is the opening statement of an article in inside Kung Fu magazine April 1990

Kajukenbo practitioners have always been the black sheep of the martial arts families.
Their black kimonos show their true colors, revealing their black hearts.
If you pick a fight with them, they are already dressed to attend your funeral.
True believers understand what Professor Adriano D. Emperado, the founder of the kajukenbo system, means by bust em up.

if you think this is all a bunch of bull then I think you are in thre wrong system.

I am a true believer.
I love playing with children and watching them laugh without a care in the world.
And I love contact.

Greg Harper
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 12:52:15 PM by Kajupit »

Offline Sifu Sin Bin

• Holy Cow, I am a
  • Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • YOU SUCK, TRAIN HARDER
    • check it out
Re: Why do I have an attitude in Kajukenbo
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 06:50:18 PM »
If you have an attitude Prof Harper then so do I.  I think I have expressed my opinion many times before but I will do it one more time, Nothing torques me more than someone who wears any kind of rank in Kajukenbo and doesn't know pinian 1. Now I know some who no longer practice or teach pinians, I am not talking about them, I am talking those who come from a system who don't Count Emperado as their founder. Even those who may at one time had a common root like Cerio. Cero's people do not count Emperado as their founder therefore they are not Kajukenbo, catch my drift.
   I remeber when I was in Jr. High and my Dad decided it was time for me to begin training seriously, at that time I was taking Tae Kwon do from my science teacher after school. I went to my science teacher and told him I had to quit his class because I was going to take Kajukenbo his remark to me in an indignant manner was "So you just want to learn how to tear someones nuts off and leave them bleeding on the street" I replied " If that is what they do I can't wait to get started" The reputation has always existed as a tough no nonsense self defense system and I see it being hi-jacked by a bunch of Tae Kwon Do wannabes whose only concern is numbers. Maybe I am wrong but that has never been how my teacher ran things nor his teacher nor his teacher either who happened to be Emperado. This McDojo crap that people are trying to turn our style into should be purged. I really don't care how many people come to learn Kajukenbo my concern is that the ones who do carry their heads high with the "TRUE" confidence that they will prevail when the doo doo hits the fan.
     One more quick story, my Father used to come and watch my classes and he told me that if he had to train the way I train he would have quit learning martial arts. I trained with my Father's teacher (Bill Chun SR.) when he became my teacher, his workouts were no joke but they were not the Kaju workouts I grew up with.
   Bottom line, people in the world have reverence for what we do, they may not agree with our methods but they know we mean business and I for one would like it to remain that way.

Rant Done!!!!!!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 09:29:30 PM by Sifu Sin Bin »
Professor Rob Peladeau
8th Degree - KSDI #672
Loyal Student and lifelong friend of
Grand Master Emil Bautista
NorCal Headquarters of K.S.D.I. Ambassador

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • "Accept the things to which fate binds you"
    • Bono's Jeet Kune Do and Kajukenbo
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 01:15:22 AM »
Now this is what I call Good times......I remember the fear of the black Gi's.....I still have an old one no patches or writing, just a nasty old thing I wore to fight so no one would know where I was from.......a DQ here a DQ there.......
I have a test at my school this Sat morn, lower belt guys.  I told some of the younger guys if they draw blood on a guy testing during the test they get a free school tank top.......hopefully none of them check this Cafe before Sat......
  I think it's like anything we have a passion for it and we want it done right, not weak, not sloppy, not by a wiener that would turn and run on you if a fight broke......do you have my back, can a trust you in a pinch.......if you are hurt and knocked down will you get up to help still fighting with your heart and not your head.....
  I like this thread I feel good..........I think I'll grab a drink punch myself in the mouth and catch a little TV........I'll sleep well tonight knowing others are there.....wearing Black.....
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 01:18:03 AM by KajuJKDFighter »
GM John E Bono DC
9th Degree Grand Master Gaylord Method Kajukenbo
Full Instructor-Hartsell's Jeet Kune Do Grappling Assoc
Chief Instructor Bono's Jeet Kune Do/Kajukenbo
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision

jcordova

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 10:40:12 AM »
i've been doing kajukenbo since 1991 and all i can say is that I'm very fortunate  AND PROUD to have learned SIJO's art and of course still more to learn.  I thank SIJO and the founders for the KAJU creation in which it has opened my eyes to REALITY...  Yes in the beginning i got many bruises in my body, my jaw is a little messed up and a few broken teeth, but for that reality keeps my mind open not only in the streets but also for the protection of my family, friends and love ones.  Also in my career as a law enforcement officer keeps me alert and to get home to my family.  AT first i did.nt understand why the hard hitting and training, like my Sigung said this is real stuff. be I saw the other arts so soft, not that i'm putting other arts down, bt sure they are different in the training.  Anyways AMEN to what Prof. Harper said and i'm all for it.  God bless everyone in our true KAJUKENBO FAMILY AND GOD BLESS SIJO.   :)

Offline Gints Klimanis

• Moderators
  • Black Belt
    • Gentlemen's Fighting Club
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 07:05:56 PM »
We're all wasting our time.  Gotta learn how to do this :

http://www.drinkalot.com/Videos/569/Crushing_your_head.htm
"We do not condone the use of a toilet seat as a deadly weapon"
Go Shin Jutsu Kenpo, 3rd Degree Black Belt Prof. Richard Lewis
Bono JKD/Kajukenbo, Prof. John Bono, San Jose, CA
Baltic Dog, Dog Brothers Martial Arts

Offline RizZ

• Blue Belt
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 07:28:33 PM »
So I have been taking Kajukenbo for less than a year.  And throughout this year, I have had a few fellow students train with me.  However, after a few weeks, they stop showing up for class.  At first it sucked because Im the only student sparring with my teacher.  But now I love it because I learn so much more.  I have played basketball competitively for 8 years and I never thought Kajukenbo class was that rough.  Its a great workout, I get some brusies and cuts here and there, and maybe a bloody nose, or a poked eye, but nothing that would ever make me quit the art.  I remember this one kid who I trained Kaj with quit class, b/c he got thrown the wrong way and he bumped his head.  What a friggin' sissy.  He didn't want it bad enough....But anyway, Kajukenbo is awesome, the concepts, the ideals, and the asp kicking.....Although its always my teacher whooping my asp.....But its worth it
Scott Goldstein
Kajukenbo Black Belt - 1st Degree
Under Sifu Victor Ballesteros & Sifu Virgilio de Carvalho
Frontyard Fighting Arts - Nyack, NY

Lakan Isa
Pekiti-Tirsia Kali

Offline Sifu Terry McBride

• Global Moderator
  • Blue Belt
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 08:23:42 PM »
Speaking on behalf of the Kaju ladies.  Professor your are 110% right on!!!
A couple of months ago I was asked to teach at a seminar with 3 other instructors of 3 different arts.  So I went thinking wonder if it's like our seminars.  This was an all lady seminar, doesn't matter to me, I teach women's self defense and some gals are more comfortable with their own gender (generally we only have to explain things once  that way  ;), anyway my jaw kept dropping at the techniques.  Absolutely, no contact, some fairly good throws, but the techniques were weak at best and mostly lousy.

So of course I've got my cup on and when it's my turn to teach which I wanted to be last, I said.  I am Kajukenbo and we hit.  I expect to be hit and then showed them a technique I teach my gals.  It's a two hand lapel grab, trap them with your left forearm, then right hand punch the solar plexus as you step back with your left foot, right  palm to the nose then kick the groin.  It's easy, it's effective and one of my favorites.  Getting the female blackbelts to hit me was difficult at best.  A 6th degree Kenpoist, kept pulling her punch.  I finally said, you're a 6th degree blackbelt, can't you hit?  Finally made contact but couldn't hit the cup.  Two of the blackbelts did hit (I think because I put them on the spot with their students watching).

So then I get on my soapbox.  "Don't you teach your students hit?"  "Well of course we do" was the response.  "They hit the bags, they hit Bob (you know, the guy that never hits back and sits on top of a base).  I said, 'But you won't hit flesh.  That's who will be attacking you.  Also, you've got to know how to take a hit.  If a student never learns how to take a hit, what's going to happen when they are attacked and struck.  They'll likely freeze or succumb."  

All the way home I kept thinking.  Thank you, thank you powers that be that Joel Purvis was my instructor and thank you that it was Kajukenbo.  And yes, I told him what happened and thanked him personally.

So Professor, I agree.  I hope Kaju stays they way it is and does not water down.
Terry McBride, 5th degree under Professor Joel Purvis, under Grandmaster Emil Bautista
There is no planet sun or star could hold you, if you but knew what you are.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2007, 11:55:02 PM »
Isn't that head squishing from old Benny Hill?
GM John E Bono DC
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision

Offline jensad

• Senior Black Belt
  • Yellow Belt
  • We are not if you can afford it, we will award it
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2007, 02:13:37 PM »
I get excited and pumped up when I read posts about "having an attitude".  Kajukenbo ala GGM Gaylord is still a part of my soul even after 44 years in this Art.  The candle of the old ways is still burning brightly and still a beacon for all to follow and join us - ALL of us, as people first, but fighters second.

I was trained OLD SCHOOL.  In early 1964, (GGM Charles H. Gaylord. referred to here as "my teacher") told 10 of us, (that was all the students) that we were going to travel to a big time Shotokan school and do some point sparing.  We were also told we would be sparing 10 brown belts.  And we got very excited about us vs. them!

We were told by my teacher that if we lose to them, at our next class, we would, lets say, have a very long and very PHYSICAL work out. 

Well our rankings were as follows, 4 of us were BLUE belts, with about eight months training (we started when my teacher opens his first school in San Leandro in summer of 1963) and the other 6 were purple belts, with about four months training.

Well we literally beat the "s- - -"  out of their 10 and we did not understand when we lost all of our matches.  What we did not know, nor was my teacher told was, that point sparing to them was no contact, plus only neck to waist hitting areas.  And the referrees were ALL of the Shotokan instructor's black belts.

One month later, we sparred another style in an adjacent city and again we beat the s- - -  out of them and we lost.  This time we were disqualified due to CONTACT.

Oh , I almost forgot, in BOTH subsequent workouts at our school, which were always conducted by my teacher, we got the s- - -  beat our of us.  My wife to be was shocked how I looked at the end of the two hour workout. 

But the point here was, WE ALL WERE VERY PROUD to learn that the Shotokan head guy had called us 'STREET FIGHTERS!  And you know, I still am proud of that designation as the training saved my life in my law enforcement career. 

Good luck to all and stay strong, stay loyal to the Art of Kajukenbo.

jensad 
Jim Nordlie
Since 1963 a student of Great Grand Master Charles H. Gaylord.

Offline NYKaju

• Black Belt
  • Village Pariah
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2007, 04:04:05 PM »
Good story. Point sparring has always made me a sad sad panda....
Sensei/Coach James Mayors
Ronin Martial Arts
Kajukenbo under Dan Tyrrell
BJJ under Matt Serra
Judo under Mark Staniszewski
"You don't rise to the level of your expectations, you fall to the level of your training"

Offline Sifu Sin Bin

• Holy Cow, I am a
  • Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • YOU SUCK, TRAIN HARDER
    • check it out
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2007, 12:28:04 AM »
Respect my Authoritay
Professor Rob Peladeau
8th Degree - KSDI #672
Loyal Student and lifelong friend of
Grand Master Emil Bautista
NorCal Headquarters of K.S.D.I. Ambassador

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2007, 10:48:22 AM »
That made me laugh outloud.....!
GM John E Bono DC

souljahnyne

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2007, 11:29:52 PM »
I love threads like this..hehe. now, why do I have attitude in kajukenbo..? we are notorious. haha. like that one song i think by david draiman (i forgot his name) "forsaken". we are the black sheep of the martial arts world, no rules and no restrictions, we WILL fight hard til we collapse and die. i look in the miror everyday and see the battle scars that i've earnd and i that God, Sijo, and my Sifus, for giving to me the gift that is Kajukenbo. i've survived til this day because of it. it's become a part of my way of life, my personality, attitude,..even where i choose to do my buisness in the public bathroom and where i chooseto sit everywhere i go has been affected by Kajukenbo. i know it kinda sounds bizzare, but its true. i always look forward to test myself in a fight, but i never look for one nor do i try to provoke any tho. i think what one of my sifus said best brings the esence of kajukenbo to the table. here's wat he said:

If you come at me, I will defend myself.
                There is no cheaps shots, I'll survive at all costs.
                If you grab me, you will go down.
                If i have your arm, I'll break it.
                Then I'll proceed to strike you anywhere I can.
                I'll strike your face, and as I pass it with my fist,
                I'll grab your ear and try to rip it off.
                Or I'll rake it on the way back
                As I go across your face.
                And if i happen to come accross your eyes or nose,
                You can bet they're comming off as well.
                Because if you try taking my health
                I'll take something from you.
                             ~My friend and 1 of my teachers, Sifu Eric

Offline NYKaju

• Black Belt
  • Village Pariah
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2007, 08:40:21 AM »
".even where i choose to do my buisness in the public bathroom"

?!?!
Sensei/Coach James Mayors
Ronin Martial Arts
Kajukenbo under Dan Tyrrell
BJJ under Matt Serra
Judo under Mark Staniszewski
"You don't rise to the level of your expectations, you fall to the level of your training"

Offline MVPMatt

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2007, 09:20:51 AM »
Don't look at me?

Like hell am I going there!!!!  I have the 'tude, but I'm no "stall brawler", no way!!!!

Sifu Matthew Porter
3rd Degree Black Belt
Under Professor Rodney Alo
Athens, TX