Author Topic: training from the left and Right  (Read 1673 times)

Offline kajukenbo Dad

• White Belt
  • I'm a llama!
training from the left and Right
« on: July 23, 2003, 12:26:21 AM »
What is your opinion, on self-defence...Right and Left?? I have seen some very mixed-up students  ???

Karazenpo

Re:training from the left and Right
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2003, 09:31:01 AM »
   I introduce left hand techniques in the very beginning stages of training. I do this to balance off their coordination and reflexes. However, I also remind them that techniques are taught for two reasons. #1) As a vehicle to drive home the principles and concepts of a particular strategy not to be taken move for move in a fixed order in actual application. For instance, when I teach them a defense against a club attack the core of the technique or concept is this: #1) If you simply choose to avoid the attack and leave the scene then the concept would be to 'step to another plane' or 'duck' and then run. #2) If you have to disarm your attacker then your objective is to 'jam' him when appropiate and utilize in-close fighting concepts. To get these points across so the student can absorb them into their long term memory we have 'techniques' that represent these strategies. A side benefit from practicing these maneuvers is an improvement of their balance, coordination, speed, focus, timing, guaging distance and target acquisition. I also remind them when asked about left and right to look at it this way. When you spar you constantly adapt reflexively to your opponent no matter what side they attack from. Many fighters constantly switch sides while sparring anyway. Think of the street the same way, having your 'concepts' down you just simply reflexively respond as if on automatic pilot.
   One other point I'd like to make is certain techniques practiced are referred to by some as 'tactical' techniques. With very little modification they can be used against a variety of attacks including strikes from the left or right, grabs and even kicks. However, I firmly believe that once the student fully assimiliates the principles and concepts of fighting and they totally coordinate and balance themselves out, then to quote Ed Parker, "Kenpo is 'formulated' as encounters occur."
                                     Respectfully, Shihan Joe
« Last Edit: July 24, 2003, 09:32:47 AM by Shihan Joe Shuras »