Author Topic: KAJUKENBO IN 2008  (Read 4346 times)

Offline Mitch Powell

• Senior Black Belt
  • Brown Belt
KAJUKENBO IN 2008
« on: December 28, 2007, 10:33:41 PM »
The art of Kajukenbo starts its 61st year in 2008. Schools can be found all around the world and our beloved Sijo is still watching over us to make sure we stay true to our roots and continue to help the art grow. With that being said, I'd like to pose a few questions to you my friends and ask for some of your thoughts, suggestions and feedback.

1. What can we do better as an organizations?
2. What can we do better as teachers?
3. What can we do better as students?
4. How can we continue to help Kajukenbo grow in a positive way?
5. What are our biggest obstacles as an organization?
6. What can we do that will allow us to unite as Sijo would like us to do?
7. How should we address the issue of people who have received rank in Kajukenbo that really don't teach Kajukenbo?
8. Can the KOA exist along side KSDI?

Please feel free to respond to any of these questions or pose a few of your own. Your comments and views are important as we continue to evolve as an organization, as friends, as family.

Powell's MMA Academy (KSDI#549)
Grandmaster Mitch Powell (Emperado Method)
(707) 344-1655  coachmitchpowell@hotmail.com

Offline Sifu Sin Bin

• Holy Cow, I am a
  • Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • YOU SUCK, TRAIN HARDER
    • check it out
Re: KAJUKENBO IN 2008
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 11:03:56 PM »
I'll give this a go 8)

1. What can we do better as an organization?
          Install leadership that is based on qualification not soley on seniority

Follow Sijo's advice, "Be creative but remeber your roots"  There is no sense calling it Kajukenbo if   it can't be recognized as a unique system.

Be loyal to your teacher and treat them the way you want to be treated by your students.

See answers 1, 2, & 3

Cross ranking and Egos.

Be friendly towards all, and act like grown ups.

7. How should we address the issue of people who have received rank in Kajukenbo that really don't teach Kajukenbo?
     Ignore them and don't pretend you are their friend to their face and talk about them behind their  back.

The vision of KOA as percieved by GM Harper, Yes. The others, I will take a watch and see approach.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 11:06:39 PM by Sifu Sin Bin »
Professor Rob Peladeau
8th Degree - KSDI #672
Loyal Student and lifelong friend of
Grand Master Emil Bautista
NorCal Headquarters of K.S.D.I. Ambassador

Offline John Bishop

• Senior Black Belt
  • Black Belt
  • Seek Knowledge, Not Rank
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 12:48:41 AM »
Agree with Sigung Rob about good leadership.  Hopefully the leaders have both seniority and good leadership skills.

Agree again.  Be creative, but add this creativity to the strong base of techniques and training spirit that Sijo has passed down to us.   Make sure our students take pride in what it is that makes us Kajukenbo.  Think of your students as family, not customers.     

Be loyal to your instructor, and Sijo.  Remember you represent yourself, your instructor, your school, your art.  So train strong, and be an good example to all.  And try to learn something from everything you do.  Whether it comes from a good experience or bad.   

Make sure our growth comes from maintaining the high standards and quality of traditional Kajukenbo training.   Not from watered down accelerated programs, video home training, or cross ranking.  Good people will always seek out quality.

Agree again Brother Rob.  Ego's and cross ranking. 

Remember that Sijo is the tie that binds us together as one family.  Always put personal feelings aside and consider what is best for Kajukenbo as a whole.

Ignore them and don't perpetuate their myth.  Rank without knowledge is worthless. 

All Kajukenbo organizations can exist along side each other as long as they share the same goals of maintaining the high quality and traditions of Kajukenbo.  No matter what organization we belong to, we must never forget that we owe loyalty and respect to Sijo, and the thing we all have in common is a love of Kajukenbo.   
John Bishop  8th Degree-Original Method 
Under Grandmaster Gary Forbach
K.S.D.I. # 478, FMAA

"You watch, once I'm gone, all the snakes will start popping their heads up!"  Sijo Emperado

Offline Ron Baker

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 08:55:12 AM »
Agree again Brother Rob.  Ego's and cross ranking. 

Ignore them and don't perpetuate their myth.  Rank without knowledge is worthless. 

I think I understand the concern of cross-ranking, but I'm not positive.  Could Professor, Sigung--or anyone else--maybe PM me and provide some clarification.  Be assured that whatever information you provide will remain strictly confidential.

Mahalo in advance.

Ron B. 
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 09:02:19 AM by backfist »
Sigung (Shihan) Ron Baker
Kajukenbo 5280 MMA Foundation
Under GM Jason Groff
Ordonez Kajukenbo Ohana

Offline Mitch Powell

• Senior Black Belt
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 09:51:38 PM »
Backfist,
Here is an example of cross-ranking. I am a Kajukenbo professor. I go to a gathering and meet Bob Brown who teaches tae kwon do. Bob is a 4th degree and runs a school of his own. Bob and I become friends. Every once in a while Bob come by my school and learns a technique or two. I'd like a few more black belts under me so that I can appear more important. I decide to give Bob a 4th degree. Since I am a Kajukenbo teacher, I present Bob with a Kajukenbo certificate. Now Bob is a 4th degree in Kajukenbo. He has now been cross-ranked. Out of the blue, Bob has just passed up every Kajukenbo student who is a 3rd degree or below and Bob has never really done any Kajukenbo training. 

This has been done on many occasions, which has caused some much bad blood and disappointment. Another is you pay enough money to the right person and you buy the rank you want, regardless of your previous rank or knowledge of Kajukenbo.

If the KOA and the new KSDI board of advisors are able to stop this practice, Kajukenbo will benefit greatly.
Powell's MMA Academy (KSDI#549)
Grandmaster Mitch Powell (Emperado Method)
(707) 344-1655  coachmitchpowell@hotmail.com

Offline Ron Baker

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 07:12:32 AM »
Thanks for the knowledge, Professor Powell. 
Sigung (Shihan) Ron Baker
Kajukenbo 5280 MMA Foundation
Under GM Jason Groff
Ordonez Kajukenbo Ohana

Offline Hook

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 02:45:31 PM »
Professor Powell, I agree with Sigung Peladeau and Professor Bishop.

I would like to address questions 4 and 7, though.

Q 4. We, as teachers and students need to bring Kajukenbo to the forefront of the martial arts world. We need to show everyone WHY Kajukenbo is hardcore, and that we are a great system. I know that publicity can bring out the worst, and that there are individuals already LEACHING off of the Kajukenbo name. I think that we could limit this by keeping to the old ways even as we embrace new ideas.
Q 7. On this I tend to differ slightly from the esteemed Sigung and Professor. I agree that they should be given no creedence, but think that they should be dealt with.(those charlatans who claim to be kajukenbo) I think ignoring the problem will not make it go away, but give it more of a chance to grow. I propose the idea of challenging someone with "suspect" credentials, and even those with proper citation who are only Kajukenbo in name. My belief is that we could "ask" them, ever so nicely, to PROVE they are Kajukenbo.

Please forgive me if I have overstepped my place. I am just tired of hearing that someone has trained in kajukenbo and yet doesn't even know what a grab art is, or has no idea who Sijo Emperado is.

To all I wish a Happy New Year.
Humbly,
Sibak Raymond Hook

« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 02:48:57 PM by Hook »
Sibak Raymond Hook

Eternal Beginner

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2007, 03:13:32 PM »
1. Listen to Sijo
2-4, 6 Shut up and Train
5. Ourselves
7. Get over it
8. Sure...but will they choose to?

Offline Kaju Bear

• BlackBelt
  • Yellow Belt
  • Not by Power, Nor by Might, Only by Spirit!
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2007, 05:40:52 PM »
What can we do better as an organizations?

-   unite within our individual branches and establish an international governing body and headquarters
-   establish a core of technical standards  universally accepted and taught throughout Kajukenbo regardless of branch.

What can we do better as teachers?

-   teach established core standards
-   never stop giving and learn to forgive
-   acknowledge our personal limitations and not hide or make excuses for them but strive to constantly improve ourselves despite our weaknesses.
-   continue to be a student, always be learning about other arts

What can we do better as students?

-   train as often as we can
-   help other students to develop
-   assist our teacher‚Äôs in their efforts to make Kajukenbo better

How can we continue to help Kajukenbo grow in a positive way?

-   recognize that our system is not as organized as it could be
-   participate in regional Kajukenbo gatherings
-   contribute to the systems development with your own professional skill sets

What are our biggest obstacles as an organization?

-   ego: we all need to set them aside for the good of the system
-   stop attempting to re-invent the wheel with organization, look to others and follow their example ‚Äì see
                judo link :
-   lack of shared universal focus and goals as system

What can we do that will allow us to unite as Sijo would like us to do?

-   put system first before individual desires or personal uniqueness
-   enforce Sijo‚Äôs will and guidance
-   support one another
-   seniors instructors: take charge and make it happen see first three bullets of this answer on how.

How should we address the issue of people who have received rank 
in Kajukenbo that really don't teach Kajukenbo?

-   established international authority now by Sijo that authenticates promotional requirements and which   has sanctioning authority to revoke, disclaim, and disassociate and member found to be not maintaining the established Kajukenbo standards whether it be personal conduct or core technical standards.
-   stop this practice if you‚Äôre a teacher doing it. Plain and simple it is unethical and insults every Kajukenbo student who earned their rank through dedicated hard training.

Can the KOA exist along side KSDI?

- yes, but I believe the real question should be will it help us unite, establish order and provide structure? 

Sifu Morg Olsen
3rd degree, Emperado Method, Senior Grand Master Kaanana
1st degree, Tum Pai, Grand Master Robert Heuer

Offline Kaju Bear

• BlackBelt
  • Yellow Belt
  • Not by Power, Nor by Might, Only by Spirit!
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2008, 02:50:05 PM »
This Kodokan Judo link I missed adding to my last posting on this subject.

http://www.kodokan.org/

They have established a system of organizational testing requirements for black belt and above. They have an elected board of senior members that enforce the organizations standards on members throughout the world. They have established a huge organization headquarters where they can hold their annual events, testing exams for certification, tournaments, run instruction camps or seminars, etc. These are just a few goals that Kajukenbo could use to help us establish stability, unity, and universal standards.
Sifu Morg Olsen
3rd degree, Emperado Method, Senior Grand Master Kaanana
1st degree, Tum Pai, Grand Master Robert Heuer

frank w.

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2008, 03:58:47 PM »
Professor Powell...what is the KOA?  Frank

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • "Accept the things to which fate binds you"
    • Bono's Jeet Kune Do and Kajukenbo
GM John E Bono DC
9th Degree Grand Master Gaylord Method Kajukenbo
Full Instructor-Hartsell's Jeet Kune Do Grappling Assoc
Chief Instructor Bono's Jeet Kune Do/Kajukenbo
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision

Offline Tribullsifu

• BlackBelt
  • White Belt
    • Tribull Mixed Martial Arts Centers
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2008, 06:58:00 PM »
my 2 cents

Stand together under one man. Sijo

As Kajukenbo teachers we have to progress to a stronger level of professionalism to progress the style outside of the parks and garages and into commercial locations. Kickboxing schools, MMA schools, The gracie schools, Boxing schools  all have the stigma of being tough schools even though they  are commercial. But allot of kaju instructors believe they have to stay non commercial in order to stay tough, not true. ( my opinion)     

Train your A$$ off and pay attention to the higher belts who have been there and done that before you.

Bring it to the masses, put it in magazines, and on TV and on the internet so everyone can see our great style Krav maga has had tremendous success by doing this.

Kajukenbo is too fractioned and not united to many cook's in the kitchen and all are thinking they are the head Chef. ( no offense to all the cooks ha ha)

Have Sijo sit down and make some decisions on who really should be makeing the call for their perpective banch and for kajukenbo as a whole.

7. How should we address the issue of people who have received rank in Kajukenbo that really don't teach Kajukenbo? You have to box to be a boxer, you have to grapple to be a grappler, you have to train Kajukenbo in order to considered Kajukenbo. A good way to fix this issue is to have some sort of Kajukenbo Panel that would review your ability to hold Rank periodically kind of like a renewal test or a spot check. If they have no knowledge of kajukenbo or physical techniques of kajukenbo they wont pass the renew test therefore wont hold rank in the art.

I am not familiar with KOA so I can't comment
Sifu Christian Smith - 4th Degree
Tribull Mixed Martial Arts Centers - San Jose
Under G.M. Harper - Kajupit