Author Topic: HUMAN WEAPON SHOW ON THE HISTORY CHANNEL  (Read 29763 times)

Sensei Mike

Re: HUMAN WEAPON SHOW ON THE HISTORY CHANNEL
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2007, 02:22:24 AM »
The escrima show was pretty good. Chambers gets a finger whacked pretty good and addition to getting beat with a wrapped steel rod. I was surprised they even showed any of the da kine fights. I sure they got some nasty emails from the PETA folks.

I liked this one better than Muay Thai episode.

handsofstone23

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2007, 03:02:04 AM »
i agree, it was WAY better

Offline NYKaju

• Black Belt
  • Village Pariah
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2007, 03:11:17 AM »
i agree, it was WAY better

Ruben....like myself...you have no reason to be awake on a forum right now ;)
Sensei/Coach James Mayors
Ronin Martial Arts
Kajukenbo under Dan Tyrrell
BJJ under Matt Serra
Judo under Mark Staniszewski
"You don't rise to the level of your expectations, you fall to the level of your training"

Offline Rosales

• BlackBelt
  • White Belt
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2007, 03:21:28 PM »
Ok, I think I'm up to date now.

Howzit bra?

Sigung Ray Rosales 7th Degree Kajukenbo
Affiliations:
Grandmaster Gary Forbach - Original Method Kajukenbo
Guro Dan Inosanto - Kali, JKD, Silat
Arjan Chai - Muay Thai
Nicolas Saignac - Savate
Burt Richardson - Kali, JKD, Silat, Savate, Muay Thai blend

Offline Gints Klimanis

• Moderators
  • Black Belt
    • Gentlemen's Fighting Club
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2007, 11:36:24 PM »
Here is a link to the Human Weapon "Escrima Stickfighting"  episode :

WARNING:  this is a 360 MByte download, and it's better than anything you'll see on YouTube.

http://tinyurl.com/yt9y9l

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"We do not condone the use of a toilet seat as a deadly weapon"
Go Shin Jutsu Kenpo, 3rd Degree Black Belt Prof. Richard Lewis
Bono JKD/Kajukenbo, Prof. John Bono, San Jose, CA
Baltic Dog, Dog Brothers Martial Arts

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • "Accept the things to which fate binds you"
    • Bono's Jeet Kune Do and Kajukenbo
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2007, 11:57:23 PM »
The guy fought pretty weak in the last one on karate.......and talked like he fought great....weird....
GM John E Bono DC
9th Degree Grand Master Gaylord Method Kajukenbo
Full Instructor-Hartsell's Jeet Kune Do Grappling Assoc
Chief Instructor Bono's Jeet Kune Do/Kajukenbo
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision

Offline Mickey

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • EVOLVE AND CONQUER
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2007, 12:14:20 AM »
 ;D  Yea..He got worked pretty well..lol.

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2007, 12:20:21 AM »
I'm sure he felt awesome the next day :'(
GM John E Bono DC
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision

Offline Gints Klimanis

• Moderators
  • Black Belt
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2007, 12:32:05 AM »
Overall,I liked the Escrima Stickfighting episode.  I've always wondered why Filipino weapons arts never had more of a presence given that their weapons arts are so impressive.  So, I'm glad the Discovery channel aired this program.   Some of the training stunts, such as the water buffalo wrestling, were competely impressive and something I had never seen before. 

That gym didn't look gritty and urban, as the narrator stated.  That matted gym looked quite cushy on the video.  Although the video editors probably chose showy techniques to make a visually interesting program, why did the teachers provide such material with beautiful rolls and disarms?  At least those showoff technique scenes were redeemed by the old man telling the Americans not to dance during the tire striking scene.  Love it!

It is frequently voiced that Escrima is an ancient art.  Much of what is seen in Escrima today has been created by new teachers.  Just ask them any teacher, and they'll proudly tell you that they made their own system.  Then, where are the old techniques and systems?  Ferdinand Magellan's death is often cited as a marker for the superiority of the fighting style without mentioning the historical records of the relative numbers of the armies involved.  1000 men just throwing rocks or just charging a couple dozen Conquistadors will also win.

Then, there is that inane stickfighting tournament footage with full body padding.  Full body padding is great for practice, but showing footage of "champions" whacking away at some padded mass ?  Somewhere, buried in there, is the man, I think.

The outdoor training scenes in the jungle with Gahe were just plain ol' cool.  Just watch them.

The staged final fight scene was quite different from the Muay Thai in that with a few days of training, there isn't an obvious difference between the champion and the visitor. Was that fighting supposed to be the "old" way?   Why use a metal rod sheathed in some padding?  Just use a rattan stick or just the metal rod.  This had too many rules to be anything near the old, warrior way.  What did we notice?  No stick strikes to the head or legs, no kicks, no elbows/punches, no clinching, no kicking/knees.  What?  Disarms are cake when your opponent is limited by so many rules.  And they end the match from a bone bruise to the finger of the empty hand?   Why would anyone call a match for such a superficial injury? 

« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 01:45:00 AM by Gints Klimanis »

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2007, 12:36:04 AM »
Gints you're one show behind....
GM John E Bono DC

Offline Gints Klimanis

• Moderators
  • Black Belt
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2007, 12:43:17 AM »
Gints you're one show behind....

Yeah, I missed DVRing these episodes, so I'm finding them on the TV postings on UseNet. 

Offline Gints Klimanis

• Moderators
  • Black Belt
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2007, 01:52:24 AM »
Hey Brother Jason,

Was the Bandalan WEKAF in Hawaii ?

As for your comments on the WEKAF style fighting, I totally agree.  In the interest of protecting the players and maximizing the amount of time the fight is a stick fight, the fighting has been reduced to a match between two human heavy bag targets.   It's fun and a tough workout, especially in a room that has been depleted of oxygen by the spectators.  A lot of the flyers for such tournaments read "Full Contact".  The format can be saved with a few simple modifications, although they would select for the tough fighters.  The major change would be to trade in the wimpy (thin, short, deskinned)  stick + body padding for a padded stick with no body padding.  Then, increase the duration of the rounds from one to three minutes.  After 60 seconds, there will be a lot more blocking action as the players are too tired to strike as often.

G

Offline Suspicion

• White Belt
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2007, 02:49:32 AM »

WEKAF is the sport version of FMA, the real stickfighting is lethal and fast. I agree wearing all that gear takes away from the  real essence of the art ( not realistic or fear of really getting hit) to me it looks like Bozo the clown hitting someone on the head! Hell, People I train with in FMA do WEKAF as well as My Grandmaster, but he'll tell you just like our tournament sparring its not realistic. A real fight if it was shown would take no less than a few minutes if real sticks were used. That's why they had so many rules. Have you ever been hit in the hand with a escrima stick? unless you have, it's hard to describe the pain even if its just on your hand.  Besides in a real stick fight, thats exactly how I'm gonna disarm you by striking your hand! For example a rataan stick can break a coconut easily in one blow, imagine if you get hit in the hand or noggin? ;D
John Santa Catalina "Semper Fidelis"
Kajukenbo Bautista Method under proffesor J Corpus, jurisdiction of GrandMaster E. Bautista NorCal HQ  K.S.D.I
Kombatan Modern Arnis under GrandMaster Warlito Concepcion /Eskabo Daan under GrandMaster R. Castro, jurisdicton of Great GrandMaster E. Presas I.P.M.

Offline Gints Klimanis

• Moderators
  • Black Belt
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2007, 03:26:13 AM »
A real fight if it was shown would take no less than a few minutes if real sticks were used. That's why they had so many rules. Have you ever been hit in the hand with a escrima stick? unless you have, it's hard to describe the pain even if its just on your hand.  Besides in a real stick fight, thats exactly how I'm gonna disarm you by striking your hand! For example a rataan stick can break a coconut easily in one blow, imagine if you get hit in the hand or noggin? ;D

Actually, I've fought at a number of Dog Brother Gatherings and have taken hits in the hand.  I'm one of the few that fights there without elbow and knee pads, though even there, only the soft volleyball pads are allowed.  The hand strikes don't seem to hurt as much as in class , but I have to admit I typically need a month after the event until I can close my hands normally.

I'm not advocating getting hit in the noggin, but all of that padding isn't necessary.  Given that I spar with padded sticks (thin rattan with basic water pipe padding, encased in thin nylon sheath) quite often without all of that body padding, I would expect that the higher level WEKAF matches would be done that way as well.  That's what we saw in the History Channel special.  Why don't we do that here, only with the WEKAF helmet ?

I don't see all of those WEKAF rules necessary for premier stick fights.  The rules just seem to reduce WEKAF stick fighting to the equivalent of point sparring. 

That said, I enjoy a WEKAF tournament about once a year.  It's great fun and exercise.

Offline Suspicion

• White Belt
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2007, 12:55:26 PM »
 The 2 Escrima Gradmasters are part of my Kajukenbo family they are both under Great Grandmaster Ernesto Presas and is part of GrandMaster Emil Bautsta's extended family. I do not consider them as clubs but as a extension of my Kajukenbo Grandmaster E Bautista's diverse teachings and will. :D As for Subic , who knows my Marine unit was one of the last units to go there to dismantle the base :'( it's probably changed  a whole ton , I was told it was taken over by Japanese and German companies. Knives is a tricky subject, I was taught several techniques from the Marine Corps and Kaju/FMA teachers, and I've understood this, a Knife fight, is a fight of demoralizing (bleeding) your opponent to the point your adversary makes the mistake of comitting into a bad position. Would you agree even in our Kaju or any other MA technique it's all based on the other individual committing to any of the known 4 angles or thrusts to trigger the technique(ie. knife 1 knife 2 etc.) Smart knife fighters will never commit so easily forward :-\
John Santa Catalina "Semper Fidelis"
Kajukenbo Bautista Method under proffesor J Corpus, jurisdiction of GrandMaster E. Bautista NorCal HQ  K.S.D.I
Kombatan Modern Arnis under GrandMaster Warlito Concepcion /Eskabo Daan under GrandMaster R. Castro, jurisdicton of Great GrandMaster E. Presas I.P.M.