Author Topic: HUMAN WEAPON SHOW ON THE HISTORY CHANNEL  (Read 29929 times)

Offline Dean Goldade

• Senior Black Belt
  • Blue Belt
  • Train hard & enjoy the ride!!!!
    • Goldade Kajukenbo Ohana
Re: HUMAN WEAPON SHOW ON THE HISTORY CHANNEL
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2007, 08:36:04 AM »
A small side note. One of the Pankration teachers was an old kajukenbo student of mine many years ago. He was the one with the long pony tail, Aris makris. Small World.

G.M. Gelinas,
Was he the guy up in the mountain that had them training running with the log... He was the best one..

Cool..

Take care

Dean
Student of the arts
www.austinkaju.com

returning student

« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2007, 10:17:08 AM »
Changing the subject a little. Has anyone ever trained in Krav Maga? I would like some more info. A friend of mind

studies in Rancho Cucamonga. He ask if I would like to cross train with him?

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • "Accept the things to which fate binds you"
    • Bono's Jeet Kune Do and Kajukenbo
« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2007, 10:54:12 AM »
I worked out with some guys a few times here in N. CA.........hummmmmmm....Kaju thank you....the weapons take aways for instance grabbed the blade or grabbed a slide of an auto pistol....
GM John E Bono DC
9th Degree Grand Master Gaylord Method Kajukenbo
Full Instructor-Hartsell's Jeet Kune Do Grappling Assoc
Chief Instructor Bono's Jeet Kune Do/Kajukenbo
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision

Offline Wado

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • llama llama
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2007, 12:22:12 PM »
Changing the subject a little. Has anyone ever trained in Krav Maga? I would like some more info. A friend of mind

studies in Rancho Cucamonga. He ask if I would like to cross train with him?

We have a student that trains with us, mostly private lessons, that also trains in Krav Maga.  I'm not sure who is his Krav Maga teacher, but he also trains under the same former Army Ranger that I trained under in the early 1990's for tactical stuff so I can relate to a lot of the stuff he does.

Seems to me that Krav Maga is all attack, not much different than skipping the first few years of formal training and going right for the instinctive animal level of fighting, IMHO.  Very good and progressive stuff.

What I should warn you about, is that they don't seem to have any preset patterns, it is all about continuous flow of attack.  So they have techniques but they put them together in any order that comes, nothing is really scripted. 

This is what higher level sparring is like for most of us, not the one step or preset patterns usually drilled at lower ranks in more traditional martial arts.  The warning is because I have a scar on my hand to remind me of when he bit me during grappling drills.  You may be bit on the hand or the throat, as well as any other technique at any time.  Of course this is good stuff, IMO.  I believe I understand why you immediately go for the throat when someone bites you.

I would say definitely give it a try.  Cross-training can be a great learning experience.
W. Yamauchi
Mateo Kajukenbo
Seattle, Washington

Offline sifutimg

• Senior Black Belt
  • Blue Belt
  • Iron sharpens iron-so another man sharpens another
« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2007, 02:01:52 PM »
Hey Gints,

I want to thank you so much for posting the links for the episodes.  I don't have cable so it's been great to be able to download and watch.  Much appreciated sir.

Cheers,
Tim
Grandmaster Tim Gagnier
Student of Great Grandmaster Charles Gaylord & Grandmaster Sid Lopez
Chief Instructor Pacific Wind Kajukenbo
Student Forever
Yamhill, Oregon

Offline Gints Klimanis

• Moderators
  • Black Belt
    • Gentlemen's Fighting Club
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2007, 04:19:35 PM »
I'll continue to post and host these files as long as people watch them.  Let the comments roll !

At some point, I'll have to delete the older files as I'm running out of space on that server.  So, download any that you want as they're posted.
"We do not condone the use of a toilet seat as a deadly weapon"
Go Shin Jutsu Kenpo, 3rd Degree Black Belt Prof. Richard Lewis
Bono JKD/Kajukenbo, Prof. John Bono, San Jose, CA
Baltic Dog, Dog Brothers Martial Arts

Vala Au

« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2007, 12:45:14 AM »
Thanks Gints,

I'm in the same boat as Sigung Tim.

Offline sifutimg

• Senior Black Belt
  • Blue Belt
  • Iron sharpens iron-so another man sharpens another
« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2007, 12:12:30 PM »
Comments rolling...

In the Krav Maga segment concerning knife attacks I was wondering what people thought.  The bursting concept was interesting.

Cheers,
Tim
Grandmaster Tim Gagnier
Student of Great Grandmaster Charles Gaylord & Grandmaster Sid Lopez
Chief Instructor Pacific Wind Kajukenbo
Student Forever
Yamhill, Oregon

Offline Wado

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • llama llama
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2007, 12:48:54 PM »
Comments rolling...

In the Krav Maga segment concerning knife attacks I was wondering what people thought.  The bursting concept was interesting.

Cheers,
Tim

Found this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6j0II4RPqU

This is the first I've heard of the term bursting but a few years back I remember reading an article about Shotokan karate and TKD and how they learn to generate power from the legs as an alternative to rotational power with some applications.  This is also the same power concept used in karate when combining the rising block with an vertical elbow strike such as used when too close to extend a punch. So it isn't anything new.

I believe if you breakdown the technique, it still comes down to principles for unbalancing.  Observe that the centerline is taken, the feet are moved into the front kuzushi (point of weakness in balance) and the target is "thrown" out of it through the rear side kuzushi (e.g. unbalanced to the rear off the edge of the foot).  This would be considered good in Aikido and Judo. 

The video dialog didn't mention much about unbalancing principles, focusing more on the raw force generated, but the video image clearly shows the bigger picture of what is going on. IMHO.

W. Yamauchi
Mateo Kajukenbo
Seattle, Washington

Offline Gints Klimanis

• Moderators
  • Black Belt
« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2007, 02:09:34 PM »
Found this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6j0II4RPqU

This is the first I've heard of the term bursting but a few years back I remember reading an article about Shotokan karate and TKD and how they learn to generate power from the legs as an alternative to rotational power with some applications.  This is also the same power concept used in karate when combining the rising block with an vertical elbow strike such as used when too close to extend a punch. So it isn't anything new.

Thanks for posting the video clip.  As you've mentioned, this isn't anything new:  right out of several Kaju Arts I know.  But it's still informative to see the human character animation in stop and slow motion.  New terminology is just word dazzle.  The agenda is to hijack techniques such that they appear to be create, perfected or at least improved by the presenter. 

Offline Wado

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • llama llama
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2007, 02:42:47 PM »
Thanks for posting the video clip.  As you've mentioned, this isn't anything new:  right out of several Kaju Arts I know.  But it's still informative to see the human character animation in stop and slow motion.  New terminology is just word dazzle.  The agenda is to hijack techniques such that they appear to be create, perfected or at least improved by the presenter. 

You're welcome.

I too found it informative.  If in any way I sounded negative about it, I did not intend that.  As for it being in Kaju Arts, funny you would say that, just a few weeks ago Sigung Mateo and I were working on his presentation for an upcoming seminar and the very first entry move uses the "burst" concept.

I could only comment on the burst stuff because I have not seen the whole Krav Maga episode.  I will have to try to see that, but I heard from others that some of the knife stuff grabbed the blade and a few things like that.  I would want to see the context for which they use these techniques before commenting.
W. Yamauchi
Mateo Kajukenbo
Seattle, Washington

Offline Gints Klimanis

• Moderators
  • Black Belt
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2007, 04:28:23 PM »
I liked the show on Pankration, complete with historical legitimization of martial arts, an important element of male culture.  I'm glad to see Bill Duff finally get a chance to fight.  The Greeks did a great job of adding some theatrical qualities to the fight with the uniform and fighting chamber, complete with columns.   Though that doesn't add to the fighting, I like it because it constantly reminds you of where the show is, rather than being another roll-around by two semi-naked guys.  Bill Duff outweighed the Greek by substantial margin, and I have to give full courage to the Greek for taking the match. 

Offline Gints Klimanis

• Moderators
  • Black Belt
« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2007, 04:32:24 PM »
Here is the Judo episode 5 for "Human Weapon" :
http://tinyurl.com/29twlp

I liked the training sequences and the simple fact that martial arts are a universal language.  The match and drama were enjoyable to watch.  Though, I would have liked to have seen Bill fight the Judo champion.  Although it's possible that the match would have been less interesting to watch given Bill's lower level of experience in judo type fighting, I get the feeling that Bill was turned down due to his size.  A historical tribute to Judo, jujitsu  and the entire episode would have been to watch a smaller man beat a bigger man  instead of a stockier man beat a fit man nearly his size.

Offline Sifu Sin Bin

• Holy Cow, I am a
  • Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • YOU SUCK, TRAIN HARDER
    • check it out
« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2007, 06:58:06 PM »
Wado,
  You have felt bursting before. It is what I did to you in Washington I just didn't use that term.
Professor Rob Peladeau
8th Degree - KSDI #672
Loyal Student and lifelong friend of
Grand Master Emil Bautista
NorCal Headquarters of K.S.D.I. Ambassador

Offline Gints Klimanis

• Moderators
  • Black Belt
« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2007, 08:22:15 PM »
After I drink a 7-11 Big Gulp 128 ouncer, I think about bursting.