Author Topic: How long should a black belt test be?  (Read 21769 times)

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • "Accept the things to which fate binds you"
    • Bono's Jeet Kune Do and Kajukenbo
Re: How long should a black belt test be?
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2007, 02:31:46 PM »
As Gints mentioned at the end of the Black Belt test the student testing fights me full contact no protective gear and 4 oz MMA gloves, with my brother Matt it was bare fisted........someday when I'm old I'll pass it to one of my black belts.....but it is GT
GM John E Bono DC
9th Degree Grand Master Gaylord Method Kajukenbo
Full Instructor-Hartsell's Jeet Kune Do Grappling Assoc
Chief Instructor Bono's Jeet Kune Do/Kajukenbo
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision

Offline Dean Goldade

• Senior Black Belt
  • Blue Belt
  • Train hard & enjoy the ride!!!!
    • Goldade Kajukenbo Ohana
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2007, 03:04:02 PM »
I have also seen other Gaylord schools promote the candidate and then all of the black belts get to hit him/her.  That was also handed down early on.  I felt sad one night as one candidate got punched in the stomach about 100 times after being awarded his black belt.  But he got through it - he met his goal.

Good luck to all and stay strong and safe.

jensad

Professor Nordlie,
In about 97 or 98, at the KAA family reunion in Oakland I promoted one of my black belts at the banquet. We did a demo and then he got his punch from all Black Belts in the room. There were a bunch of them.... All the black belts in the room hit him, then I hit him, then Yoshii hit him then all the Professors, and finally GGM Gaylord.

I tested him in Texas and told him he could be promoted there, or at the reunion in Cali... I told him what to expect and he chose to do it at the reunion... After it was over I asked him if how he felt, and he said he wouldn't trade it for anything... We did put back some liquid pain medication after the banquet though..  ;)

People still ask me about him.... He took a lickin but kept on tickin... He now teaches a small group in Kansas City..

Good memories.

Dean.
Student of the arts
www.austinkaju.com

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2007, 04:28:33 PM »
We traditionally at my school allow any Kaju black belt present a punch after they pass their BB test and then also at the next Black Belt workout.......Esther was promoted and her next event was GGM Gaylord's birthday....so she had I would guess 60, 70 plus people punching her.....she took it good, though we did see a few big guys with bad aim him the sternum etc.....I used those guys for demos in the seminar the next day....and should them some Kaju Love.....
GM John E Bono DC
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision

Offline Gints Klimanis

• Moderators
  • Black Belt
    • Gentlemen's Fighting Club
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2007, 05:02:02 PM »
In my club, the black belt test included (past tense) fighting every "colored" belt in the club twice.  The last time I saw that was in 1994 , and I was included in the long list of fighters.  If you're good for a few rounds, image maybe sixteen rounds.  Imagine  the humbling of a purple belt kicking your butt because you just can't move. The tradition wasn't continued for the next black belt and stopped since.  So, I didn't have to do that for my black belt test, even though I prepared mylsef for that.  If I had my own club, I'd include that excellent tradition.
"We do not condone the use of a toilet seat as a deadly weapon"
Go Shin Jutsu Kenpo, 3rd Degree Black Belt Prof. Richard Lewis
Bono JKD/Kajukenbo, Prof. John Bono, San Jose, CA
Baltic Dog, Dog Brothers Martial Arts

Vala Au

« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2007, 05:22:31 PM »
We do somethin similiar to that Gints.  The awardee must fight everybody in the school individually, then all at once at the end.  Throw in some stick, knife, ground fighting intermittenly.  Lucky we have a small school and only a few blackbelts.

Offline jensad

• Senior Black Belt
  • Yellow Belt
  • We are not if you can afford it, we will award it
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2007, 05:28:59 PM »
This is a first for me - two posts in one day.  Hey everyone, ain't Kajukenbo great!!!!

I too up until my chest got operated on last year and I hip gave out, (to be replace soon) would spar the black belt candidates at the END of their ordeal and as many have said, full contact.

GGM Gaylord mentioned to me a few months ago, something I had forgotten long ago.  One night at the first school GGM  told four of us brown belts, (Bambino, Boles, O'Reilly, and myself) to attack him for real.  So we did!

Well Bambino and I came at GGM, and the other two I guess came in after we did.  But GGM told me that I was fortunate I ducked down as GGM was punching at  me as he punched full force, and he just missed my face.  Glad he missed as he said he would have crushed my face.  Ann that something my wife would have been upset about.  But then others have split my face open over the years too.    Nothing unique or unusual, just good old style Kajukenbo for real.

Its amazing to me the human spirit that can direct the body to endure so much pain, yet, at least for me, I got used to it. And I know that all of the readers have too.  On the street, when I was confronted by individuals, just delivering a block, or a knuckle in the spine, really ends the issue.  They could not endure the pain.

Also congradulations to the son of another member that took out that slug with a palm heel.  Excellent strike and wonderful to hear about such excellent results.  My son did the same thing in 1984.  I love Kajukenbo with my soul.

Good luck to all and stay safe. 

jensad

Jim Nordlie
Since 1963 a student of Great Grand Master Charles H. Gaylord.

handsofstone23

« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2007, 06:26:34 PM »
megusta ;D

Offline Luis1968

• Yellow Belt
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2007, 09:11:47 PM »
My last color belt test was about 2hrs- 2.5 hrs....Start off with basic stances t warm up then go into warmups then forms and about and hour maybe a tad less ( seemed like forever ) self defence. Was a miracle my partner and myself didnt destroy each other at one point i took a elbow to the bridge of the nose and he got his elbow and shoulder hyper extended a little ..dont know about the black belt test though exceltp from what i hearas all test are closed off unless you are being tested.....Hopefully within a couple of years I can get back to you guys.
Luis Aponte
Purple Belt
Griffins Karate and judo International
Emperado Method Kajukenbo
Grandmaster Kalaii Kano Griffin

LOYALONEHK

« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2007, 10:11:46 PM »
"How long should a black belt test be?"

(IMHO)  It begins the moment they begin to train and never ends....   The belt comes when the time is right!
Everyday is a test.  Throw in my friend pain, his pals sweat and tears, tenderize the meat & marinate for as long as you feel is right and there you have it. 

:P

but what do I know...   ::)

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2007, 10:21:40 PM »
The actual physical test is about intensity, I could burn them in a short time or baby them for a long time, it's about showing their skill and heart
GM John E Bono DC

Offline Sifu Sin Bin

• Holy Cow, I am a
  • Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • YOU SUCK, TRAIN HARDER
    • check it out
« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2007, 10:49:31 PM »
8)
Sifu Dean, I like your menu, works for me
most tests are just a showcase not a test of fighting skills.

Harper

Amen to that brother!!!
Professor Rob Peladeau
8th Degree - KSDI #672
Loyal Student and lifelong friend of
Grand Master Emil Bautista
NorCal Headquarters of K.S.D.I. Ambassador

Offline NYKaju

• Black Belt
  • Village Pariah
« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2007, 01:48:28 AM »
"How long should a black belt test be?"

(IMHO)  It begins the moment they begin to train and never ends....   The belt comes when the time is right!
Everyday is a test.  Throw in my friend pain, his pals sweat and tears, tenderize the meat & marinate for as long as you feel is right and there you have it. 

:P

but what do I know...   ::)

Sifu Dean, have I ever told you, that you have a way with words? ;)
Sensei/Coach James Mayors
Ronin Martial Arts
Kajukenbo under Dan Tyrrell
BJJ under Matt Serra
Judo under Mark Staniszewski
"You don't rise to the level of your expectations, you fall to the level of your training"