Author Topic: Universal Kempo  (Read 11845 times)

Offline Bruce2

• White Belt
Universal Kempo
« on: August 24, 2007, 12:13:25 PM »
   I have removed all my posts from this site. 
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 11:01:44 AM by Bruce2 »

LOYALONEHK

Re: Tai Chi Chuan FA
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 12:18:23 PM »
Welcome back to the Ohana and Mahalo for taking the time to introduce yourself. 

8)
Dean

Offline afdevera

• Blue Belt
  • Glendora Kajukenbo
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 02:48:32 PM »
Welcome Rick,  its good to see other UKKSA students..  I myself train under Inst. Keith Higa in Milpitas,  he closed the school so I asked Sigung Sal Banuelos "the NAK" to train with them for awhile then we moved down southern Cali -   since my transition from UKKS to Kajukenbo - I studied under GM Doug Bunda in Glendora - now I moved back up northern Cali..  I still do keep in touch with the kwoon and the OHANA on both UKKS and Kajukenbo side ...  right now I havent been training heavily but hopefully soon -

AD
Aurelio Francis de Vera
GLENDORA KAJUKENBO
Under GM Doug Bunda
SGM Carlos Bunda
Master John Leoning
(Universal Kempo Karate School-former student under Inst. Keith Higa)

Vala Au

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 02:51:05 PM »
Aloha Richard,

Welcome to the Ohana.  I knew your Instructor Stan Pappas, we used to work together at Pearl Harbor.  He's a great guy and definitely a real deal martial artist.

We are also cousins as your Inst Ron Tapec, Mel Sugue are also under GM Dela Cruz.

E komo mai.

Jason

Offline Ron Baker

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 06:36:08 AM »
Hi Rick, and welcome (back) to the Ohana.  I hope you don't mind me asking; what "family" of tai chi do you practice?  Chen?  Wu?  Sun?  Zhang?

Also, while under Universal Kempo, did you have occasion to meet or train with Jesse Menegdeg?  He's a talented martial artist, and good people too.

Anyway, best wishes brah!
Sigung (Shihan) Ron Baker
Kajukenbo 5280 MMA Foundation
Under GM Jason Groff
Ordonez Kajukenbo Ohana

Offline afdevera

• Blue Belt
  • Glendora Kajukenbo
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 09:12:57 PM »
'93 Chief Instructors of the UKKS
Jonathan Vance
Gregory Nakano
Garland Johnson
Jesse Manegdeg
Terri Buell-Smith
Chris Ragone
Brian Tokushima
Edward Bradley

not sure now though - its been a long time since then..

Aurelio Francis de Vera
GLENDORA KAJUKENBO
Under GM Doug Bunda
SGM Carlos Bunda
Master John Leoning

Offline afdevera

• Blue Belt
  • Glendora Kajukenbo
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2007, 11:48:07 PM »
Yes I did miss Chief Inst. Stan Papas..  The rest I know for sure are active and promoted to Asst. Prof. and Senior Chief Instructor's.

Aurelio Francis de Vera
GLENDORA KAJUKENBO
Under GM Doug Bunda
SGM Carlos Bunda
Master John Leoning

Offline afdevera

• Blue Belt
  • Glendora Kajukenbo
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 10:59:20 PM »
I agree - distance do have an affect on keeping you to train everyday - but no worries bruh - youre in good hand now...  ;D
Aurelio Francis de Vera
GLENDORA KAJUKENBO
Under GM Doug Bunda
SGM Carlos Bunda
Master John Leoning

Offline afdevera

• Blue Belt
  • Glendora Kajukenbo
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007, 04:16:48 PM »
dont worry about being rigid - use it to your advantage in some forms.. good luck Brother and keep in touch.
Aurelio Francis de Vera
GLENDORA KAJUKENBO
Under GM Doug Bunda
SGM Carlos Bunda
Master John Leoning

JessieEscobedo

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 11:44:05 AM »
Welcome Rick,
     Glad to see another Kempo guy.  I studied under Johnathan Vance from 1978-1980, while station at Wheeler AFB, then he moved the school to Wahaiwa.  That was the same time  Garland Johnson started Kempo also, he came  to our class several times at Wheeler AFB.

Mahalo Bra   

Offline Chief Instructor

• Moderators
  • Brown Belt
    • Hokkien Martial Arts
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 12:13:30 PM »
Hi guys!

Glad to meet some fellow Universal Kempo alums! Garland Johnson is highly skilled- one of the best nunchuku practitioners out there. The late great Johnathan Vance was one of the baddest tournament fighters. Jesse Manegdeg is awesome at sparring and weapons. Alex Weinert is a true gentleman and lived and breathed the martial arts- he was only a blue belt when I started with Mr. Johnson, but I learned a lot from him. Heck, all of the Universal Kempo crew are excellent. NO SHAME IN THEIR GAME!

Tomio Inamasu is one of the few Universal instructors I never had the privilege of learning about. Does your old UKKSA book have a bio on him?

Thanks for sharing,
Andrew
Sigung Andrew Evans, KSDI #888
Hokkien Martial Arts, Topeka, KS
http://www.TopekaKarate.com

Offline Chief Instructor

• Moderators
  • Brown Belt
    • Hokkien Martial Arts
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2008, 01:48:31 PM »
Alex Weinert's skills as a martial artist were rivaled only by his professional skills in the computer industry. That industry pulled him away for years at a time. Folks who started the same time as he did in the late 80s/early 90s are already seventh degree. It sucks that our day jobs often pull us away. Hopefully, Alex will return to the martial arts. (Let that be a lesson to anyone: consistency is key. So stick with it!)

I heard a lot about Chief Instructor Stan Papas. He is also a legend. Everything anyone said about him was very positive. Unfortunately, he's one of the few Universal Chief Instructors I did not have the privilege of meeting.

Senior Chief Instructor Bridgett Johnson is one of the toughest women I ever met. She could kick your butt while smiling the whole time. One time a guy was sparring in the bull ring and refused to spar her because she was a woman. Chief Instructor (at that time) Garland Johnson tried to intervene, but Bridgett just said, "Stay out; I'll handle this." She proceeded to beat the guy black and blue.  :o

Both of the Johnsons coached Sifu Sheryl (my spouse) in continuous sparring. They were responsible for helping her take on world class competitors and placing third at an internationally ranked tournament. The prior and current year's top sparrers were the only two who beat her, and one of those matches was extremely close. After that, people started calling Sheryl the "Wildcat." Later, young women at the school even tried to imitate Wildcat's fierce fighting style saying, "I'm the Wildcat," but that's a different story.  :o

As for my story.... I wanted to go my own way especially in terms of curriculum and flexibility. Universal's standards for oversight and everything else was rigid. While that guarantees a certain level of quality, as a business major I felt my business model would be better. Plus I also wanted to get closer to my kajukenbo roots and thus reconnect with the late great Professor Walter Godin.

During the past decade, I also became a member of KSDI (#888). Nowadays, I teach Kajukenbo along with Chinese Kempo and Modern Arnis. I've proud to be a part of the Kajukenbo Ohana, and I'm glad that you are here!
Sigung Andrew Evans, KSDI #888
Hokkien Martial Arts, Topeka, KS
http://www.TopekaKarate.com