Author Topic: High School Students/Black Belt Students  (Read 15085 times)

Offline NYKaju

• Black Belt
  • Village Pariah
Re: High School Students/Black Belt Students
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2007, 12:40:29 PM »
Quote from: badsifu
So which one of us is really Kajukenbo?  I have the Ka the Ju the Ken and the Bo.  Can everyone else say that?  Maybe...maybe not.

I got the meanest horse stance this side of the Appalachian's. Does that fill my quota for "Ka" ?

Sensei/Coach James Mayors
Ronin Martial Arts
Kajukenbo under Dan Tyrrell
BJJ under Matt Serra
Judo under Mark Staniszewski
"You don't rise to the level of your expectations, you fall to the level of your training"

Offline Sifu Sin Bin

• Holy Cow, I am a
  • Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • YOU SUCK, TRAIN HARDER
    • check it out
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2007, 02:09:02 PM »
Quote from: badsifu
So which one of us is really Kajukenbo?  I have the Ka the Ju the Ken and the Bo.  Can everyone else say that?  Maybe...maybe not.

I got the meanest horse stance this side of the Appalachian's. Does that fill my quota for "Ka" ?

I have seen your Horse stance James and it is more like "Ka Ka"  ;D
Professor Rob Peladeau
8th Degree - KSDI #672
Loyal Student and lifelong friend of
Grand Master Emil Bautista
NorCal Headquarters of K.S.D.I. Ambassador

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • "Accept the things to which fate binds you"
    • Bono's Jeet Kune Do and Kajukenbo
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2007, 02:12:32 PM »
Sorry but that made me laugh out loud
GM John E Bono DC
9th Degree Grand Master Gaylord Method Kajukenbo
Full Instructor-Hartsell's Jeet Kune Do Grappling Assoc
Chief Instructor Bono's Jeet Kune Do/Kajukenbo
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision

Offline NYKaju

• Black Belt
  • Village Pariah
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2007, 02:35:42 PM »
Quote from: Sifu Sin Bin

Alright so I'm a little rusty! But to stay on the theme of bathroom humor, I'd like to point out that the original purpose of the horse stance was due to the fact that Samurai's often didn't have toilets while at war  8)
Sensei/Coach James Mayors
Ronin Martial Arts
Kajukenbo under Dan Tyrrell
BJJ under Matt Serra
Judo under Mark Staniszewski
"You don't rise to the level of your expectations, you fall to the level of your training"

Offline Wado

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • llama llama
« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2007, 02:37:46 PM »
What a great group of posts in this thread (except for the obvious joke posts that are very funny but off topic...ha ha).  Of what I consider great posts, thank you badsifu. Especially you have a great way with words, your great posts making me eager to read more.

I ask some people to define what Kajukenbo means to them and I get all sorts of answers from a good workout, to self defense, to some of the respected old timers saying they have been doing it so long that everything is Kajukenbo to them.

So I have to rephrase and ask something more specific... My spin on all of this comes down to what you believe is the heart of Kajukenbo.  And by heart I mean the part that doesn't change.  So I ask what is the heart of Kajukenbo.

Around eight years ago, Professor Baxter told me that Kajukenbo contains the principles from many martial arts (e.g. Tang Soo Do/Karate, Judo/Ju-jitsu, kenpo, Chinese Boxing, American Boxing, Eskrima, etc.).  Kajukenbo was in the integration of the principles.  Basically Kajukenbo technique had its own flavor that was uniquely Kajukenbo, but the underlining principles were not unique but taken from many martial arts.  A good foundation in Kajukenbo could allow someone to specialize in any of the core arts and build on the foundation.

The heart of Kajukenbo comes down to principles and these principles do not change.  From the integration of these principles are built the hard training, the family (Ohana), and the techniques that do adapt and change as needed or as circumstance dictates. 

What has changed in Kajukenbo is "intention."  Today many of the younger folks around their early twenties are very interested in the competition/sport aspect of martial arts.  Their intention may be to fight in the ring.  Sixty years ago, the founders of Kajukenbo did not have the intention of fighting in sport. 

So today, especially for the young, many of the techniques and training methods are changed because intention has changed.  Maybe for the better, then again maybe not always so. 

Keeping training up-to-date to match the intentions of the students is just good business advice as it keeps everyone honest with each other and motivated to train harder.  If students want to fight in the ring, train them to fight in the ring, do not waste their time learning stuff that has zero value in the ring.  However, if they are with the intent to protect themselves on the streets, then focus training on that aspect.  Divide up classes so to address the different intentions... classes for kickboxing/Muay Thai, Classes for ground fighting and MMA, Classes for self-defense, Classes for kata and traditional training, weapons training. 

But the key, IMHO, is do not compromise the principles of Kajukenbo.  The same principles apply to all martial arts and it is the principles that help and inspire a student to see how things are related.  For instance, sprawling on soft mats (sport) might be different than sprawling on concrete (street), but both use the same principles. 
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 02:43:01 PM by Wado »
W. Yamauchi
Mateo Kajukenbo
Seattle, Washington

Offline Wado

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • llama llama
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2007, 02:51:29 PM »
Quote from: Sifu Sin Bin

Alright so I'm a little rusty! But to stay on the theme of bathroom humor, I'd like to point out that the original purpose of the horse stance was due to the fact that Samurai's often didn't have toilets while at war  8)

Where you failed young ground pounder is that the horse stance is actually more from the Ju (Japanese Ju-jitsu) roots of Kajukenbo.  ;D

And the original purpose of the horse stance was for riding horses  :P
W. Yamauchi
Mateo Kajukenbo
Seattle, Washington

Vala Au

« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2007, 03:25:30 PM »
Sigung Dean,

It sounds like we're pretty much doing the same thing training wise.  If somebody wants what I got, they're going to have to do it my way.  I'm not gonna roll over and spread my asp for somebody for their money.  Probably why I've never made any money at doing this.  I'll be in the garage monitoring.

Offline Dean Goldade

• Senior Black Belt
  • Blue Belt
  • Train hard & enjoy the ride!!!!
    • Goldade Kajukenbo Ohana
« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2007, 05:08:29 PM »
Sigung Dean,

It sounds like we're pretty much doing the same thing training wise.  If somebody wants what I got, they're going to have to do it my way.  I'm not gonna roll over and spread my asp for somebody for their money.  Probably why I've never made any money at doing this.  I'll be in the garage monitoring.

Sigung Jason,
You do your thing brother... Nobody is trying to tell you it ain't the right way, or you need to change..

I teach about 30 classes a week out of my school... That gives me the options to teach a lot of material, and target a lot of customers. Some people want to compete, some want self defense & some just want to workout... I give them a place to come do it all.

Trust me bro my asp cheeks are shut... The only time anyone can get close enough to find out is if they want to kiss it..

I love the feel of a good ole garage thumpin workout.. I got my tigers that want to just smack and bang, and we do that every week. On Saturday morning we do probably 15 - 20 rounds of all range partying.. Boxing / Kickboxing / Grappling / Stick fighting..

In my Kaju class we play the old school way. Kill em... Throw em down.... & Kill em again.

But those 10 tigers don't pay the rent... And half the time I gotta give em a cup check just to get my money each month..

All I do is give as many options as I can to allow people to come and train with quality, and not at the local McDojo.

- If they want self defense... We do the Kaju street style
 - If they want to compete... They have Boxing / Kickboxing / BJJ / MMA
 - If they just want a workout.... They have the cardio class. But at least in our cardio class they learn to really kick and punch the heavy bags & focus mitts, and not just do phony air guitar speed bag crap.

Anyway... Good conversation and good input on this thread...

Gotta go teach class

Dean
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 05:10:03 PM by Dean Goldade »
Student of the arts
www.austinkaju.com

Offline badsifu

• restricted
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2007, 06:58:52 PM »
Sigung Dean,

I have seen a few Kajukenbo schools go the McDojo route and it is pretty sad.  Lots of kiddie black belts running around.  Lots of adults who couldn't fight their way out of a wet bag.  All to either get a buck or get instructors.  Doesn't have to be like that though.  Like Dean said, providing a wide range of facets is what he is already doing, just categorizing it in his schedule to fit the needs of a variety of consumers.

Punch 'em in the mouth Kajukenbo is not for everyone - nor should it be.  For me, 15 years of teaching and I have promoted 5 black belts.  I have had the same number of brown belts drop and not test for black because my demands were what the were.  So obviously, not a belt factory.  Despite the fact that I taught it as I wanted to teach it, I was able to make it work financially.

Try to think of it this way - Buffet!   Those that like the grapple, those that like the workout, those that like the forms, and those that like the knockout should all find something in Kajukenbo.  You welcome them into your program and you give them the "buffet."  You lay out everything that you have and they pick and choose what they want.  They can take everything, or they can just take the things they like.  You keep your rank standard where it is and if they want to get that belt, they need to be sure to have everything you want them to have on their plate.  Not just dessert.

Dan Tyrrell