Author Topic: Does Anyone Else Use This Belt Ranking System?  (Read 13024 times)

Offline badsifu

• restricted
  • Brown Belt
Re: Does Anyone Else Use This Belt Ranking System?
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2007, 08:13:40 PM »
We could shake the tree and see who else falls off of the "serious discussion" branch. 

You movers and shakers don't forget...gotta keep it light sometimes.
Dan Tyrrell

Offline NYKaju

• Black Belt
  • Village Pariah
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2007, 08:16:02 PM »
Aloha,

I agree with Sifu Wade.  James, you tend to post things on the caf?© that are not relevant to the subject and martial arts. 

Hey, I'm always on topic...just sometimes I'm the only one who thinks so ;)
Sensei/Coach James Mayors
Ronin Martial Arts
Kajukenbo under Dan Tyrrell
BJJ under Matt Serra
Judo under Mark Staniszewski
"You don't rise to the level of your expectations, you fall to the level of your training"

Offline RizZ

• Blue Belt
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2007, 09:15:11 PM »
Aloha,

I agree with Sifu Wade.  James, you tend to post things on the caf?© that are not relevant to the subject and martial arts. 

You're a habitual topic-jumper. :o
Scott Goldstein
Kajukenbo Black Belt - 1st Degree
Under Sifu Victor Ballesteros & Sifu Virgilio de Carvalho
Frontyard Fighting Arts - Nyack, NY

Lakan Isa
Pekiti-Tirsia Kali

Offline NYKaju

• Black Belt
  • Village Pariah
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2007, 10:01:13 PM »
Quote from: RizZ

I'll accept that. Anyway, how about them Yankees?
Ronin Martial Arts
BJJ under Matt Serra
"You don't rise to the level of your expectations, you fall to the level of your training"

Offline RizZ

• Blue Belt
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2007, 10:17:47 PM »
Quote from: RizZ

I'll accept that. Anyway, how about them Yankees?

The Yankees are still sick....You cant win them all.
Scott Goldstein

Lakan Isa
Pekiti-Tirsia Kali

Offline badsifu

• restricted
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2007, 11:39:34 PM »
Aloha

I agree, but he tends to be too light a lot of times; then his post to the subject is not relevant. 

Obviously, it is the lineage that is the problem.  Now, can we do something about that Sin Bin posting pictures of Bewitched?
Dan Tyrrell

Offline envisiontj

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • Thanks Jeff and Boogie!!
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2007, 09:29:12 AM »
For my adult students, I follow the general color system my first Kaj instructor used - Orange, Purple, Blue, Green, Brown, Black.  For kids I have instituted the Yellow Belt prior to the Orange, as on of my instructors used for all his students.

My students all know that rank will come when I feel it is time.  They do not ask for or tell me that they feel they are ready, becuase I am the Sifu and they trust my judegement.  If they do ask, they know that will just slow their progression through the ranks.  I have seen multiple schools of various Arts do all kinds of things when it comes to promotions.  Some even put up a sheet and let students write their name on there when they felt they were ready to test.  Then the instructor would hold a test when there were enough students on there to make some money.  How can we know we are ready for the next belt?  Because we hold some skills or technical knowledge equated with said belt?  There is so much more to the rank than some freakin memorization of techniques.  That is why we rely on those before us to make those decisions, whether it is for Orange Belt or a multi level Black Belt.  It is all just a journey and as long as we train hard and live long enough we will attain whatever rank we want.  If we rush ourselves or our students to each goal, what happens when we run out of those goals?  (speaking of rank goals there of course)

Anyways, just some thoughts.  Good Morniing everyone and I hope you all had a great Halloween.  My kids got TONS of candy - which of course I pulled the dad thing  and "confiscated" a bunch for myself.   ;D
Sifu Trent Junker
Realm Of The Tiger Kajukenbo - Portland, OR
Under GM Gerry Scott

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • "Accept the things to which fate binds you"
    • Bono's Jeet Kune Do and Kajukenbo
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2007, 11:12:53 AM »
I think we might be getting a little over protective on topics.......this forum is for all to enjoy.......yes there are some goofy posts and yes James does some of them......but .....we have to not take everything so seriously all the time....

I'm not sure if Bewitched pictures were aimed to my post, but if they were to me they were relevant..of course I didn't get to see it.....
GM John E Bono DC
9th Degree Grand Master Gaylord Method Kajukenbo
Full Instructor-Hartsell's Jeet Kune Do Grappling Assoc
Chief Instructor Bono's Jeet Kune Do/Kajukenbo
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision

Offline Wado

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • llama llama
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2007, 11:24:52 AM »
Aloha,

Hey NYKaju,

I'm just as guilty at times of going off topic, but a long time ago, I was told to keep the off-topic stuff to the cafe ( http://www.kajukenbocafe.com/smf/index.php?board=20.0 ) or the "I digress" forums.  That's not a license to go crazy with the posts in the cafe forum, but a good general rule... pay attention to which forum you are posting in.

As for the topic of ranking and a belt system, I believe there is a strong cultural influence that may be lost in the translation in America.  As Professor Tim pointed out there were no belts used in China in the many places he visited.  In Japan, to the contrary of what is found in China, there is a strong use of belt systems for rank from what I understand.   But rank is a measure more of experience... someone of higher rank just means someone that has walked a path before. 

Now when taken to America, the rank system needs lots of qualifiers... for instance, when I was introduced as a Goju-ryu black belt it was a whole phrase of credentials going something like this... "Wade Yamauchi, black belt under Higaonna Sensei, studied ten years with Hartwig Sensei."  I think this type of introduction is the norm in Japan and Okinawa.  I feel in America, it is often just black belt in something with no regard to who the black belt was under and how long the person studied under their main teacher.  Maybe people just like to keep it short and simple in America, or maybe they just like being vague to not make a big deal out of it.  I don't know, but there certainly seem to be cultural differences.
W. Yamauchi
Mateo Kajukenbo
Seattle, Washington

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • "Accept the things to which fate binds you"
    • Bono's Jeet Kune Do and Kajukenbo
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2007, 12:58:48 PM »
I understand what you are saying but if we really look at topics, the question here  Does Anyone Else Use This Belt Ranking System?
most of the answers had off shoots of other styles etc....not yes or no to the question, my point is only sometimes the best stuff comes from the start of the conversation....
Some people write goofy stuff just to write some though write goofy funny stuff that has made me laugh out loud.  The forum to me it to communicate receive knowledge and to be entertained...
GM John E Bono DC
9th Degree Grand Master Gaylord Method Kajukenbo
Full Instructor-Hartsell's Jeet Kune Do Grappling Assoc
Chief Instructor Bono's Jeet Kune Do/Kajukenbo
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision

Offline Gints Klimanis

• Moderators
  • Black Belt
    • Gentlemen's Fighting Club
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2007, 01:19:05 PM »
I think we might be getting a little over protective on topics.......this forum is for all to enjoy ...

True.  However, some topics such as titles and belts recycle too often.  The words are the same, only the authors change.  So, why not make a few "stickies" for such topics and leave the forum open to new discussion.
"We do not condone the use of a toilet seat as a deadly weapon"
Go Shin Jutsu Kenpo, 3rd Degree Black Belt Prof. Richard Lewis
Bono JKD/Kajukenbo, Prof. John Bono, San Jose, CA
Baltic Dog, Dog Brothers Martial Arts

Offline badsifu

• restricted
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2007, 01:22:23 PM »
I think we might be getting a little over protective on topics.......this forum is for all to enjoy ...

True.  However, some topics such as titles and belts recycle too often.  The words are the same, only the authors change.  So, why not make a few "stickies" for such topics and leave the forum open to new discussion.

Instead, can we just write

SEARCH FUNCTION NOOB!!!
Dan Tyrrell

Offline RizZ

• Blue Belt
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2007, 01:38:16 PM »
You guys leave James alone.  His Mom just forget to give him his  Ritalin for his ADHD and the school bully's were shaking him out of his lunch money on the way to White Tiger Kenpo class to get his blackbelt. He just needs to practice a few more killer knee break moves while he's rolling around at the jujits class with his blue belt on.

Now that's an excellent post right there....
Scott Goldstein

Lakan Isa
Pekiti-Tirsia Kali

Offline NYKaju

• Black Belt
  • Village Pariah
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2007, 02:07:48 PM »
Quote from: KajuJKDFighter
Some people write goofy stuff just to write some though write goofy funny stuff that has made me laugh out loud.  The forum to me it to communicate receive knowledge and to be entertained... [/b]

If it means anything, I type the way I speak...so yes, if we were talking about the best way to run a kids program, you could bet Darth Vader would pop up somewhere in the conversation ;D

Stickying things as they are discussed doesn't work out too well. Seen it done, and all that happens is those threads become too large to manage and sift through, and forcing people to post new ideas on the same topic in one thread softens the impact their words might have - especially if people don't even read it, because they were tired of reading a 22page long beaten horse of a thread.

Quote from: SiGung Jason
You guys leave James alone.  His Mom just forget to give him his  Ritalin for his ADHD and the school bully's were shaking him out of his lunch money on the way to White Tiger Kenpo class to get his blackbelt. He just needs to practice a few more killer knee break moves while he's rolling around at the jujits class with his blue belt on.

Don't you have some crappling to do?  >:(
Ronin Martial Arts
BJJ under Matt Serra

Offline Wado

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • llama llama
Re: Does Anyone Else Use This Belt Ranking System? -OT
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2007, 03:18:44 PM »

Hey, it's all good as long as it is in moderation, IMHO.  And giving James a bad time is fun and funny  ;D 

I don't know, maybe I'm living in the past but I thought the forums outside the "I digress" section were less tolerant of off topic posts as a general rule.  It seems to me that the off-topic posts are spread out all over now.  I was more just bringing this up than pointing fingers.  I enjoy reading James' posts, some of them are actually on topic too  :P

On a different forum, just as a favor to others, we would put a "-ot" tag at the end of the subject when something went off topic.  Off topic here would be anything not related to Kajukenbo or martial arts (does not apply to the the "I digress" section which can off topic without warning).

W. Yamauchi
Mateo Kajukenbo
Seattle, Washington