Author Topic: Why are there so few women in Kajukenbo?  (Read 11323 times)

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
Why are there so few women in Kajukenbo?
« on: August 15, 2003, 06:44:49 PM »
Greetings & Good Afternoon to Everyone:

I was wondering if anyone had any comments on why there are so few women in Kajukenbo? Many of the other styles have plenty women how come we don't?

I'll give 3 examples of how this question came to my mind:

1. GM Bautista for the last 35 years has 51 black belts and only 4 of them are women.

2. I have been to seminars where there are about 50+ males and only 2 females?

3. When coming up I was 1 of 9 females and I was the only one that stayed.

I would guess that Kajukenbo is 80% men and 20% female. Why do you think the population is so low?

I know women have busy lives but so do men. So, what could it be? Any comments?

Soifua,

Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

Offline John Bishop

• Senior Black Belt
  • Black Belt
  • Seek Knowledge, Not Rank
Re:Why are there so few women in Kajukenbo?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2003, 07:12:48 PM »
 ;D  Must be a Northern California thing.  
Looking at my roll sheets, I've got 60 students, and 26 are female.  
I've got 4 black belts, and 2 of them are female.  
I have 3 students going up for black around Oct/Nov. and 1 is female.   And when she gets her black she is going to take over another Kajukenbo school that has 50 students.
My enrollment has always been about 50/50 male female.  I always figured we had a lot of female students because Kajukenbo is much more self defense oriented than some of the other styles.   Although I do think that having so many female students helps attract other potential female students.   They don't feel like they are entering a men's only type of club.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2003, 07:18:48 PM by John Bishop »
John Bishop  8th Degree-Original Method 
Under Grandmaster Gary Forbach
K.S.D.I. # 478, FMAA

"You watch, once I'm gone, all the snakes will start popping their heads up!"  Sijo Emperado

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2003, 04:48:47 PM »
Hi Sigung Pat:

I know 35 years ago compared to now women have come a long way which is a good thing.  

I'm speaking current times. The seminars I attended were last year and this year a total of eight. All eight times there were 85%-90% men and 10%-15% women.

I really don't see a change. Even in Vegas this year there were not that many females.

How have you changed this stereotype? What have you done different that have attracted more females students to Kajukenbo? Do you have more females students than male?

Respectfully,
Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

Offline Brandi Ross

• Global Moderator
  • Brown Belt
  • Always a student.....
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2003, 06:08:49 PM »
Our dojo is really small, but the numbers come out to be 50/50.  We have an equal number, but at times more women than men.

Kajushoda, I know what you mean about Las Vegas.  I was there and ended up in a mixed rank division as there were not enough women at the brown belt kumite.  I came from Hawaii and know that nobody from my dojo was able to go.  Lots of financial reasons.  I will add this.  The tournament the next day held by Hawaii Martials Arts International Society had even fewer women.

I think a big reason for the lower number of women is time.  I'm single and can do what ever I want.  Some women would like to take classes, but because of family cannot find the time.  Or, like so many in Hawaii, they have two jobs.  That really puts a damper on things.

Another reason maybe that they are in it only for exercise and don't see Kajukenbo as right for them.  Thus, they make a switch.  Kajukenbo is tough and not for everyone, as we all know.  I also know the other Amercian Kenpo dojo has only 5-6 women total and none are black belts.  This program is basically all men.  I'm not sure if it is like that everywhere, but that would be interesting to see as well.  

I could sit here and come up with lots of excuses, but I think it comes down to one thing: desire and will.  I have the desire and the will, but there maybe 20 other women who do not.  

As for black belt ranks, I do see the low numbers about which Kajushodan mentioned.  Only thing I can say is that since its inception, Kajukenbo was mostly men and have trained for many more years.  I know my Sigung has only one female black belt and she received it in June.  She and I are the first to stick around.  I should receive my from him as well.  The other women, however, I don't know if they will stick around.

Aloha,
Brandi
Brandi Ross
Black Belt
Kingi's Kajukenbo
GM Rick Kingi
formerly under Sigung Alex Cadang

Greg Harper

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2003, 12:34:22 AM »
 8)
Aloha
OK Serene here we go.
I think the reason is that men tend to be invoved in contact sport as they grow up.
wrestling / football / hocky / boxing / soccer /
throwing rocks / climbing tree's / playing in the dirt/
pulling girls hair, ;D
( boy stuff.) ;D
girls for the most part are not in to that type of thing.
I know that there are many women that can hang with the best, but the % will always be less when there
is contact.

men are stronger, women are weaker
(for the most part)
some women will not agree but that is ok
if you go to the gym how many women can out lift a man.
if you trade punch's how many women would be left standing.
not to say women cant learn to fight. they can
3 that come to my mind are
Sigung Susan Thomas Gitlin / Sigung Pat Tyrrell
both from Allen Reyes Kajukenbo & yourself
but most just do not want to get hit.
broken bones, black eye's & bruise's are just not what they are in to.
I do not have any women iN my class, I have had a couple but they could not take it. :'(
I do not believe in taking it easy when teaching someone how to survive on the street.
but to be fair, I have some real big students and
there have been many men that could not take it either.
it is just a % thing.
how many men are in to shopping or geting thier nails done, just a few.
some martial art's may have more women in them but Kajukenbo when taught properly is very rough. >:(  
I wish we had more women in Kajukenbo also.
I myself like a strong women,
my wife is not a weak women & i have to watch my butt around her or she will nail me.
keeps me on my toe's. :o
Aloha
 8)
Greg Harper

Offline DACS

• BlackBelt
  • Yellow Belt
  • THERE'S ALWAYS MORE TO LEARN!
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2003, 04:06:39 AM »
Aloha Serene,it's me again. I also agree with Professor Harper. So it should be a compliment to you that all these people are telling you that you have last5ed through all thes trials and tribulations that have even driven men away for whatever reason it may have been. Let me start by telling you that when I first started in my class, there were four women higher rank than myself. One was green belt and went on to become brown, one was purple and went on to become green, and two were purple and one went on to become blue. Since then they have all quit to become mothers or career women. We currently have two women who have been training with us since about 1997 or '98, and they are soon to take their green belt test. I'm very proud of them, especially since they are both mothers and career women. I see a good future for them in Kajukenbo. Fact of the matter is that not all can handle what it takes to become a KAJUKENBO BLACK BELT. Apparently you do. So feel proud of yourself. I know of many men who can't handle it, which makes me even prouder of the women that do. You've earned yourself a lot of respect from you peers. I was always told that respect was something you earned. With all the positive comments about you, it's apparent. The two women in our class that I speak of Tracy and Maechel) have earned mine also. It's so great to watch them learn and grow. Oh yeah by the way, some nights, the women outnumber the men big time...
ALOHA
Ramos Method
Wahiawa Kajukenbo

TODD

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2003, 11:49:00 AM »
I would like to add my opinion to DACS post.  Many men and women quit.  My father has been teaching off and on since 1976 and has promoted 3 black belts.  I recall a few brown belts that had dropped out as well.  The training is tough.  Many people can not handle it, especially for the long term.  I believe the majority of the Kajukenbo black belts out there teach as taught.

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2003, 02:19:05 PM »
Talofa Everyone:

Right on Prof. Harper I appeciate your honesty. DACs thank you again for sharing. Just for the record I did all those things that Prof. wrote except for pulling hair-lol.

Your absolutely right, Kajukenbo is not for everyone. Yes there are weak men as well as weak women.

Being young in the art as a female black belt its more difficult for me because of my gender and I accept that challenge. You can be as bad as you want whippen everyone on the mat and representing the school properly however the bottom line is your a female. There will be doors that would normally be open for black belts but for a female black belt there will always be hesitation.

Women have to be 10x crazier than the guys because she will be the victim before men will. Its beyond the mat that women have barriers.

I believe that people should be aware that its not just the mat that you have to prove to be strong its just as important off the mat. Women have to be even stronger to withstand all the gestures and remarks that come with the belt. Most people think we obtained our belts on our backs, yup I said it. I apologize if I offended anyone but its been said many times than I can count.  

I believe that most people do not give the respect to women in Kajukenbo that is due to them. Okay maybe some have received their belts on their back but not all of us did.

Thank you to the people that have posted here. I see the respect is coming hopefully women will try to hang in there. It's a hard rode but its worth it!

Prof. Harper your right most men are stronger than women on the outside. However, most women are stonger inside/brain side. It's okay too if people won't agree.

Soifua,
Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

Offline Mell

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • www.watchthelamb.com
    • Watch the Lamb Ministries
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2003, 07:48:44 PM »
Kajukenbo Ohio has more women then men.  The teen group is overwhelming girls.   Though in the long run, the people who have stayed the longest here are the men.

I agree with some of the others that men like competing more than women, so you will see them more at tournaments, also, most men earn more money than women and can afford to travel more for things like that, they also aren't expected to take care of children as often as a women might.  (Who wants to drag there kids to a tournment when they can concentrate on what they are there to do).

I personally find it annoying to spend a lot of money to travel to a tournament and find no other women there to compete with, so I try to be picky about where I go and how often I do so.
Sibak Mellody Porter
ANDERSON MARTIAL ARTS - Grafton, Ohio
www.ohiokajukenbo.com
www.watchthelamb.com

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2003, 10:40:18 PM »
Somehow, I think that we are not being fully honest in this post. What do you think? ??? ::)

I truly feel the same as Prof Harper. Unfortunately, many of us hide behind the obivious. Sure, its an uncomfortable question. But in order for us to get beyond this issue we need to address it truthfully.

Could it be that instructors are teaching/training our women differently?

I for one would appreciate to see more women in our art.  :D

Soifua,

Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

TODD

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2003, 11:42:59 PM »
I think women are treated different.  Look at male dominated professions such as police and firefighter.  They are treated different in those professions as well.  Its not just Kajukenbo but other MA too.  I dont agree with it for its an injustice to women but its a fact of life.  Reasons: chauvinism, fear of harming(never hit a girl concept), fear of accusations such as harrassment.  Personnally I dont treat anyone different, a thug wont so I dont.  I was taught to never strike a girl, but in training this has to be removed from memory.  Regardless of gender, age, etc everyone is equal.  I'll admit I had a prob with the grab arts at first but over time it passed.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2003, 11:47:20 PM by Todd »

Offline Brandi Ross

• Global Moderator
  • Brown Belt
  • Always a student.....
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2003, 12:57:06 AM »
Lately I have been thinking about this issue.  I look at our dojo and its small numbers.  I am the highest ranking female in the school and have taken my lickings to get there. Two knee surgeries (one from training) has put a small damper on things, but I give it my all.  I train as I can.  I watch some of the others and I know they could do more (meaning the women).  When I go up against them, I spend more time teaching because I cannot go hard against them.  They cannot take it.  Personally, I like going with the guys.  One huge reason is my attacker is more likely than not going to be a MAN.  I feel I need to work with the men more so I can feel more comfortable.  I have been hit numerous times and keep coming back for more.  I guess I like the pain and bruises.  Oh well, whatelse can I say?  Kaju is tough and women could certainly benefit from it.  Different standards for men/women....NO WAY.

Aloha,
Brandi
Brandi Ross
Black Belt
Kingi's Kajukenbo
GM Rick Kingi
formerly under Sigung Alex Cadang

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2003, 03:00:00 PM »
I appeciate the comments. Todd and Triwahine your comments were more direct and honest.

Triwahine may I make a suggestion, the next time your training/teaching your female students whack'em whack'em good. Let them know that the streets begin in the dojo. If they stay great if they don't at least when they get hurt in the streets you will not have their blood on your name.

Train as if you are in the streets. This is the only way to protect your students. I have taught women's self defense classes. Yes, women are timid at first but as an instructor it is your opportunity to dig deep and wake them up. Give them a scenario. Women are strong we just need a reason to use it.  ;) ;D

Todd, yes I have seen that many times just because she is a girl issue.  >:( I believe we can change this issue one step at a time.  ;D First we have to admit we have a problem than we can develop a solution. My concerns are in our Kaju world and I know that it takes two. It's not just the way people see females, but we as females need to take responsiblity too.  :D

Soifua,
Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

Offline SitiMarian

• White Belt
  • White/Yellow Belt
    • Briones kajukenbo Karate
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2003, 04:17:27 PM »
As a new practitioner, I must say that it is fantastic exercise, and I am encouraging other women I know to try it.  When I was little, I wanted to take Martial Arts of some kind but when I was little, little girls just didn't do martial arts(!)  I wanted to as I was picked on all the time in school and didn't have a way to defend myself.  

Anyhow, just wanted to put in my .02.  I just joined this forum.
Objects in mirror are closer than they appear.

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2003, 10:56:44 PM »
Welcome to the Cafe SitiMarian.  :)

You have a great attitude.  ;D Enjoy your training you are on the right path. :D

Soifua,
Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.