Author Topic: Fight Quest Kaju: is there a message to post to spread the word?  (Read 36945 times)

Offline NYKaju

• Black Belt
  • Village Pariah
Re: Fight Quest Kaju: is there a message to post to spread the word?
« Reply #75 on: March 04, 2008, 05:59:19 PM »
I agree with you Gints about this being a family channel.  I know Jimmy and I's final fight wasn't amazing by any standards but we definitely landed a lot more punches then they actually showed.

I know I had a bruised nose, a huge cut in my mouth, welt on my head and a black eye - Jimmy had some blood in his mouth, a sore jaw, and another welt on the other side of his eye (not big bruise from his training)

Most of the final scene with us mostly showed some movement, a few punches and Jimmy taking me down a few times...  Hardly any face bruising punches by any means....haha

The other final fight did seem much more intense though so I was completely happy about that...  That rocked....

Matt, you put it on the line, on national television. Not many can say they had the testicular fortitude for that. So much props.

Curious, how were your nerves feeling before that? I know having camera's rolling and going up against a pro fighter would have me wracked.
Sensei/Coach James Mayors
Ronin Martial Arts
Kajukenbo under Dan Tyrrell
BJJ under Matt Serra
Judo under Mark Staniszewski
"You don't rise to the level of your expectations, you fall to the level of your training"

Offline Likes_2_fight

• BlackBelt
  • White Belt
    • Bono's JKD - Kajukenbo
« Reply #76 on: March 04, 2008, 06:19:27 PM »
To be honest I was fairly cool through-out the previous days training.  We goofed around a lot and had fun together although we were training hard.

The day of the fight I was ok until I did the newspaper report and then had to film a commercial just prior to the fight.  Then the pressure sure built up.  The thought of being one of just a handful of people representing an art to the whole world really sunk in.

My brother had told me about getting an adrenaline crash and that totally happened.  After about 30 seconds in the fight, all my energy was completely  gone and it felt like my legs were made of concrete. 

At my bro's school, we regularly fight for much longer rounds than 2 two minute rounds, but not with a film crew surrounding you.  Also there were many many high ranking Kaju warriors with all eyes on us...  Geez - no pressure there...haha

I haven't had a chance to talk with him, but I'm sure that the guy who fought the final fight from GM Harpers side (I apologize for not remembering his name) was feeling the exact stress I was.

Thanks for the props - that means a lot

With Respect,

Matt

Sifu Matt Bono
3rd Degree under Professor John Bono
Bono's JKD - Kajukenbo
San Jose, CA

Blood Is Just Red Sweat

Offline gxnapasteve

• White Belt
  • hello everyone.
    • Chinatownshop.com
« Reply #77 on: March 05, 2008, 01:18:32 AM »
I thought the show was great. you guys throw some hard punches.. :}   when is the Human weapon Kajukenbo episode. ?
Steve Nefas Guangxi School Of Martial Arts Tyrrell Academy.

Offline Luis1968

• Yellow Belt
« Reply #78 on: March 05, 2008, 09:40:53 AM »
I thought the show was great. you guys throw some hard punches.. :}   when is the Human weapon Kajukenbo episode. ?

I would liek to see a Human Weapon Show on Kaju for one Human Weapon touches more on the history of martial arts where fight quest is more on fighting. People have seen kaju in action with the Human weapon show they would see our history..
Luis Aponte
Purple Belt
Griffins Karate and judo International
Emperado Method Kajukenbo
Grandmaster Kalaii Kano Griffin

Offline Dean Goldade

• Senior Black Belt
  • Blue Belt
  • Train hard & enjoy the ride!!!!
    • Goldade Kajukenbo Ohana
« Reply #79 on: March 05, 2008, 10:25:50 AM »
To be honest I was fairly cool through-out the previous days training.  We goofed around a lot and had fun together although we were training hard.

The day of the fight I was ok until I did the newspaper report and then had to film a commercial just prior to the fight.  Then the pressure sure built up.  The thought of being one of just a handful of people representing an art to the whole world really sunk in.

My brother had told me about getting an adrenaline crash and that totally happened.  After about 30 seconds in the fight, all my energy was completely  gone and it felt like my legs were made of concrete. 

At my bro's school, we regularly fight for much longer rounds than 2 two minute rounds, but not with a film crew surrounding you.  Also there were many many high ranking Kaju warriors with all eyes on us...  Geez - no pressure there...haha

I haven't had a chance to talk with him, but I'm sure that the guy who fought the final fight from GM Harpers side (I apologize for not remembering his name) was feeling the exact stress I was.

Thanks for the props - that means a lot

With Respect,

Matt

Matt,
You did a great job.. The smack talkers will always be out there, but you won't see them putting it on the line.

I am proud of ya brother..

Dean.
Student of the arts
www.austinkaju.com

Offline DProsser

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • Psalm 144:1
« Reply #80 on: March 05, 2008, 01:07:51 PM »
Can anyone spare some change?    ;D ;D ;D ;D
Deb Prosser
GM Bobby Rimando, Instr.
SGM Alex Rimando
Rimando Martial Arts, Las Vegas, Nv

Offline DProsser

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • Psalm 144:1
« Reply #81 on: March 06, 2008, 08:28:46 AM »
Ah, I thought it was funny??? ::)
Deb Prosser
GM Bobby Rimando, Instr.
SGM Alex Rimando
Rimando Martial Arts, Las Vegas, Nv

Offline Gints Klimanis

• Moderators
  • Black Belt
    • Gentlemen's Fighting Club
« Reply #82 on: March 06, 2008, 12:30:12 PM »
Wasn't this episode supposed to air again on March 7th?  I searched the Discovery channel's on-line TV log and don't see any Fight Quest listings up until April 05.  I did notice a discprepancy between the times for the HD (Comcast 750) and regular 182 Discovery channels for Fight Quest.  Does anyone see it listed on their satellite (DirectTV, DISH) program guides?

"We do not condone the use of a toilet seat as a deadly weapon"
Go Shin Jutsu Kenpo, 3rd Degree Black Belt Prof. Richard Lewis
Bono JKD/Kajukenbo, Prof. John Bono, San Jose, CA
Baltic Dog, Dog Brothers Martial Arts

Offline kajukine2

• Senior Black Belt
  • Yellow Belt
    • Estellermma.com
« Reply #83 on: March 06, 2008, 12:54:50 PM »
None scheduled on Direct TV...
Ron Esteller Life long student of GM James Juarez...1968-Present

Board Member KAA
Board of Advisors, Pacific Jujitsu Alliance. DZR JJ
Black shirt Pedoy Escrima Derobio under
GM Melcor Chavez
Black Belt instructor in CQC, Knife/Counter Knife, Impact Weapon Combatives  under Hock W. Hockheeim

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • "Accept the things to which fate binds you"
    • Bono's Jeet Kune Do and Kajukenbo
GM John E Bono DC
9th Degree Grand Master Gaylord Method Kajukenbo
Full Instructor-Hartsell's Jeet Kune Do Grappling Assoc
Chief Instructor Bono's Jeet Kune Do/Kajukenbo
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision

Offline 1kumite

• White Belt
  • Our Blessings to Sijo now as always!
« Reply #85 on: March 08, 2008, 09:57:18 PM »
GM Harper and all, thank you for the time and energy in showing your Art, as well as keeping Sijo's flame bright! Your episode was what the Arts are about, unlike IMHO what the krav mag guys did, kick the legs in an attempt to hurt and humiliate!  That wasnt training to fight (to me) but was training to hurt but, the 'boys' carried on thru it like the warriors they are!
Joshua St.Ives
Grandmaster Yen Ch'ing Tao
Professor Limalama

Offline Israel Gonzales

• BlackBelt
  • Yellow Belt
    • www.themartialart.com
« Reply #86 on: March 11, 2008, 09:12:50 AM »
I have had several phone calls and people wanting to try my class since this airing... Thanx for the free advertisment to all who participated and/or contributed to this episode.... 

Israel.

Sifu Israel Gonzales
Kajukembo Self-Defense Systems
Fort Worth, Texas.
(Sijo Emperado - GM Aleju Reyes - GM Richard Peralta - Israel Gonzales)
www.themartialart.com

LOYALONEHK

« Reply #87 on: March 11, 2008, 10:56:42 AM »
Likewise...  I had 5 new students last month just from the adverts here on base and now I have already had 3 new students since the beginning of March. 

Thank you Discovery Channel and both Fight Quest Crews. 

Lets keep pushing forward. 

Mahalo!

PS.
Who said don't ever hit a girl?  I say, "You wanna fight like a man, you get hit like a man!"  LOL   ;) :-*

Offline dougfq

• White Belt
kaju rocks.
« Reply #88 on: March 11, 2008, 11:01:59 AM »
hey this is doug from fight quest, just wanted to jump on here and drop some respect to everyone who participated in the show. i don't know how you guys feel but i think everyone did an amazing job, and the show has turned out to be one of my favorites! great training, great characters and great fights!

much thanks for accepting me into your family!i had a great time filming and training with you guys and of course next time im in cali(minus the staph infection) i'd be stoked to get some kaju training in!

one final big respect to everyone who fought, trained and or worked with us. a lot of u guys got bumps and bruises and maybe didn't even get to be on camera...just wanna let you know that all the hard work you did was appreciated, whether it made it to film or not!

this is the part where i say something motivational or inspiring about how cool kaju is. but im running short on wit today so just insert your own meaningful statement and know that you guys kick asp!

take care and all my best
doug
Doug Anderson
Fight Quest

Offline Greg Hoyt

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
« Reply #89 on: March 11, 2008, 02:00:41 PM »
Aloha Doug,
We were'nt able to be there for the filming, but most of us have watched the show from the beginning......the Kajukenbo one was the best.   :)   We're super proud of everyone involved in the Kaju episode, and we all agree that you and Jimmy possess plenty warrior spirit.  And yes, as Danjo says, you and Jimmy are Kajukenbo Ohana....guarens. 
Remember, Kajukenbo is not just in California, although California has some premier schools.  That being said, whenever you are on Maui we extend a warm welcome to Sera's Kajukenbo.  Come train, or come watch, or come grind.....or all three!!!!   E como mai. 

Respectfuly,
Sibak Greg
Sifu Greg Hoyt
Hoyt's Kajukenbo, Peoria, Arizona
Under Sigung Trent Sera, Professor Kailani Koa
Train Hard - Fight Dirty