Author Topic: KAJU HELL - Who's there are you?  (Read 12220 times)

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
KAJU HELL - Who's there are you?
« on: September 16, 2003, 03:30:38 PM »
Someone asked me "hey Serene, do you think there is a Kaju hell"? If there is who do you think is there?

hmm.......I said.  ;D

So I'm throwing this question out in here who do you think is in Kaju hell? What do you think it is?

:o ??? :P :-[ ;)

I sometimes am there.  ;)

Soifua,

Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
Re:KAJU HELL - Who's there are you?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2003, 05:44:48 PM »
I have experienced Kaju Hell multiple times. It's nice to see that everyone in the cafe has never experienced a bad day isn't it Shodanson.  ;)  :o

I on the other hand have experienced plenty.  ;)

One of the times I have expereinced Kaju hell is when I hear people talk about judges at a tournament. How they scored wrong and blah blah blah.  :P

The best way to stop that is if you are not good at forms don't go and judge forms. If you are not good at kumite don't go and judge it and so on.

You have to be honest with yourself. Just because you are a black belt it does not mean you are good at everything. So the next time someone at a tournament asks you to judge, ask yourself am I good? Because if you are not than you will give a poor score to someone that is really good.   :o

Just my humble opinion.  ;)
 8)
Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

Offline John Bishop

• Senior Black Belt
  • Black Belt
  • Seek Knowledge, Not Rank
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2003, 07:09:45 PM »
Other than Sijo's tornaments, I've never been to a tournament in No. Cal.  
Down here in So. Cal. the tournaments are ussually desperate for officials.  So they're running around the stands grabbing anyone who even looks like they were a black belt in a prior life ::)
A lot of the black belts sign up to ref. so they can get in free.  Then after a couple of events they drift off somewhere.  If you stay around, you will be refering for 5-6 hours, and miss all your students competitions.  I ussually pay at the door, so I can watch my students compete, and then when there done, I referee some divisions.  
It would all go a lot smoother if they ran the tournaments like Ed Parker did.  If you volunteered to ref you were assigned to work 2 divisions, and then you were free to watch the tournament and your students.  Now most of the black belts do a couple divisions :), some do none :-[, and some get stuck working from beginning to end :-\.  
John Bishop  8th Degree-Original Method 
Under Grandmaster Gary Forbach
K.S.D.I. # 478, FMAA

"You watch, once I'm gone, all the snakes will start popping their heads up!"  Sijo Emperado

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2003, 12:53:33 PM »
Good Morning:  ;D

Gentlemen, yes I remember that day well. Amazing enough who would have thought that soooo much drama good occur at the heavyweights over 35 ring.  ;)

Intimidation? Oh don't ya just hate that word, I do. I was trying to be respectful. My thought was that Prof. had a question on my call. Out of respect for the higher ranking belt I kept my mouth shut until the center judge brought GM Bautista over.

This incident taught me that I needed to forget ranking and stick to my call. The outside of the ring is not my concern. I am to stay concerned with what goes on in the ring.  I stuck to my call because that was the right thing to do. Yes, unfortunately the Prof. was trying to intimidate me. Thanks to a good center judge (Sifu Mockie), great arbitrator (GM Bautista) and (concerned instructor) Prof. Scott my called stayed.

Since, I have continued to judge and I ignore the outside spectators rank or no rank.  :P I am glad that lessoned happened it has made me a better judge today.  ;D

Prof. Scott many many faa'fetai's (thank you in Samoan) for your kind and encouraging words. Now, you make me wish I was going to Hawaii in Oct.  :'(  :-[ :(

I look forward to the day of formally meeting you and your students. Prof. I will tell you what my mom and dad tell me.  No worries Prof. even though we are oceans  apart we will always meet in prayer. May God guide, protect and be with you and your family always.

I bid you farewll until we meet again.

Soifua,
 8)

Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

Eric Bettencourt

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2003, 06:07:29 PM »
Aloha,

It was brought to my attention from my students, and I
witnessed another high ranking instructor drinking beer also and then was asked to judge Forms and Kumite.  It didn't bother myself or students until we caught him dozing off during the forms divison. My students felt this affected their ability to place higher in the divison. And to top it off he was in street clothes, I feel it is important to see the judges dress out in uniform during an Kajukenbo International competition.

Regards,
Eric ???

regards,
Eric

Offline Brandi Ross

• Global Moderator
  • Brown Belt
  • Always a student.....
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2003, 07:21:31 PM »
Wow,
   I guess I left the tournament too early to see the drama.  Good thing, I think.  I don't know if I would have a different opinion of people had I seen these things happen.  I guess that is one advantage to being ranked lower than others and not old enough for the 35+ group  ::).

Prof. Scott was a wonderful, wonderful person at the tournament.  He allowed me to march with his group during opening ceremonies because I was the only one from the Island of Hawaii.  Thanks again Prof. Scott.  Hope to see you in Maui (work permitting).
Brandi Ross
Black Belt
Kingi's Kajukenbo
GM Rick Kingi
formerly under Sigung Alex Cadang

Offline IronFist

• White Belt
    • www.kajukenbowarriors.com
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2003, 08:48:59 PM »
Aloha,  I would like to add my 2 cents in on Sijos tournament in L.V.  I was the fighter in the 35+ color belt kumate that whose point was being argued against.
For one,  before we even bowed in,  the judges asked if everyone was in ok with letting us "throw" as long as we didnt go to the face.  The point in question was a body shot.  I can understand people cheering on their friend or family member,  and I can even see how they would "miss" one point and see the other by their fighter.  But this was shameful.  I also seen the same person argue a call at a match earlier that day.  I do these tournaments for fun,  I dont even train for them.  But when you got black belts with white belt respect, then it makes them and their fighter look bad.  And everyone loses.  If I remember correctly,  my opponent wasnt even questioning the call.  That is the end of my rant ;D                                                                               One quick note,  I dont know who would be in Kaju hell but I know what is....... Being on the recieving end of Sigung Joes hammer fist ;D  
That which does not kill me better run like hell.

Kajukenbo Warriors of NV,  Fi-Kuen Kajukenbo under G.M. Ted Sotelo and Sigung Joe Solis.
"Chef Boy-Am-I-Hungry"

Offline Dean Goldade

• Senior Black Belt
  • Blue Belt
  • Train hard & enjoy the ride!!!!
    • Goldade Kajukenbo Ohana
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2003, 07:42:00 PM »
Sifu Mockie,
How you doin bro?? Long time no see..
Hope things are all good and well. Drop me an email and let me know how things are going..

That's my KajuHell... Being homesick and missing my bros in San Jose...Flashbacks from the good ole days at Sigungs just training with Bono, Ricky, Hector &  Bob, and then hanging out afterwords... Oh to be young again..

The bright side is that the new family in Texas is coming on strong... Sigung would be proud...How is Kailee and his school coming along? Gotta be tough finding time to run a school and a pro football team.....

Next time you get to Houston drop me a line, and maybe we can get in touch.. Houston is only about 3 hours from Austin..

Say hi to everyone for me.

Kajukenbo Forever

Dean.
Student of the arts
www.austinkaju.com

Offline MARK GERRY

• Global Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • WORLD MARTIAL ARTS MASTERS
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2003, 04:11:07 AM »
SIFU DEAN,

YOU MISED OUT! AFTER GRANDMASTER GAYLORDS PARTY WE WENT BACK TO HIS HOUSE IN MY LIMO AND PARTYED TELL 2AM, GRANDMASTERS SOTELLO,CAMPBELL AND GAYLORD WERE SHOWING SOME COOL STUFF. WE THEN WENT TO MY HOUSE AND PARTYED TELL 4AM. :o

WAS LOOKING FOR YOU AT GAYLORDS PARTY
TAKE CARE
MARK
« Last Edit: September 29, 2003, 04:15:06 AM by SIFUMARKGERRY »
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do

Offline Dean Goldade

• Senior Black Belt
  • Blue Belt
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2003, 08:36:35 AM »
Sifu Mark,
Glad you guys had a good time.. Couldn't make it out this year. We have some health issues going on at home, and I have been spending most of my time bouncing between Dallas and Austin, and trying to keep the school doors open..

No ability or time to travel lately. Sifu Bono knows the story and can fill you in, or shoot me an email and we can catch up.

Glad GM Gaylord had a good time. It is cool to see how happy he gets when he is surrounded by the family.

Next year for sure.......

Kajukenbo Forever

Dean.
Student of the arts
www.austinkaju.com

Offline MARK GERRY

• Global Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2003, 02:29:43 PM »
DEAN,

WAS IT 3 YEARS AGO WHEN YOU DID THAT GREAT DEMO WITH YOUR BROWN BELT AT GAYLORDS DINNER THEN GAVE HIM HIS BLACK.

50 BLACK BELTS HIT HIM AFTER THAT......WOW :o
THAT WAS COOL!

HOW IS HE? IS HE 2 DEGREE BLACK YET. HE WAS SURE GOOD. :)
MARK
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do

Offline Dean Goldade

• Senior Black Belt
  • Blue Belt
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2003, 03:58:03 PM »
Sifu Mark,
Yea that was around 3 years ago at the KAA family reunion in Oakland.. What a cool weekend..

Don is running a class in Kansas City now, and is up for 2nd next time I see him...

His ribs were sore for a few weeks after that, but the memory will last forever.... I told him, he will always be remembered for taking the initiation at the gathering... and I guess I was right... :-)

OOOOSSSSaaaaaa

Kajukenbo Forever

Dean.
Student of the arts
www.austinkaju.com

Offline MARK GERRY

• Global Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2003, 03:00:51 AM »
DEAN,
HAVE YOU TALKED TO DR.JOHN BONO? HE IS DOING GREAT! HE IS BIG AS AN OX AND HAS GOT TO BE THE TOP BLACK BELT IN THE KAA HE AS GONE FROM A 2 DEGREE BLACK BELT IN 1999 TO A 7TH DEGREE SIGUNG IN 4 YEARS! HE HAS BEEN TRAINING WITH GRANDMASTER GAYLORD AT HIS HOME. WHAT A HONER
WITH RESPECT
MARK
« Last Edit: September 30, 2003, 12:43:56 PM by SIFUMARKGERRY »

Offline Dean Goldade

• Senior Black Belt
  • Blue Belt
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2003, 04:47:57 AM »
Sifu Mark,
Yea, I talk a lot with John we always have kept in touch. Wow 7th degree!!... Did he get this at G.M. Gaylords event? I gotta give him a call and congratulate him.. I knew he was training privately with G.M. Gaylord, and he is just a hard training guy anyway. I don't know many people that put the hours in training that he does... Not just in the dojo, but "training"..

I remember when John began training with us at Sigung Yoshii's about 15 years ago or so. He came into the school with previous martial arts training and had boxed since he was a little kid.

As well as being an awesome martial artist, John has always been just a scary guy to be on the other side of. He is probably the most well rounded fighter I have ever known or met.

He will kill you standing, boxing, kickboxing, whatever, and then if he takes you to the ground it is truly over....
Works the stick and blade well, and is just a genetic monster to top it all off. He can take his stuff to the street, and I know I want to be on his side when the mojo goes down..

I am truly proud to be his brother and wish him the best...

Say hi to everyone for me.

Kajukenbo forever

Dean.
Student of the arts
www.austinkaju.com

Offline MARK GERRY

• Global Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2003, 12:43:21 PM »
DEAN

YES LOTS HAPPENED AT GRANDMASTERS DINNER I WILL TRY AND GET ALL THE INFO ON WHO GOT WHAT RANK.
MARK