Author Topic: GM Fescina's videos  (Read 17024 times)

Offline John Bishop

• Senior Black Belt
  • Black Belt
  • Seek Knowledge, Not Rank
John Bishop  8th Degree-Original Method 
Under Grandmaster Gary Forbach
K.S.D.I. # 478, FMAA

"You watch, once I'm gone, all the snakes will start popping their heads up!"  Sijo Emperado

Offline xGUMOx

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
    • SAVAGEBREEDKAJUKENBO.WEBS.COM
Re: GM Fescina's videos
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 09:58:20 AM »
LMAO!!!
SIFU BILLY GUMATAOTAO-5TH DEGREE BLACK BELT
GUMATAOTAO KAJUKENBO/SAVAGE BREED MMA
BAUTISTA & GUMATAOTAO LINEAGE
SAVAGEBREEDKAJUKENBO.WEBS.COM

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • "Accept the things to which fate binds you"
    • Bono's Jeet Kune Do and Kajukenbo
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 10:17:39 AM »
Hummmmm
GM John E Bono DC
9th Degree Grand Master Gaylord Method Kajukenbo
Full Instructor-Hartsell's Jeet Kune Do Grappling Assoc
Chief Instructor Bono's Jeet Kune Do/Kajukenbo
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision

Offline Gints Klimanis

• Black Belt
    • Gentlemen's Fighting Club
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 08:43:19 PM »
Never hit someone when their down?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=mY8yed0Dp0M

The first few are common seminar fare with a humorous presentation.  I'll pick on the last one.  These are dojo techniques that wouldn't work if the uke was actually allowed to grab, smash the opponent into the wall and adapt to the opponent's movements.  Come on.   As for the statement kicking the man when he's down, that will probably keep you out of jail at the risk of not finishing the fight. 
"We do not condone the use of a toilet seat as a deadly weapon"
Go Shin Jutsu Kenpo, 3rd Degree Black Belt Prof. Richard Lewis
Bono JKD/Kajukenbo, Prof. John Bono, San Jose, CA
Baltic Dog, Dog Brothers Martial Arts

JessieEscobedo

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 10:15:38 PM »
No disrespect to anyone, but can anyone now create there own system?

www.dojos.com/kempomartialarts/index.htm

Offline NYKaju

• Black Belt
  • Village Pariah
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 12:44:54 AM »

Two part answer...

a) Yes anyone can create their own system. Is there some grand martial arts council one must consult before being permitted to start their own style or system that I'm not aware of?

b) GM Rich's system is simply his school's Kempo curriculum -not a new martial arts style- just as you are under GM Garcia's organization and train under that prescribed curriculum.

Side Note: Those vids take me back
Sensei/Coach James Mayors
Ronin Martial Arts
Kajukenbo under Dan Tyrrell
BJJ under Matt Serra
Judo under Mark Staniszewski
"You don't rise to the level of your expectations, you fall to the level of your training"

Offline BlackLabel

• BlackBelt
  • Yellow Belt
  • tkd on left, kaju on right
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2008, 01:16:45 AM »
i got the drift in the video about not repeatedly kicking someone while they are down, but there is no legal distinction between kicking someone on the ground and punching (choking, etc.) them while they are standing up. The intent and state of mind of the actor doing the kicking comes into question more than anything under those circumstances. I'd say if I was attacked and shoved into a wall I would probably be kicking till the patrol cars pulled up or until I felt that the threat was gone. Am I wrong here?
Sibak Jason Akers
Instructor: Sigung Robert Robinson
Absolute Martial Arts West Monroe, La.

Offline NYKaju

• Black Belt
  • Village Pariah
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008, 02:05:50 AM »
i got the drift in the video about not repeatedly kicking someone while they are down, but there is no legal distinction between kicking someone on the ground and punching (choking, etc.) them while they are standing up. The intent and state of mind of the actor doing the kicking comes into question more than anything under those circumstances. I'd say if I was attacked and shoved into a wall I would probably be kicking till the patrol cars pulled up or until I felt that the threat was gone. Am I wrong here?

I agree to a degree, though here's how I believe the law at least around here works (though I am no legal expert, so take this with a heaping of salt)...

"Self defense" ends when you become the aggressor. If someone goes to mug you, you crack them in the jaw, and they take off running only to have you chase them down and hospitalize them, you now open yourself up to charges. Anything from assault to attempted murder depending on how far you take it.

However if you are being mugged/attacked and happen to injure your assailant, I believe you are protected by law as defending yourself, with the result being explained as a coupling of your actions with the adrenaline rush in the heat of the moment.

I don't think kicking a downed assailant constitutes a showing of unreasonable force in self defense. You keep kicking him, because you "feared for your life" if he were to get back up. As long as you don't leave and come back with a bat, you can argue that you were acting out of fear and emotion, as opposed to a rational calculated assault. Much along the same guidelines that separate manslaughter from murder in the eyes of the law.
Ronin Martial Arts
BJJ under Matt Serra
"You don't rise to the level of your expectations, you fall to the level of your training"

Offline KBOWARRIOR

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • Train strong to remain strong/keep the flame alive
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2008, 09:55:56 AM »
Defending yourself is a mindset and any law enforcement that comes onto a scene will understand this.  Depending on who you are is probably how much you can get away with.  We had a subject who was a known gang member get into a fight at a local bar.  This subject had studied martial arts in Mexico when he was there.  He performed a roundhouse kick to the subjects head and the subject died because of this kick.  The subject was not on the ground, he was standing up.  Lets take that and go with a college student walking home and is attacked by a guy for no reason.  The college student has studied and kickes the guy in the head standing.  My guess is he will be ok, the other person attacked him.  The same will go for ground work.  Unless you hit a person just right and they go out, you are not going to take someone out standing.  KAJUKENBO concept, block - attack, stun, takedown, finish.  I just had a case where a subject stole a farmers quad, the farmer chased him for about 4 miles in his truck.  The subject got up and thought that he was going to wip this little farmer, suspect = 6-00 / 240 pounds.  Farmer = 5-9 / 175 pounds.  Little farmer started wippin suspects rear so suspect tries to run off.  The suspect jumped into a water tender truck that was parked a short distance from there.  The little Hispanic guy that owned the truck, 5-5 / 145 pounds, didn't take kindly to that.  He pulled a shovel from the back of the truck and when the little farmer pulled the guy from the truck, little Hispanic guy hit him repeatedly with the shovel.  Needless to say, they guy was arrested.  The police report reads that the victim's used the necessary force to detain and arrest the subject for the theft.  Whatever you do to someone, just be ready to explain when the police arrived.  If I drop someone to the ground and I pound him 4 or 5 good shots to keep him down, you shouldn't have a problem.  You also have to know where to hit to make those 4 or 5 shots count to keep the guy down, without killing him.  That is where groundwork comes in.  Groundwork is what KAJUKENBO is all about. 
Sifu Mark Wallace
Harper Kajukenbo
Visalia, California
Emperado Revised System

Offline NYKaju

• Black Belt
  • Village Pariah
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2008, 10:46:10 AM »
Defending yourself is a mindset and any law enforcement that comes onto a scene will understand this.  Depending on who you are is probably how much you can get away with.  We had a subject who was a known gang member get into a fight at a local bar.  This subject had studied martial arts in Mexico when he was there.  He performed a roundhouse kick to the subjects head and the subject died because of this kick.  The subject was not on the ground, he was standing up.  Lets take that and go with a college student walking home and is attacked by a guy for no reason.  The college student has studied and kickes the guy in the head standing.  My guess is he will be ok, the other person attacked him.  The same will go for ground work.  Unless you hit a person just right and they go out, you are not going to take someone out standing.  KAJUKENBO concept, block - attack, stun, takedown, finish.  I just had a case where a subject stole a farmers quad, the farmer chased him for about 4 miles in his truck.  The subject got up and thought that he was going to wip this little farmer, suspect = 6-00 / 240 pounds.  Farmer = 5-9 / 175 pounds.  Little farmer started wippin suspects rear so suspect tries to run off.  The suspect jumped into a water tender truck that was parked a short distance from there.  The little Hispanic guy that owned the truck, 5-5 / 145 pounds, didn't take kindly to that.  He pulled a shovel from the back of the truck and when the little farmer pulled the guy from the truck, little Hispanic guy hit him repeatedly with the shovel.  Needless to say, they guy was arrested.  The police report reads that the victim's used the necessary force to detain and arrest the subject for the theft.  Whatever you do to someone, just be ready to explain when the police arrived.  If I drop someone to the ground and I pound him 4 or 5 good shots to keep him down, you shouldn't have a problem.  You also have to know where to hit to make those 4 or 5 shots count to keep the guy down, without killing him.  That is where groundwork comes in.  Groundwork is what KAJUKENBO is all about. 

Thanks for the info. Very good stuff to know.
Ronin Martial Arts
BJJ under Matt Serra

Offline Chief Instructor

• Moderators
  • Brown Belt
    • Hokkien Martial Arts
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2008, 04:37:20 PM »
If I drop someone to the ground and I pound him 4 or 5 good shots to keep him down, you shouldn't have a problem.  You also have to know where to hit to make those 4 or 5 shots count to keep the guy down, without killing him.  That is where groundwork comes in.  Groundwork is what KAJUKENBO is all about. 

From a legal standpoint...I think if blood starts squirting everywhere or the person is knocked out after the first hit, the next 3-4 hits will be questionable and hard to justify.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 04:42:35 PM by Chief Instructor »
Sigung Andrew Evans, KSDI #888
Hokkien Martial Arts, Topeka, KS
http://www.TopekaKarate.com

Offline GM Sotelo

• Senior Moderator
  • Yellow Belt
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2008, 05:57:04 PM »
  Chief with all this legal stuff your taking the fun out of Kajukenbo.
      ground work is a vital part of Kaju.  
It was instilled in my early days  of training  It will always be in my street.
   ground work was brought in because Joe Emperado

I, rather be judged by 12 than be carried by 6
                            peace  Ted

Offline Kenpo_85

• Yellow Belt
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2008, 06:09:25 PM »

Yes, anyone can create their own system, whether they're qualified to or not. Unfortunately many of us have known and/or seen many of the latter of these people.

After looking at the link that you provided, I realized that I do not compare my arts to a dragon, snake, leopard, or a crane. I guess I have been studying an inferior art and have received inferior training and I need to cease teaching and begin a quest to learn a proper technique. ::)

Offline BlackLabel

• BlackBelt
  • Yellow Belt
  • tkd on left, kaju on right
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2008, 09:59:53 PM »
Chief,

I see your concerns as far as 'if the blood starts spurting' but I would I would also provide you these tidbits of information to remember: 'imminent danger of serious physical injury or loss of life' and 'based on my experience and training'. Two very very good things to know should a person find themselves in a situation such as you described.

'Imminent danger of serious physical injury or loss of life' is just that, being that the courts have established that a situation cannot be looked at with 20/20 hindsight, it should look only at the situation from the participants standpoint and what a reasonable person would/ should do. If a person can adequately justify their behavior and can show that a reasonable person would have acted the same or very similar based on the circumstances, then your actions are or would stand a better chance of being justified.

In instances where the average untrained person gets attacked, they would naturaly react differently than perhaps you or I. They may in fact run when the bad guy hits the ground (only to then get chased down and attacked again) Thats where the term 'based on my experience and training' comes in, that a trained martial artists should be able to state that through their training and experience, they know that an attacker still has the capability of attacking them from the ground or getting up and coming after them. Thats just a little more justification/ explanation for further action
(IF) required.

And right on GM Ted. I'd rather have the opportunity to explain myself to a jury and get acquitted than the possible alternative.   
Sibak Jason Akers
Instructor: Sigung Robert Robinson
Absolute Martial Arts West Monroe, La.

JessieEscobedo

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2008, 08:03:59 AM »
Food for thought, if you do cause blood on your opponent, how do you know this person does not have HIV virus? Make sure you don't get it on you.