Author Topic: GM Fescina's videos  (Read 17025 times)

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • "Accept the things to which fate binds you"
    • Bono's Jeet Kune Do and Kajukenbo
Re: GM Fescina's videos
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2008, 08:53:29 AM »
Really in an open wound....pretty weak virus by virus standards
GM John E Bono DC
9th Degree Grand Master Gaylord Method Kajukenbo
Full Instructor-Hartsell's Jeet Kune Do Grappling Assoc
Chief Instructor Bono's Jeet Kune Do/Kajukenbo
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision

Offline NYKaju

• Black Belt
  • Village Pariah
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2008, 11:02:26 AM »
Food for thought, if you do cause blood on your opponent, how do you know this person does not have HIV virus? Make sure you don't get it on you. 

Getting someones blood on you doesn't transmit the virus. Perhaps if you licked up his blood BJ Penn style, or got it on an open wound of yours maybe, but that sounds like a stretch IMO.
Sensei/Coach James Mayors
Ronin Martial Arts
Kajukenbo under Dan Tyrrell
BJJ under Matt Serra
Judo under Mark Staniszewski
"You don't rise to the level of your expectations, you fall to the level of your training"

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2008, 11:18:55 AM »
Like I said weak virus....blood transmitted
GM John E Bono DC
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision

JessieEscobedo

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2008, 12:12:39 PM »
Quote: Getting someones blood on you doesn't transmit the virus. Perhaps if you licked up his blood BJ Penn style, or got it on an open wound of yours maybe, but that sounds like a stretch IMO.

Tell that to my sister-in-law, she is head nurse in a hospital down in Harlingen, Texas. She had a patient splatter blood on her, they had to run test on her, plus wait a few weeks for another test.

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2008, 01:21:20 PM »
I guess they are just be careful, but it is passed by blood or other bodily fluid and needs direct contact such as blood to an open wound
GM John E Bono DC

Offline Chief Instructor

• Moderators
  • Brown Belt
    • Hokkien Martial Arts
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2008, 02:58:55 PM »
I, rather be judged by 12 than be carried by 6
                            peace  Ted

GM Ted, I totally agree with you! My statement above was just a fact and not my opinion. Also, the ellipses (...) was my way of saying I had more to say. That response was "from a legal standpoint" only.

Now from a self-defense and moral standpoint, I prefer a joint destruction technique (taking out a knee or ankle with a kick) as opposed to the ol' ground and pound. One will take away his wheels while protecting you, and the other may kill him while you take the chance of the attacker grabbing an arm during strikes.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 03:12:49 PM by Chief Instructor »
Sigung Andrew Evans, KSDI #888
Hokkien Martial Arts, Topeka, KS
http://www.TopekaKarate.com

Offline Chief Instructor

• Moderators
  • Brown Belt
    • Hokkien Martial Arts
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2008, 03:04:09 PM »
I would also provide you these tidbits of information to remember: 'imminent danger of serious physical injury or loss of life' and 'based on my experience and training'.    

Good information. But what I do in our women self-defense class is point at Sifu Sheryl who's five-foot-nothing and one of our big boys who's six-foot-plus and say, "There is no jury in this country that will convict her if she was attacked by a guy this size no matter what she does in self-defense. So, please don't think our techniques are too brutal. They're not. Think about what the attacker would do to you."

In instances where the average untrained person gets attacked, they would naturaly react differently than perhaps you or I. They may in fact run when the bad guy hits the ground (only to then get chased down and attacked again) Thats where the term 'based on my experience and training' comes in, that a trained martial artists should be able to state that through their training and experience, they know that an attacker still has the capability of attacking them from the ground or getting up and coming after them. Thats just a little more justification/ explanation for further action
(IF) required.

I like that argument, but many courts tend to use the reasonable person standard. Unfortunately, the average reasonable person is also the average untrained person. Thus, we're back to what GM Ted said about better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Now, in my scenario, a one-shot joint destruction will be easier to justify than 4-5 good shots.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 03:20:01 PM by Chief Instructor »
Sigung Andrew Evans, KSDI #888
Hokkien Martial Arts, Topeka, KS
http://www.TopekaKarate.com

Offline Gints Klimanis

• Black Belt
    • Gentlemen's Fighting Club
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2008, 03:50:41 PM »
Food for thought, if you do cause blood on your opponent, how do you know this person does not have HIV virus? Make sure you don't get it on you. 

HIV is apparently hard to contract this way.  Hepatitis B and C are easier to catch this way, according to a surgeon that told me surgeons catch B through during surgery.  C is harder to deal with.   
"We do not condone the use of a toilet seat as a deadly weapon"
Go Shin Jutsu Kenpo, 3rd Degree Black Belt Prof. Richard Lewis
Bono JKD/Kajukenbo, Prof. John Bono, San Jose, CA
Baltic Dog, Dog Brothers Martial Arts

Offline John Bishop

• Senior Black Belt
  • Black Belt
  • Seek Knowledge, Not Rank
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2008, 04:26:51 PM »
Well, I guess there's what is supposedly illegal, and is actually prosecuted.  I'm saying this from my 32 years of experience in California law enforcement.  The last 23 years working for a prosecutors office in a county of 3 million people. 
Short of someone being killed by use of a firearm or knife, I don't recall ever hearing of a someone being prosecuted for using excessive force in a self defense situation.  Even in the few cases that resulted in the death of an attacker, juries usually found for the defender.  Even in a state as liberal as California, most people still believe in a absolute right to self defense.  And if an attacker suffers serious injury or even death, it was his own fault.     
John Bishop  8th Degree-Original Method 
Under Grandmaster Gary Forbach
K.S.D.I. # 478, FMAA

"You watch, once I'm gone, all the snakes will start popping their heads up!"  Sijo Emperado

Offline steve B

• BlackBelt
  • Yellow Belt
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2008, 09:07:38 PM »
Prof. Bishop: How many cases have you seen where the guy defending went to jail for using a knife in self defense? Just a question that comes up often.
Steve Bramel
Black Belt/2nd Deg.
Heart Of Texas Kajukenbo
H-Town Branch

Offline John Bishop

• Senior Black Belt
  • Black Belt
  • Seek Knowledge, Not Rank
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2008, 09:58:51 PM »
Prof. Bishop: How many cases have you seen where the guy defending went to jail for using a knife in self defense? Just a question that comes up often.

I personally haven't heard of any during my time in the D.A.'s office.  The only time I've heard of people being prosecuted is when they've shot people who were no longer a threat.  But even these cases were not guilty verdicts. 
I think the general public is tired of being victimized, and most of the juries I've seen strongly support the self defense or defense of habitation rights.
Sure you will find a few cases around the country where someone was prosecuted and even convicted for using excessive force.  But for every one of those cases there are probably thousands of cases where someone defended themselves without being charged.

If you apply common sense to any situation, you should be fine.  Things like:

When he stops attacking or fighting, the right to self defense no longer applies.

Match the defense to the threat.  A 6' 200# man doesn't need a knife or club to defend himself against a 5'6" 130# attacker.  But be aware that the threat can also escalate at any time.   

Most of the instructors I know in Kajukenbo teach that you defend yourself vigoursly until the threat ends.    Knocking someone to the ground does not end the threat, and it does not end your right to self defense.  In fact if you back away, or hold off, your attacked may be able to arm himself.  A lot of people carry knives and guns now days. 
Myself if I knocked a attacker down, I'd continue with ground work (striking) until he gave up.  And I'd make sure I felt around his pockets and waist for a weapon before I let him up.   
John Bishop  8th Degree-Original Method 
Under Grandmaster Gary Forbach
K.S.D.I. # 478, FMAA

"You watch, once I'm gone, all the snakes will start popping their heads up!"  Sijo Emperado

Offline BlackLabel

• BlackBelt
  • Yellow Belt
  • tkd on left, kaju on right
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2008, 11:21:39 PM »
One other noteworthy point is that it takes twelve to convict- the prosecutor has to convince all twelve that the guilty person is in fact guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

The defense just has to convince one of those twelve the person accused isnt guilty. 

Sibak Jason Akers
Instructor: Sigung Robert Robinson
Absolute Martial Arts West Monroe, La.

Offline Patrick Campbell

• Sifu
  • BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • Train the way you fight!
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2008, 07:22:36 AM »
 Chief with all this legal stuff your taking the fun out of Kajukenbo.
      ground work is a vital part of Kaju.  
It was instilled in my early days  of training  It will always be in my street.
   ground work was brought in because Joe Emperado

I, rather be judged by 12 than be carried by 6
                            peace  Ted

I agree. Once you pull the trigger, there is no reversing the path of the bullet. Besides, we are only talking seconds here. I think most of us exhibit self-control and that "overkill" would never really be an issue.

Any debate is for those not involved in the heat of a battle already passed. The key is that we justify our defense by the degree of threat we are experiencing at the time. In most cases, only the agressor and defender really know the truth concerning this degree.

Pat
Patrick "Kaponookalani" Campbell, Ph.D.
KAJUKENBO - Professor Kai Li - ETS / HKA
Kenpo - SGM Rick Alemany 
DZR Jujitsu - ETS / AJI
BJJ - ETS / USFBJJ / Master Joe Moreira
Combat Sambo - ETS / GCA / GM Alan New 
JKD / Kun Tao - ETS / IMB / G. Savelli
Royal Hawaiian Lua - ETS PA / Olohe Eli

Offline prof rich

• Senior Black Belt
  • White Belt
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2008, 09:11:25 PM »
To all my Kajukenbo brothers
             I like to thank you for all your comments.When i teach at a clinic i teach simple technical movements that all ranks can learn.I found out through the years the students remember more. I try not to teach them finishes their have their own. On people on the ground number one I aways feel that there is sombody else that is going to attack me so i try not to waist too much time with them. I do finish quick. Number two we can hurt someone real bad very easy and if you hurt them to bad your in jail. If the person has a knife or a gun and they still have it when they are on the ground that's a different story. The good new's is that i have more people wanting me to do more clinic's.

Yours In Spirit
                                                                                                      G.M. Rich Fescina

Offline NYKaju

• Black Belt
  • Village Pariah
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2008, 10:50:57 PM »
Rolling kneebar from turtle/fetal position for the win?
Sensei/Coach James Mayors
Ronin Martial Arts
Kajukenbo under Dan Tyrrell
BJJ under Matt Serra
Judo under Mark Staniszewski
"You don't rise to the level of your expectations, you fall to the level of your training"