Author Topic: The Sleazyness of Cross Ranking  (Read 13094 times)

Offline John Bishop

• Senior Black Belt
  • Black Belt
  • Seek Knowledge, Not Rank
The Sleazyness of Cross Ranking
« on: August 15, 2008, 02:50:00 AM »
Well tonight when I went to class the receptionist gave me my mail as usual.  I was expecting the same old stuff, tournament flyers, vitimin adds, etc.  I usually don't look at this stuff untill after classes, but one big envelope with a German post mark got me curious. 
So I open it up and what do I find.  The "Nippon Yawara Ryu AIKI-Ju Jitsu Renmei" has promoted me to "Menkyo-Kaiden-Hanshi" "10th Dan Judan Hanshi".  Big certificate 11" X 17", with a lot of Japanese kanji on it, and a cool drawing of a samurai.  I guess this German soke heard about the 6 hours of seminar training I have in Aiki-jujitsu.
But that's not all.  This same soke also heads the "World.Sijo.DaiSoke.Renmei. inc - Black Belts Association International".   And this organization gave me another really big and cool looking certificate, awarding me the rank of " Soke 10th Dan Hanshi" in the "Kajukenbo arts".   

Now after you stop laughing at how rediculous and sleazy this cross ranking garbage is, you have to became very offended.  And just plain pissed off.  What gives this sleezebag the idea that he has the authority to award a 10th degree rank in Kajukenbo? 
It's bad enough that these people make up systems that have no history, training requirements, or curriculum, just so they can trade rank certificates like baseball cards.  But when they choose to award rank in legitimate systems without the legitimate authority to do so, it just makes them more sleazy.  (I've been looking for words to describe this guy.  The thesaurus gives me suggestions like, shady, seedy, disreputable, disgraceful, dishonorable, vile, and despicable.  But "sleazy" just seems to fit the whole situation so well.) 

Now this sleazebag's letter congratulating me on my promotion and lifetime membership in his organization also requests that I "grant him membership in my organization".   Fat chance that will ever happen. 
Now you have to understand that I have never met this person, or even heard of him.  So I'm thinking nobody can take these certificates seriously.  I know quite a few people who like to trade certificates back and forth to pad their resumes.  But even though they may be thousands of miles apart, they usually know the people they trade promotions with.  Somehow they think that makes the rank swapping a little less sleazy.
But who on earth would claim rank that was received in the mail, unsolicited, by a person unknown to them?  Well, I goggled the guys name, and there are 10 pages of website listings where people are claiming rank from this guy. 

For lack of a better word, it's just sleazy.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 04:12:53 AM by John Bishop »
John Bishop  8th Degree-Original Method 
Under Grandmaster Gary Forbach
K.S.D.I. # 478, FMAA

"You watch, once I'm gone, all the snakes will start popping their heads up!"  Sijo Emperado

Offline Danjo

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • Kajukenbo Forever!
Re: The Sleazyness of Cross Ranking
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 03:43:25 AM »
I have to chime in here.

When I walked into class tonight, Prof. Bishop had this unreal look of disgust on his face. He handed me the certificates and said, "You're not going to F-ing believe this!" I'm still laughing hours later.
"Rank Without Honor is Nothing."
Dan Weston
3rd Degree Black Belt under Prof. Bishop
FMAA
Don't tell me how much you honor Sijo, if you don't respect his wishes.

Offline Danjo

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • Kajukenbo Forever!
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 03:49:10 AM »
Maybe this guy would like to be cross ranked in some of these?:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fictional_martial_arts
"Rank Without Honor is Nothing."
Dan Weston
3rd Degree Black Belt under Prof. Bishop
FMAA
Don't tell me how much you honor Sijo, if you don't respect his wishes.

Offline grand master hemenes

• Senior Black Belt
  • Blue Belt
  • grand master hemenes
    • hemeneskajukenbo.com
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 01:13:30 PM »
thats real funny i had kind of the same thing happen to me one of my x black belts was in the army for a while and got hooked up with this ta kwon do guy and in a year or so he gave him his black belt 3rd degree remember a year or so! so after he got out of the army i helped him get his school in fresno and he my kajukenbo black belt,  he hangs this diploma of his 3rd degree black belt and i tell jimmy how can you hang that on the wall when you dont even know anything abought ta kwon do and he just thought it was funny and said no one will ever know and its good for business people come in and they dont know any better. and he said how abought i get a diploma from larry with your name on it and come down to your school and give it to you in front of your students and make you a third degree in ta kwon do i told him your crazy i will make myself look like an fool everybody knows i never took ta kwon do Jimmy said ya but the new people that come in dont. and i told him no but i will. so the point given is like your self you have to have hornor with in your self. theres to many schools out there with fake diplomas all kinds of hall of fame deplomas you pay 200.00 for its kind of sad but i guess in the old days you just hung a open sign in the window (smile)so let your teaching on the mat do the talking instead of the paper on the wall.

prof. hemenes
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 12:05:49 AM by John Bishop »
GRAND MASTER HEMENES
GREAT GRAND MASTER GAYLORD
KOA MEMBER............

Offline Kenpo_85

• Yellow Belt
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 04:35:16 PM »
This just boils down to the reason that, unfortunately, it seems that a large majority of practitioners are into the Martial Arts... just for bragging rights about the titles they hold. This is quite sad, and the also the reason that I respect most of our groups that are true to their Hawaiian Kenpo roots, because within these groups this type of person seems to be the exception rather than the norm.

Offline kajukine2

• Senior Black Belt
  • Yellow Belt
    • Estellermma.com
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 05:16:32 PM »
Sounds like another "Back Slapper's Club" Anything that has "World" this, or "Hall of Fame" that, seems to be like that.
Anytime I get one of those I just put it where it where it belongs...GARBAGE CAN!
Ron Esteller Life long student of GM James Juarez...1968-Present

Board Member KAA
Board of Advisors, Pacific Jujitsu Alliance. DZR JJ
Black shirt Pedoy Escrima Derobio under
GM Melcor Chavez
Black Belt instructor in CQC, Knife/Counter Knife, Impact Weapon Combatives  under Hock W. Hockheeim

frank w.

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 08:24:00 PM »
Yes, Professor Ron (and everyone else)..we KNOW where are ranks came from! I get these kinds of things to go somewhere and get inducted into a Hall of Fame several times a year. Heck, I could start my own Hall of Fame!  Do they know me or ever seen me? NO! So, like Prof. Ronnie..I round file this kind of stuff.Oh, dear..I won't mention a name of someone who tricks people into giving him ranks!!  ;D
See you at your place, Ronnie on the 24th. Kajukenbo Forever!  Frank

Offline jensad

• Senior Black Belt
  • Yellow Belt
  • We are not if you can afford it, we will award it
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2008, 12:43:19 PM »

Instant martial arts - hurry to receive our free offer, of a black belt plus a gold seal and you are on your way to become another member of our school, "if you can afford, WE can award it."  Easy sweat free lessions one per week for one year and you too can be promoted to black belt.

Sound familiar?  I have been hearing this cra# fo over 45 years from people who want to have the title, but do not want the pain, and work to get it.  But then it seems that our society and the world want titles, but not the work to earn them.  Such is the world but not real Kajukenbo.

The beauty of Kajukenbo is that one earns his/her ranking, however, ranking is meaningless unless you live the Art and not just mouth it.   I used to get frustrated when outsiders, example -  my extended family members back in the 1960-70 would talk about Mr/miss X, who is a 5th (fill in here) and only had studied for about one year.  I had to set them straight. 

No pain, no gain.  And indeed, a ranking was and is a collaterial gift from my teacher, and your teacher, to indicate that you EARNED IT and can go out on the street and PROVE IT if need be. 

And you don't have to run around and tell everyone that you are a XYZ level black belt at ABC award it school. 

Sorry for the ranting, but I hate phonies and I dislike people who need to keep their mouths shut, and learn what we offer as teachers, and students of Kajukenbo.  Kajukenbo is REAL and so are the people who post and read posts on this site and others.

I love this Art and it has worked for me in my old profession, and it saved my life in that profession. 

God bless to all and stay strong and lets keep the Kajukenbo family strong too.

Jim Nordlie GM, 9th degree, third student of GGMCharles Gaylord.
Jim Nordlie
Since 1963 a student of Great Grand Master Charles H. Gaylord.

Offline grand master hemenes

• Senior Black Belt
  • Blue Belt
  • grand master hemenes
    • hemeneskajukenbo.com
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2008, 02:36:40 AM »
nice replies but the sad thing is that all of us old time kajukenbo guys knows better whos who but the sad thing is the new people that dont know better thats what hurts me. they get blinded from paded deplomas and wantabes hall of famers, or there web sites that makes them look like a kararte legion but they are a legion in there own mind. there the ones that cant even do 12 pinuons. but they hold 7,8, degrees very sad. heres one web site for exsample this black belt puts down that he is a undfeded full contack champon
and i said to him how can you put that down you never fought full contact! and Jimmy repleys ya i onece fought one round and i won that round so that makes me undefded. so you see the smoke screen. so sad for the people that dont no anybetter. owell i dont what to get started i will be here all night and i dont spell very well (smile) so lets open our eyes real wide and look past the smoke screens

prof. hemenes
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 12:06:45 AM by John Bishop »
GRAND MASTER HEMENES
GREAT GRAND MASTER GAYLORD
KOA MEMBER............

Offline MVPMatt

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2008, 08:34:25 AM »
Professor Bishop,

How about sending a reply :

"I am accepting this belt and rank on a conditional basis until I get to Germany next week to fulfill the finality of any promotion, as we do in our system with the test.  I am anticipating it will be both intense and tasking as I am sure you, personally will want to test my skills, considering the rank at stake.  Furthermore while you are testing me, I will be doing the same for you to assess your worth in admission to my association.  I look forward to the conclusion of this event, as I'm sure a mutual test of our mettle will be nothing more than a mere formality for one such as yourself who, I'm sure has gone through this time and time again.  I will send you my arrival itinerary tomorrow to make further arrangements.

Professor John Bishop

p.s.  I will have a few of my top students with me as witnesses ( they're also really good at setting broken bones and reviving folks after they pass out :) "

I think something to that effect may get his attention    ;D

Who knows, if he really thinks you're serious he may relocate to Nepal and stop the rank silliness all together.

Have fun  ;)
Sifu Matthew Porter
3rd Degree Black Belt
Under Professor Rodney Alo
Athens, TX

Offline thoughtbombing

• White Belt
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 08:25:11 AM »
Professor Bishop, with my supreme power as the... uh

leader of the Way Too Much Fried-Foods Association, aka WTF...

I hereby promote you to 10th Dan in whatever that one guy was offering, and I'll also promote you to 10th Dan in Kajukenbo... cuz hey, I'm a nice guy. Forget the fact that I don't actually study your system and know very little about it. I have the power to promote you. Don't ask how, it's secret

Oh, and though I can promote you to 10th Dan in Kajukenbo, I would actually appreciate it if you could just let my poor performance on my white belt kata slide and invite me into the inner circle. I hear you have cookies. I love cookies.

Sorry, I had to. I guess it makes sense than someone can promote you in their art if they want... how could they promote you in YOUR art, and they don't even study it? Doesn't make sense.
Raphael Drees
Unaffiliated
New London, CT

Offline thoughtbombing

• White Belt
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 08:32:27 AM »
Professor Bishop,

How about sending a reply :

"I am accepting this belt and rank on a conditional basis until I get to Germany next week to fulfill the finality of any promotion, as we do in our system with the test.  I am anticipating it will be both intense and tasking as I am sure you, personally will want to test my skills, considering the rank at stake.  Furthermore while you are testing me, I will be doing the same for you to assess your worth in admission to my association.  I look forward to the conclusion of this event, as I'm sure a mutual test of our mettle will be nothing more than a mere formality for one such as yourself who, I'm sure has gone through this time and time again.  I will send you my arrival itinerary tomorrow to make further arrangements.

Professor John Bishop

p.s.  I will have a few of my top students with me as witnesses ( they're also really good at setting broken bones and reviving folks after they pass out :) "

I think something to that effect may get his attention    ;D

Who knows, if he really thinks you're serious he may relocate to Nepal and stop the rank silliness all together.

Have fun  ;)

That
Raphael Drees
Unaffiliated
New London, CT

Offline Kenpo_85

• Yellow Belt
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2008, 12:00:19 PM »
One positive thing about the old days was the fact that people had to prove their ranks. James Mitose knew that it was alright to allow Willie Chow use the title of "Professor" because there was nobody that could step up to him and show that he didn't deserve it. There would be many fewer pseudo black belts if every newly promoted Shodan got a knock on his door by 10 local area proven black belts.

A great example is Joe Palanzo, a 10th degree under Parker. If I were that guy, or affiliated with him or their organization, I would be embarrassed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOqzjCRZ1qY
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 12:04:53 PM by Kenpo_85 »

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • "Accept the things to which fate binds you"
    • Bono's Jeet Kune Do and Kajukenbo
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 01:41:21 PM by KajuJKDFighter »
GM John E Bono DC
9th Degree Grand Master Gaylord Method Kajukenbo
Full Instructor-Hartsell's Jeet Kune Do Grappling Assoc
Chief Instructor Bono's Jeet Kune Do/Kajukenbo
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision

Offline Dennis Peterson

• BlackBelt
  • Yellow Belt
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2008, 01:38:24 PM »
Mockie?
Peterson' Mixed Martial Arts Academy
Professor Dennis Peterson
Under Grandmaster Mitch Powell
Original Method Kajukenbo/MMA