Author Topic: Asking for Rank???  (Read 20160 times)

Offline John Bishop

• Senior Black Belt
  • Black Belt
  • Seek Knowledge, Not Rank
Re:Asking for Rank???
« Reply #75 on: March 30, 2004, 07:00:40 PM »
You got that right Sifu Chris.  I know there's people here who are not Kajukenbo, but for us who are:  There is no higher authority then Sijo.  Whatever he says is law in Kajukenbo.  He is the founder and creator of Kajukenbo, so all policies in Kajukenbo are set by him.  
John Bishop  8th Degree-Original Method 
Under Grandmaster Gary Forbach
K.S.D.I. # 478, FMAA

"You watch, once I'm gone, all the snakes will start popping their heads up!"  Sijo Emperado

Offline Dennis Peterson

• BlackBelt
  • Yellow Belt
« Reply #76 on: March 30, 2004, 07:20:25 PM »
All responses have had good insight.  At times I have felt I did not deserve my current rank and then other times I felt I deserved it.  When I felt that way it was when my teacher said Dennis you are testing tonight/today…. No stresses just show time!

Asking for rank is like asking for money without collateral or any intention of repaying.  I felt within the Ohana of Kajukenbo that ranking is just like what Mr. Harper has said which is a way of giving back to Kajukenbo.  I feel ranking is a reflection of your teacher and the school for whom you represent.  We judge ourselves different from what our teachers first saw when we walked through those doors.  

Every day I learn more than yesterday.  Well said Wado and Mr. Evans, “two inches to cover your asp and the empty cup,” it is the person not the belt.

Where this thread is going can only leave our Grandmasters chuckling and shaking their heads.

Peterson' Mixed Martial Arts Academy
Professor Dennis Peterson
Under Grandmaster Mitch Powell
Original Method Kajukenbo/MMA

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
« Reply #77 on: March 30, 2004, 07:43:16 PM »
Rank would be cool if it didnt have all that political stuff. :-\

I believe if someone says "No, thank you" than we should respect their wishes and take their opinion into consideration. Especially if it will change this persons life forever. It is not to be disrespectful it is showing a sign of growing up.

To accept rank is to say yes to all of it not just the belt. There are two types of people LEADERS and FOLLOWERS. Followers enjoy being followers. Leaders enjoy leading.

My feelings are strong because I was in this situation.  :-\My first instructor wanted to give me rank and a school. I did not think I was ready. As tempting as it was something in my gut said, no. I declined.  :-\

At the time I was not ready for the responsibility. I was not mature enough for such a step. My instructor was very displeased with me.

As those doors slammed behine me I fortunate another door opened. It was the doors of 974 Benicia Road w/GM Bautista and GM Davis. ;D
Everything happens for a reason or it would have never happened in the first place.   ;D

Prof. Harper has a great ending as I do too.
Now we have read two sides. One that accepted rank and it was all good. One that declined rank and it too was great.  ;D

Anything good could happen or not. ;) We all can agree to disagree. ;)

Soifua,

Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

kajukembo

« Reply #78 on: March 30, 2004, 09:13:09 PM »
I like what Sijo said to Sigung Harper about his reasoning.  That makes a lot of sense.

Offline John Bishop

• Senior Black Belt
  • Black Belt
  • Seek Knowledge, Not Rank
« Reply #79 on: March 31, 2004, 12:47:47 AM »
If you consider yourself more qualified then your instructor to know when you should be promoted, then you need to go out on your own, or get another instructor.  Because you've lost respect for his position as your instructor.  

John Bishop  8th Degree-Original Method 
Under Grandmaster Gary Forbach
K.S.D.I. # 478, FMAA

"You watch, once I'm gone, all the snakes will start popping their heads up!"  Sijo Emperado

Karazenpo

« Reply #80 on: March 31, 2004, 11:17:09 AM »
I like what Professor Harper said and I totally agree with Sigung Bishop. I feel telling your instructor you are not ready when he/she puts you up is 'undermining' them.  It is your instructor's call, not yours, that's why he's the instructor. As Sigung stated if you don't have confidence in his or her decisions then leave and seek one whom you trust and have confidence in.   ;)