Author Topic: If you could train with anyone  (Read 18077 times)

Offline Mitch Powell

• Senior Black Belt
  • Brown Belt
If you could train with anyone
« on: October 01, 2003, 11:13:46 AM »
If you could train with anyone-alive or dead who would it be and why?

My first choice would be William Chow in a class with his students Adriano and Joe Emperado. I would want to experience the intensity of the work out and see what they were thinking when they trained.

My second choice would be James Mitose's teacher; just to learn their identity.

My final choice would be Kenwa Mabuni. He taught and corrected the forms of many of the great masters.
Powell's MMA Academy (KSDI#549)
Grandmaster Mitch Powell (Emperado Method)
(707) 344-1655  coachmitchpowell@hotmail.com

Offline Humble Student

• White Belt
    • Home Page
Re:If you could train with anyone
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2003, 09:54:44 PM »
My three kids...family is everything.

Respectfully-
« Last Edit: October 01, 2003, 09:56:26 PM by Humble Student »
Mike Johnson  
Guangxi School of Martial Arts          
Napa, California

Offline Spaniard

• BlackBelt
  • Yellow Belt
    • mormon.org
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2003, 11:43:10 PM »
Funakoshi Sensei- since he had such an influence on Karate as a whole

General Choi Hong Hi- the founder of Tae Kwon Do, because he felt character in training was so important

Edmund K.  Parker- made martial arts pretty and nasty and was just a genius at figuring out what makes them tick

Professor Emperado- 'nuff said

Professor Chow- 'cause it seems like he gave the arts descended from him (Kajukenbo, Kara- Ho Kempo, American Kenpo, etc.) their practicality while still being artistic
Erik P., 2nd degree Black Belt Kajukenbo under Sifu Jim Fassler Chrisitan Kajukenbo Ministry, White Belt American Kenpo, 1st Black Belt Tae Kwon Do OhDoKan
"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it."- Voltaire

Offline Spaniard

• BlackBelt
  • Yellow Belt
    • mormon.org
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2003, 11:45:09 PM »
Oh yeah, and though it is cliché now, Bruce Lee.  May not agree with it all, but he was a genius and willing to "put up." :)
Erik P., 2nd degree Black Belt Kajukenbo under Sifu Jim Fassler Chrisitan Kajukenbo Ministry, White Belt American Kenpo, 1st Black Belt Tae Kwon Do OhDoKan
"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it."- Voltaire

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2003, 06:12:29 PM »
Good Afternoon:

I agree with Prof Powell for the first two comments.

My third would be where I am now with GM Bautista, GM Davis, Prof. Powell and Prof. Joe Bautista.

It's absolute KAJU HEAVEN.  ;)

Soifua,

Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

Offline Mell

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • www.watchthelamb.com
    • Watch the Lamb Ministries
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2003, 12:48:41 AM »
Outside of the Kajukenbo system?  Dan Inosanto - he is insanely fast!  

Sibak Mellody Porter
ANDERSON MARTIAL ARTS - Grafton, Ohio
www.ohiokajukenbo.com
www.watchthelamb.com

Offline kajudaddy

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2003, 01:14:43 AM »
Aleju Reyes
as a child i had deep respect for him.when he died kajukenbo lost a great man.i wish he had stayed around.it would of been a honor to train with him.
Paul Ferber
4th degree
Eugene Ray Kajukenbo
Great Falls,MT

TODD

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2003, 08:53:00 AM »
Sijo and Alejo Reyes as well.  Sijo and GM Reyes were/are a household name growing up.  My sifu has/had a picture of him on the studio wall.  I would like to visit and possibly train with my fathers instructor Phil Palomo, and my father/sifu's first black belt Mark Stringer some day too.

Offline Bautista's

• teaching since 1966
  • Senior Moderator
  • Brown Belt
  • you show me-I show you
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2003, 12:51:11 PM »
If I could train with somone it would be the old class that I trained with when I first started the martial arts. They were my mentors. my guides, my seniors and juniors, my buddies. We had shared many trying, but also memorable times together. The inspiration, the challenge, the experience, the commitment and the attitude and what we had for each other. The guidance which was given by each member to make the other ones stonger. To help succeed in our goals, to be a better person. I miss those days.
Emil Bautista
Kajukenbo black belt (1966)

Jon Pack

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2003, 11:00:52 PM »
Ng Mei and the person responsible for the maturation of Wing Chun and the Dragon Pole...the name escapes me.
Chang San Fen(spell?)-Tai Chi Founder
Bruce Lee-Jeet Kun Do concepts
William Chow-Kenpo Jujitsu
Remy Presas-Modern Arnis
Matayoshi-Kobudo G.M.
Jon Pack

Offline Chief Instructor

• Moderators
  • Brown Belt
    • Hokkien Martial Arts
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2003, 01:46:13 PM »
Too many martial artists to choose from. I'll just narrow it down to the ones who have passed away.

Walter Godin said Joe Emperado would often take him to secluded parks and practice self-defense that nobody else saw and Joe Emperado would tell Godin "to remember the techniques." It would be great to train with them during these sessions.

It would be great to train with Bruce Lee while he was at the University of Washington and training in Seattle's International District. Those were important formative years for him.

It would also be great to once again swing sticks with Remy Amador Presas. I didn't realize how much of a difference he would make in my training until years later.
Sigung Andrew Evans, KSDI #888
Hokkien Martial Arts, Topeka, KS
http://www.TopekaKarate.com

Sibak Matt

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2003, 10:35:25 PM »
If I could train with ANYONE????    ???

I think I would train (again) with Sigung Rod Rod Alo  8), my senior instructor.  His wealth of knowledge and sense of application are uncanny.  He has a phenominal ability to see the person and contour the form to look best for each.  He also made me aware of the meaning and responsibility of OHANA!  It's more than a title or feeling when you're around class, friends and family.  Also, between hard and soft styles, he never ceases to suprise me with something I didn't know he can do....
 ;D
...what else can I say, he's amazing and I'm proud to be one of his Black Belts.  Yeah, if I had to do it all again with anyone past or present, it's YOU, SIGUNG - YOU'RE THE BEST!!!         8)

Ohana,
Sibak Matt Porter
Escondido (San Diego), CA

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2003, 12:57:40 AM »
Hi Todd:

Are you looking to train with Phil Palomo or GM Joe Davis his instructor?

GM Davis is my instructor and he is doing very well. We train every Thursday from 7-9 p.m. at GM Bautistas school in Vallejo. If you are ever in the neighborhood stop on by.  

Soifua,
Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

TODD

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2003, 08:20:46 AM »
My sifu (father) lives in Folsom nowadays so yes I will definately head to Vallejo next time I visit.  I would like to meet GM Joe Davis and meet up with Phil again.  Last time I saw him I must have been around 5 to 7 years old.  Do you know Phil (I would use title but don't know it anymore ???)?  What is he up too lately?   My dad was talking about getting ahold of him but I don't know if he found him yet.

TODD

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2003, 09:04:07 AM »
Kajushodan: Thanks for clearing an unasked question.  I thought GM Joe Davis was Phil Palomo's instructor but I was not 100% (I never insinuate or assume ;)).  I vaguely remember Mr. Palomo training with GM Alejo Reyes as well.  My sifu started with Bill Rodriguez until blue belt I believe, and then started under Phil Palomo.  If I ever visit CA again long enough I plan on chasing my roots.  I will get to Hawaii some day as well. ;D