Author Topic: I have some newbie questions about variations of Kajukenbo  (Read 2922 times)

Offline thoughtbombing

• White Belt
I have some newbie questions about variations of Kajukenbo
« on: August 14, 2008, 09:17:06 AM »
My question, on variations between styles, teachers, etc... I'm just reading up on Kajukenbo while refreshing my knowledge of Judo scoring in the Olympics, but came across some local Kajukenbo schools in my area and noted that the majority of them come from the "Emperado" line, and are Licensed by "Griffin" who I already have read passed away.

When a school advertised that they offer an Emperado Hawaii variation from Griffin's Judo and Karate Intnl, what are they saying exactly? Other than the names associated with it... do they mean the original, hardstyle... do they mean something else?

What are the major fundamental differences between the styles of Kajukenbo, if any... how does an untrained eye pick up on these variations, or can they even be explained with words?

Also, if one wanted to be able to properly defend themselves in a real world situation, yet still be able to attack offensively in a tournament situation, which style would be the most rounded to begin with--with a basis of a Taekwondo brown belt, and 10+ years of grappling/greco roman wrestling/freestyle wrestling at a National level? And in a manner of speaking, in my area there is an abundance of places to learn this particular Martial Art... if you have to choose from a list of people who trained under GM Griffin, who would you be trained by/are you currently training with?

Those proficient in more than one style, which has been more affective in real world and tournament situations?

R. Drees
Unaffiliated
New London, CT
Raphael Drees
Unaffiliated
New London, CT

Offline ghostman

• BlackBelt
  • White Belt
Re: I have some newbie questions about variations of Kajukenbo
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 08:53:44 PM »
Can't figure out which question you are seeking an answer to first. Suggest you research early Kajukenbo history and it's incredible founders, then decide what question would be the best 1st one. We see both soft and hard styles and they are all practical & destructive, and devised to work against skilled fighters. Hope this helps a little, as there are much more qualified people to help, but I saw no other responses. Hope you find all your answers
Lou Ivie
2nd Black Belt
KSDI of North Texas
Sigung Jesse Escobedo
Heart of Texas Kajukenbo

Offline evillerks

• White Belt
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 10:47:13 PM »
to respond to your question. I find that not only kajukenbo / kenpo is very destructive. And alot of other styles don't want to reconize this as an art they quote it as dirty fighting. And in my own personal experience using these 2 styles especially in kickboxing circuits we get railroaded alot. But, anyways if you use this style in the right fashion you shouldn't have any problems defending and yet defeating your enemies with in seconds. and it doesn't matter how many. that the way the style was designed. thats enough for the bad side of kajukenbo, the good side is it developes areas that maybe you may not be aware of. I personally find sifu Dacascos is excellent to learn under and you wont be disappointed as long as you can find his teaching I personally have information up to purple, but my bad luck with my sifu relocating i couldnt test for my blue and or purple. anyways I hope I helped you with some questions you may have. good luck
ken korkoskie

Offline envisiontj

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • Thanks Jeff and Boogie!!
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 11:45:53 PM »
Hello evillerks.  Thank you for your input and welcome to the Kajukenbo Cafe.  Please put your full name and affilliation in the signature section of your profile, as required by Cafe Policy and so we can get to know you better.  Thank you.

Sifu Trent
Sifu Trent Junker
Realm Of The Tiger Kajukenbo - Portland, OR
Under GM Gerry Scott