Author Topic: A Kajukenbo McDojo...  (Read 15187 times)

Offline Kenpo_85

• Yellow Belt
A Kajukenbo McDojo...
« on: December 03, 2008, 03:47:33 PM »
There is a local school in my area that I have heard a few typical McDojo stories about, including long term contracts with high monthly rates, with "Black Belt Program" and "Demonstration Team" contract upgrades. Over the years I have received numerous students who have walked away from them (some just after the trial period), one being my highest ranking assistant instructor who has been training with me for nearly 7 years.

Never paying much attention to them, I never fathomed that they were a Kaju school. Recently while attempting to combat boredom, I ran across their website. This is when I found out that they are a member of the Tum Pai branch of the Kajukenbo system. They have a 6th degree head instructor that uses the title of "Master", have started offering Krav Maga and BJJ classes to keep up with the latest fads and trends. They have a program teaching "XMA", and a class for the "Little Dragons". Taking a look at their list of black belts, you will find a list of names of approximately 150 black belts that the single school has cranked out. From time to time I'll even see one of their students walking around in a store with their gi and belt on.

Their entire website stinks like a McDojo, with quotes such as "We truly are a Black Belt School", and "Our teaching methods must be good, they have been around for 2000 years," and displaying their instructors' photos with lightning bolts in the background. After doing a little bit of looking around I found that they appear to be affiliated with Premier Martial Arts, which is a long chain of McDojos operating around the country. It makes my head hurt to know that the name of Kajukenbo is being abused and hijacked for the sole purpose of financial gain.

http://www.vancouvermartialarts.com/

http://www.pmaschools.com/

So what do you guys think?

Offline jensad

• Senior Black Belt
  • Yellow Belt
  • We are not if you can afford it, we will award it
Re: A Kajukenbo McDojo...
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 10:35:14 PM »
I believe W. C. Fields said, paraphrasing, "a sucker is born every minute".  I always told my students when they would  talk about McDojo schools near our school, we are NOT an "if you can afford it we will award it school."  I have heard about several of my students kicking backside on the street against other "martial artists". 

My daughter has one of our grandson's in such a school.  I watched one night and walked out.  It is embarrassing fo rme to watch such crap.  MY daughter told me that she did not want her son to come down to our school because it was too hard and too dificult.  And she is soooo right!  But then that is Kajukenbo.

I told her that I loved her and my grandson, and I know that when he is ready to learn  REAL karate he will come to our school.  He already asked me if he could and I told him no, not until he gets his black belt in the phone school, then come to our school and learn real stuff.

I guess what I am saying, my teacher GGM Gaylord taught us to beat the sh## out of each other so when we got on the street and used our sytem's weapons, we will kick booty.  Still true after 45 years in this Art.  It works and the charlitans will come and go, but Kajukenbo/Kenpo will always be the best.

Sorry for the ramblings, I hope all have a peaceful and pleasant holidays.

Jim Nordlie, GM, and black belt student of GGM Charles H. Gaylord

Jim Nordlie
Since 1963 a student of Great Grand Master Charles H. Gaylord.

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • "Accept the things to which fate binds you"
    • Bono's Jeet Kune Do and Kajukenbo
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 12:49:00 AM »
Pretty scary,

wow
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 08:42:06 AM by KajuJKDFighter »
GM John E Bono DC
9th Degree Grand Master Gaylord Method Kajukenbo
Full Instructor-Hartsell's Jeet Kune Do Grappling Assoc
Chief Instructor Bono's Jeet Kune Do/Kajukenbo
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision

Offline Gints Klimanis

• Moderators
  • Black Belt
    • Gentlemen's Fighting Club
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 01:23:35 AM »
Thanks for posting those videos, Prof. Bono.

(I'm typing this with a big fat lip because I didn't wear a mouthguard and took a knee.  You know you're not supposed to tongue it, but you just can't stop ...)

These videos show what parents want.  My neighbor knocked on my door and asked me where her son could learn to "roll".  Sensing she didn't want any punching or kicking, I mentioned sport judo and self-defense ju-jitsu, and she said that he doesn't want any of that.  (This kid spends his free time skateboarding on balance bar in his driveway).   I got it.  So, I recommended the Chinese Wushu place down the street for acrobatic leaps, flips and spins.  She walked away smiling.

These videos show unisex martial arts.  The skill of these black belts is the perfect 540 jump spin, and thin, small people are favored in this pursuit.   Parents want to put their kids in a flashy gymnastics program, and for at least another decade, a karate gi is more utilitarian than tights.  No one comes home with an unsightly fat lip. The parents rent a disciplinarian (karate teacher) for a few hours because they don't want to put even the slightest distance in their friendship with their children.  We shouldn't even bother to point out that this is little more than a simplified gymnastics program.
"We do not condone the use of a toilet seat as a deadly weapon"
Go Shin Jutsu Kenpo, 3rd Degree Black Belt Prof. Richard Lewis
Bono JKD/Kajukenbo, Prof. John Bono, San Jose, CA
Baltic Dog, Dog Brothers Martial Arts

Offline Ron Baker

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 07:05:43 AM »
Did I hear Mike Chat say "we don't teach self defense"??? 

'Sa darn shame.
Sigung (Shihan) Ron Baker
Kajukenbo 5280 MMA Foundation
Under GM Jason Groff
Ordonez Kajukenbo Ohana

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 09:01:00 AM »
Lets see fat lip or fracture cervical from a back flip???.......Bring on the knee to the face I say
GM John E Bono DC
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision

Offline Danjo

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • Kajukenbo Forever!
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 09:30:01 AM »
Holy Smokes that's a lot of black belts! Do they hand them out with the uniforms?
"Rank Without Honor is Nothing."
Dan Weston
3rd Degree Black Belt under Prof. Bishop
FMAA
Don't tell me how much you honor Sijo, if you don't respect his wishes.

Offline steve B

• BlackBelt
  • Yellow Belt
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 09:36:11 AM »
I had a very brief experience with Premier Martial Arts.. Got invited to a seminar, they claim to be teaching Krav Maga, Muay Thai, Kali, submission grappling, compared to what we do in Kajukenbo there stuff seemed absolutely hokey.  It was the land of child blackbelts and young instructors with stripes all accross their belts (very McDojoish). There self defense was insufficient to say the least.. One thing they are good at is marketing, maybe they should offer blackbelts in that. Anyway, the above mentioned Kaju school is not the first to switch to Premier.
Steve Bramel
Black Belt/2nd Deg.
Heart Of Texas Kajukenbo
H-Town Branch

Offline Mitch Powell

• Senior Black Belt
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2008, 11:33:48 AM »
It sounds like Hollywood needs to make a part two to the movie Foot, Fist, Way using this school!
Powell's MMA Academy (KSDI#549)
Grandmaster Mitch Powell (Emperado Method)
(707) 344-1655  coachmitchpowell@hotmail.com

Offline Danjo

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • Kajukenbo Forever!
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2008, 01:39:37 PM »
It sounds like Hollywood needs to make a part two to the movie Foot, Fist, Way using this school!

LOL. Gunyay!!! All they're missing is "Chuck the Truck".
Dan Weston
FMAA

Offline Danjo

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • Kajukenbo Forever!
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2008, 01:46:45 PM »
Or Maybe this Guy:

Dan Weston
FMAA

Offline Kenpo_85

• Yellow Belt
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2008, 02:25:43 PM »
These videos show what parents want.

I teach my kids with nearly the same intensity and contact that I do my adults. I find that, in general, parents are very receptive and supportive of the training that I provide their kids. When they walk into a class of kids that are laying hard kicks and punches into one another's lower abdomen and ribs, with the uki giving hard kiais, they are a bit taken back... you can feel the unsureness and uneasyness in the room when you have a group of new parents (particularly if they witness the adults striking one another in the throat).

As they continue to keep an eye on the more experienced groups as their kids are taught basic strikes for a week or two, they see that serious injuries, in general, do not happen, and that everyone walks away with a smile on their face. This instills confidence in them, that their kids are in good hands, as they are eased into the hard training as they are taught to kiai properly, and as they pick up the arts. The few parents that come through that don't like it know where to find the door. :)

In general conversation regarding martial arts training I too often hear statements like, "You can't teach that way anymore", or "If you do that now-a-days you'll get sued", or "American's are too soft to train like that", or "You can't have kids beating on each other like adults," etc, etc. I have made it my mission to prove all of those statements wrong, and I've produced some tough individuals in the process. This is where I think my experience in Kenpo as an elementary school aged kid comes to help me out... I remember how I worked out and what I could handle as a kid, so I know what these kids can handle as well, if they have the drive and the desire.

Please, give the kids a chance in your art, don't pawn them off to some other instructor of questionable motive because you have a preconceived notion that they are "not ready". Try it out. Push the kids to the limits; this is the only way that you will get a feel for what they can take.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 02:32:43 PM by Kenpo_85 »

Offline DKF1

• Blue Belt
    • Concord School of Karate
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2008, 02:46:00 PM »
I find it hard to believe that basically all of the instructors at this school recieved their black belts in Kajukenbo within three years. I've been training for three years in Gaylord's Method and just got my blue belt. I only train two to three days a week. Are these people training everyday to reach black at that rate or am I just slow in the head? ??? ( I do realize that some of the old school guys got their black belts that quickly, but they did train nearly everyday and the training then was much more brutal from what I can tell.)
David Fraga
Black Belt - Concord School of Karate
Williams Kajukenbo
Gaylord's Method

Offline DDS

• White Belt
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2008, 03:35:02 PM »
The pain feels good because the person who hit you under the eye executed the technique you taught them correctly.   :)

Derek Schroeder
Original Method under Todd Reiner

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2008, 03:50:52 PM »
David if I know Professor Jim he will make you earn every bit of every belt that's what makes him a great Instructor......at my school you may be yellow or purple....in that time to reach Blue you must be good....
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 11:00:40 PM by KajuJKDFighter »
GM John E Bono DC