Author Topic: Which martial arts style would best compliment / work well with Kajukenbo?  (Read 14339 times)

Offline Resik

• White Belt
I'm a long way from earning my black belt in CHA-3 Kenpo, although I'm working hard towards that goal.  I always like to think about how two different styles would blend together if someone had a black belt in both. 

Please tell why you voted the way you did.  Thanks for your input.
Hank Kiser
CHA 3 Kenpo

Offline Twin Fist

• White Belt
I mix TKD with kenpo.

TKD gives me strong technique, and good kicks, kenpo gives me good hands, and the concepts of flow and controlling the bad guy.

combined? it works pretty well.
John Tygart<br />KSDS Kajukembo<br />Under Sigung Burt Vickers

Offline Patrick Campbell

• Sifu
  • BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • Train the way you fight!
It's a personal thing as to which system(s) best compliment(s) one's KAJU, although I believe there may be some that might be some systems that would be consideredto hold little value. It is important that after much training in KAJU that the basic tenents and principles are internalized to the point of 2nd nature; then it is possible to better understand which systems best compliment KAJU (cross-training). I feel that my jujitsu and hapkido training and skills best compliments my KAJU although kun tao helped me greatly with footwork, flow and severity of attacks. Again, this is a personal thing.

pat
Patrick "Kaponookalani" Campbell, Ph.D.
KAJUKENBO - Professor Kai Li - ETS / HKA
Kenpo - SGM Rick Alemany 
DZR Jujitsu - ETS / AJI
BJJ - ETS / USFBJJ / Master Joe Moreira
Combat Sambo - ETS / GCA / GM Alan New 
JKD / Kun Tao - ETS / IMB / G. Savelli
Royal Hawaiian Lua - ETS PA / Olohe Eli

Offline sifutimg

• Senior Black Belt
  • Blue Belt
  • Iron sharpens iron-so another man sharpens another
I agree with Pat that it's a personal thing.  For me it has been the principle based Indonesian martial arts that has accentuated my Kajukenbo as well as delving down into more detail of the Filipino martial arts as it relates to the stick.  Also rolling with my Team Quest buddies is a good thing.

Kajukenbo definitely has more than enough to contemplate and practice I believe for years to come and one should stay focused and study all it can be for years and only then venture out and check out something else.  I have had many opportunities to train something else and call it this or that, but it's all Kajukenbo to me.  The founders vision is one that was way ahead of it's time for sure and count my blessings everyday.

Thank you Sijo!

Kajukenbo 4EVA!

Tim
Grandmaster Tim Gagnier
Student of Great Grandmaster Charles Gaylord & Grandmaster Sid Lopez
Chief Instructor Pacific Wind Kajukenbo
Student Forever
Yamhill, Oregon

Offline Dean Goldade

• Senior Black Belt
  • Blue Belt
  • Train hard & enjoy the ride!!!!
    • Goldade Kajukenbo Ohana
I enjoy and love the FMA's and other systems, and I feel it does help with my overall skill level. But if you wanna be Kajukenbo specific then why not train

To a high level in Karate, Judo & Jujitsu or the grappling arts, Kenpo, and Chinese and American boxing.??

Take what is functional from all the above and incorporate it into your program... It will take work and time to become proficient in all the disciplines, but hey..... What else ya got to do... :-)

Student of the arts
www.austinkaju.com

Offline MVPMatt

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
Kajukenbo:

- Karate
 - Judo
 - Ju-jitsu
 - Kenpo
 - Boxing

There's enough for everyone!!
 ;D
'nuff said.

Peace
Sifu Matthew Porter
3rd Degree Black Belt
Under Professor Rodney Alo
Athens, TX

Offline Jason1981

• White Belt
I'd add "Nike-do"...art of running like hell.  ;D 
Jason Weatherholt

No Kajukenbo affiliation, yet.

Offline Danjo

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • Kajukenbo Forever!

I notice you have "no Kaju Affiliation yet" but I could have guessed that by your reply. Running away isn't one of our specialties regardless of the branch or method.
"Rank Without Honor is Nothing."
Dan Weston
3rd Degree Black Belt under Prof. Bishop
FMAA
Don't tell me how much you honor Sijo, if you don't respect his wishes.

Offline Resik

• White Belt

Thanks Jason,

Running away is good self defense.  I believe that it's better to know how to fight and not have to then to have to fight and not know how to.

I'm 33 and never been in a fight.  I've fought people in the dojo, some were trying to take my head off, but never on the street.  Swallowing one's pride and walking (or even running when necessary) to not fight is a wise thing to do.  There is plenty of trouble in the world, if you can avoid it, THAT is great self defense!

All that said, there is a time to stand up to the bullies (and I have, they just backed down) and a time to fight (when someone comes in swinging or when there's a need to protect others).
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 08:32:10 AM by Resik »
Hank Kiser
CHA 3 Kenpo

Offline Jason1981

• White Belt
Running away isn't one of our specialties regardless of the branch or method.

I realize that.  I'll be studying Kaju so I'll have something useful for the times I can't run .    :)

Jason Weatherholt

No Kajukenbo affiliation, yet.

Offline Danjo

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • Kajukenbo Forever!
Running away isn't one of our specialties regardless of the branch or method.

I realize that.  I'll be studying Kaju so I'll have something useful for the times I can't run .    :)

:)
"Rank Without Honor is Nothing."
Dan Weston
3rd Degree Black Belt under Prof. Bishop
FMAA
Don't tell me how much you honor Sijo, if you don't respect his wishes.

Offline Luis1968

• Yellow Belt
Me myself i have found that TaiChi works well for me. Helped me greatly with balance andf with balance came better posture and even ppunchcing and my kicks.. but that was my choice.. i had thoght about doing something different but i decided to try TaiChi and i think it compliments kaju well.
Luis Aponte
Purple Belt
Griffins Karate and judo International
Emperado Method Kajukenbo
Grandmaster Kalaii Kano Griffin

Offline kajukine2

• Senior Black Belt
  • Yellow Belt
    • Estellermma.com
The TKD training in my early days helped me with my kicks,but now that im older with a fake hip, it does me almost NO good.. the DZR jujitsu ive trained in has made my JU better, and yes, the FMA/Indo arts have been a great influence in my movement. BUT....
NOTHING had mixed as well, made more sense, and made MY kaju better than working with Hock W Hockheeim and his Scientific Fighting Congress/CQC System...hockscqc.com...if you never heard of him check it out, LIFE saving stuff....JMHO...
RonE
Ron Esteller Life long student of GM James Juarez...1968-Present

Board Member KAA
Board of Advisors, Pacific Jujitsu Alliance. DZR JJ
Black shirt Pedoy Escrima Derobio under
GM Melcor Chavez
Black Belt instructor in CQC, Knife/Counter Knife, Impact Weapon Combatives  under Hock W. Hockheeim

Offline Dean Goldade

• Senior Black Belt
  • Blue Belt
  • Train hard & enjoy the ride!!!!
    • Goldade Kajukenbo Ohana
The TKD training in my early days helped me with my kicks,but now that im older with a fake hip, it does me almost NO good.. the DZR jujitsu ive trained in has made my JU better, and yes, the FMA/Indo arts have been a great influence in my movement. BUT....
NOTHING had mixed as well, made more sense, and made MY kaju better than working with Hock W Hockheeim and his Scientific Fighting Congress/CQC System...hockscqc.com...if you never heard of him check it out, LIFE saving stuff....JMHO...
RonE

Well you know I am with you on that one brother..  ;)
Student of the arts
www.austinkaju.com

Offline Resik

• White Belt
RonE

I'm going to the website and will check it out.  Thank you Sir.
Hank Kiser
CHA 3 Kenpo