Author Topic: Which martial arts style would best compliment / work well with Kajukenbo?  (Read 14340 times)

Offline kajukine2

• Senior Black Belt
  • Yellow Belt
    • Estellermma.com
Resik...let me know what you think... FYI he will at my place SF Bay area in August
Ron Esteller Life long student of GM James Juarez...1968-Present

Board Member KAA
Board of Advisors, Pacific Jujitsu Alliance. DZR JJ
Black shirt Pedoy Escrima Derobio under
GM Melcor Chavez
Black Belt instructor in CQC, Knife/Counter Knife, Impact Weapon Combatives  under Hock W. Hockheeim

Offline Resik

• White Belt
Resik...let me know what you think... FYI he will at my place SF Bay area in August

I checked out the website / system.  It looks great.  I live in Texas, so I emailed about a seminar not to far from me that is coming up in the summer!  Thanks you Sir.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 10:34:55 AM by Resik »
Hank Kiser
CHA 3 Kenpo

Offline Twin Fist

• White Belt
where at in texas?
John Tygart<br />KSDS Kajukembo<br />Under Sigung Burt Vickers

JessieEscobedo

Aloha,
       FYI, GM Garcia is still having his Texas seminar on July 11, 2009, which is on a Saturday in Arlington, Texas from 3pm - 7pm. More information at http://www.ksdint.com/news.htm

Mahalo,
Jessie

Offline Resik

• White Belt
where at in texas?

June 27
Sherman, TX
SDMS / Stick / Baton seminar

Hosted by Texoma Martial Arts
115 South Harrison, Sherman, Texas 75090. Telephone: 903-814-9966
www.texomamaa.com
Hank Kiser
CHA 3 Kenpo

Offline Dean Goldade

• Senior Black Belt
  • Blue Belt
  • Train hard & enjoy the ride!!!!
    • Goldade Kajukenbo Ohana
where at in texas?

June 27
Sherman, TX
SDMS / Stick / Baton seminar

Hosted by Texoma Martial Arts
115 South Harrison, Sherman, Texas 75090. Telephone: 903-814-9966
www.texomamaa.com

I will be there.
Student of the arts
www.austinkaju.com

Offline kajukine2

• Senior Black Belt
  • Yellow Belt
    • Estellermma.com
Ill be in Hawaii........:-)
Ron Esteller Life long student of GM James Juarez...1968-Present

Board Member KAA
Board of Advisors, Pacific Jujitsu Alliance. DZR JJ
Black shirt Pedoy Escrima Derobio under
GM Melcor Chavez
Black Belt instructor in CQC, Knife/Counter Knife, Impact Weapon Combatives  under Hock W. Hockheeim

Offline Dean Goldade

• Senior Black Belt
  • Blue Belt
Ill be in Hawaii........:-)

Sure.... Rub it in..
I still plan to be at yours in Sept too bro...  ;)

Have fun in Hawaii.....
Student of the arts
www.austinkaju.com

Offline psyon82

• White Belt
Hello all,

I began studying Kajukenbo in February of this year (love it so far! ;D), and since I have PLENTY of free time to practice and train, I was thinking about adding another martial art to supplement my training. I currently train Kajukenbo 3 days a week, and I was planning to add Kenpo on the other 2 days (rest on weekends). My questions are this: 1. Is it too early to start another art? 2. Can one learn the 2 simultaneously, or are the arts so similar that it would cause confusion? I'm able to multi-task well and keep a notebook to write down everything I learn, so I personally think I will be able to handle them both. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Side note: I'm testing for purple on Monday, wish me luck!  :D

Ben
Sibak Ben Mickens
1st Degree BB in Kajukenbo
Under Sigung Steve Watson (GM Abad lineage)

C-Kaju Dog

Why are you training?  What is your goal and what do you want/expect to get out of the arts? How old are you?  What, if any physical limitations do you have?

The above questions will better help us, help you.  Also, who is your teacher and have you ran your questions by him.her?

PS
Welcome to the Cafe.  Your one stop source for Kajukenbo info!

V/r,
Dean :)

Offline psyon82

• White Belt
Thank you for your response Dean. I guess I should've added a little more background on myself.

I've always had a passion to learn martial arts since I was little. My dad practiced Aikido in his day and began "sparring" with me when I was around age 6. My first formal lessons began around age 12 when I studied Tae Kwon Do. I made it to green belt before we had to move. I didn't pick up training again till around the age of 19 when I studied Wing Tsun for about a year. After that I pursued training in "MMA" for several months but had to take a break due to school/work time constraints. I'm currently 26 years old, and I have decided to pursue martial arts full-force. Fortunately, I'm not working, not in school, and have no family to take care of (I'm on disability for bipolar), so I have plenty of time to dedicate to training.

I am training because: 1. I've never been in a fight, and I want to be ready should the occasion unfortunately arise. 2. I hope to open my own school someday.

My goals are to: 1. Increase my self-confidence 2. Gain a greater sense of self-respect and respect for others 3. Get in better shape 4. Learn how to control my fear/anger in a confrontation

I don't have any physical limitations.

My Kajukenbo instructor is Sigung Steve Watson, and I have not run it by him yet. However, I don't foresee it being a problem, for another student cross-trained in Krav Maga.

My Kenpo instructor will be Sifu Gary Swan. I talked to him about it during my first introductory lesson, and he said, "If a hunter chases two rabbits, he'll catch neither, but you can try it to see if it works for you." So I figured I'd go ahead and give it a try.

Thank you,

Ben
Sibak Ben Mickens
1st Degree BB in Kajukenbo
Under Sigung Steve Watson (GM Abad lineage)

Offline Danjo

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • Kajukenbo Forever!
Thank you for your response Dean. I guess I should've added a little more background on myself.

I've always had a passion to learn martial arts since I was little. My dad practiced Aikido in his day and began "sparring" with me when I was around age 6. My first formal lessons began around age 12 when I studied Tae Kwon Do. I made it to green belt before we had to move. I didn't pick up training again till around the age of 19 when I studied Wing Tsun for about a year. After that I pursued training in "MMA" for several months but had to take a break due to school/work time constraints. I'm currently 26 years old, and I have decided to pursue martial arts full-force. Fortunately, I'm not working, not in school, and have no family to take care of (I'm on disability for bipolar), so I have plenty of time to dedicate to training.

I am training because: 1. I've never been in a fight, and I want to be ready should the occasion unfortunately arise. 2. I hope to open my own school someday.

My goals are to: 1. Increase my self-confidence 2. Gain a greater sense of self-respect and respect for others 3. Get in better shape 4. Learn how to control my fear/anger in a confrontation

I don't have any physical limitations.

My Kajukenbo instructor is Sigung Steve Watson, and I have not run it by him yet. However, I don't foresee it being a problem, for another student cross-trained in Krav Maga.

My Kenpo instructor will be Sifu Gary Swan. I talked to him about it during my first introductory lesson, and he said, "If a hunter chases two rabbits, he'll catch neither, but you can try it to see if it works for you." So I figured I'd go ahead and give it a try.

Thank you,

Ben

First: Run it by your instructor.

Second: Kajukenbo is a pretty involved art that you might want to devote exclusive time to for a while before adding more into the mix.

Good luck.
"Rank Without Honor is Nothing."
Dan Weston
3rd Degree Black Belt under Prof. Bishop
FMAA
Don't tell me how much you honor Sijo, if you don't respect his wishes.

Offline Twin Fist

• White Belt
get your black belt FIRST

then worry about added something to supplement your training.

2 reasons:

1- untill you have a SOLID base in your art (BB level at least) you WILL subconciously blend them together. That can cause you problems in BOTH arts. I have strong Kenpo and very strong TKD training, and I am still finding it hard not to let TKD into my Kaju training

2-  untill you have a solid base (BB at least) you wont know which art will compliment your training. For example, doing kaju AND kenpo might be redundant, since kaju is based in large part on kenpo.

cross training, when done at all, should be done to compliment your first art. To fill in gaps.
John Tygart<br />KSDS Kajukembo<br />Under Sigung Burt Vickers

sleddog

The real question is, "If you find that they are both so strong, why would you want to keep them separate?"

We often find ourselves studying other arts to make up for our (real or imagined)shortcomings. Do you not blend them with what you already know? If not, why are you studying them?

Just curious.

Offline Dean Goldade

• Senior Black Belt
  • Blue Belt
The real question is, "If you find that they are both so strong, why would you want to keep them separate?"

We often find ourselves studying other arts to make up for our (real or imagined)shortcomings. Do you not blend them with what you already know? If not, why are you studying them?

Just curious.

Excellent point GM.
Cross training helps to fill in gaps in your overall arsenal of skill. I like to look at my training model in terms of "width" and "depth".

The main areas I focus on are
 - standup fighting long to medium range
 - close quarter fighting & grappling
 - ground fighting / grappling
 - weapons skill in all ranges.

That makes up the "width" of what I do, then it is up to me to build the "depth" of my knowledge. I cross train in things that I feel help me with the above skills and add them to my existing arsenal.

In reality we need to be able to seamlessly blend and flow between the ranges of fighting as the fight dictates.. No time for style, or trying to figure out where what we do comes from.... Cross train to have the knowledge on tap when you need it, not to be able to catalog where everything came from.

My .02 cents.

Student of the arts
www.austinkaju.com