Author Topic: Self Defense Aerobics  (Read 5053 times)

TODD

Self Defense Aerobics
« on: October 28, 2003, 08:08:34 AM »
Self Defense Fitness Class-Get a cardio workout and learn self-defense moves!
This is what my local community center is advertising.  Last year one of my instructor's former students was doing some aerobic type of class.  He did not word it like this so I had no problem with it.  This guy made it to purple maybe blue but I doubt it, before he dropped out.  If this is the same guy and he is using the Kajukenbo name I will light his fire directly and publically.  But my question is how do you feel about this?  I see it as false advertising and giving someone fake confidence whom may fight instead of walk away.  I do not have a problem with aerobics of this nature as long as it is not advertised as self-defense and the students are fully aware that what they are doing is aerobic only.  I will stop by the center today before work and ask a few questions, and see if they have any literature on this program.

Kempo-Sensei

Re:Self Defense Aerobics
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2003, 08:28:11 AM »
This sounds just like Tae Bo.  Certainly it isn't Kajukenbo so hopefully he's not using that.  But if he's simply running a class in which you get a workout by kicking, punching and blocking... well, if Billy Blanks can do it.....

Offline badsifu

• restricted
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2003, 10:02:11 AM »
I guess it depends on how the class is taught.  I have been teaching an "Aerobic Kick Boxing" class for about 7 years.  The students who take this course know it isn't as hands on as the Kaju classes we teach.  However, the techniques we do in the aerobics classes are the same elbow, knee, palms, punches, and kicking strikes that we do in any other martial art class.  We use heavy bags instead of people to work our techniques on.  Focus targets, speed bag, and double end ball for accuracy training.  Partner drills to work movement, positioning, and reaction time.  Our emphasis on safety, proper technique, realistic combinations for street encounters, and an all around kick butt workout make it a very dynamic class.

I suppose if you are up dancing in a mirror throwing kicks and punches, then it would be best to stay inside after dark.  However, something to remember is that some people don't have the courage in the beginning to start a traditional martial arts class.  Maybe by taking this aerobic class that you mentioned, they will become more interested and actually enroll in the hands on program.
Dan Tyrrell

Offline Chief Instructor

• Moderators
  • Brown Belt
    • Hokkien Martial Arts
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2003, 10:27:10 AM »
I agree that throwing punches and kicks in the air is not the same as a real martial arts class. However, there's one thing we must keep in mind and I always tell this to my students- the best form of self-defense is running. If nothing else, students in this class will be in good enough shape to run fast.
Sigung Andrew Evans, KSDI #888
Hokkien Martial Arts, Topeka, KS
http://www.TopekaKarate.com

TODD

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2003, 11:29:24 AM »
I talked to the community center dir. and was informed it is not the same guy as last year.  This guy is TKD not one of my instructor's former purple belts.  I agree that aerobics like Billy Blanks has its purpose, fitness,basics.  I agree that it can be constructive.  But advertising self defense and not following through to unsuspecting students is very questionable.  This guy from what I'm told will teach self defense if asked.  Bottom line is aerobics is aerobics, giving students a false sense of confidence can lead disasterous if a real threat presents itself.  In my opinion, prospective students need to be fully informed what exactly their getting into.  By no means am I anti-aerobic kickboxing.  But I am against calling aerobics self defense and using the Kajukenbo name without providing actual Kajukenbo by a qualified instructor....which fortunately is not going to happen in my neck of the woods.  i'm thankfull for my false alarm ;)  

Offline Mell

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • www.watchthelamb.com
    • Watch the Lamb Ministries
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2003, 07:58:24 PM »
Sad truth is that I have taken several calls at the school from women looking for kickboxing classes to join who actually think, after talking to them, that aerobic kickboxing is martial arts.  

Have you ever watched the people on the Tae Bo tapes? (I have them and I think they are kind of fun to work with strictly for that aerobic side of things)  However, if some of those people actually tried to punch or kick a human being with their hand/feet posture, they could break something.  Kicking/punching the air is totally different than hitting something real.

I have never taken a kickboxing class like the one BadSifu described.  Glad to hear that you are at least using equipment to demonstrate proper striking, however, it is likely that your approach is unusual.
Sibak Mellody Porter
ANDERSON MARTIAL ARTS - Grafton, Ohio
www.ohiokajukenbo.com
www.watchthelamb.com

Offline Gints Klimanis

• Moderators
  • Black Belt
    • Gentlemen's Fighting Club
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2003, 10:14:21 PM »
>However, if some of those people actually tried to >punch or kick a human being with their hand/feet >posture, they could break something.  

Honestly, I don't see much of a conceptual difference between Tae Bo and the initial or intermediate phases of many "controlled" or non contact martial arts classes.   The students practice punching/kicking the air in unison.  The instructor barks out instructions.  This is nearly identical to the format used to teach beginner students.  The major difference is that music has been added, and the uniform has been removed.
"We do not condone the use of a toilet seat as a deadly weapon"
Go Shin Jutsu Kenpo, 3rd Degree Black Belt Prof. Richard Lewis
Bono JKD/Kajukenbo, Prof. John Bono, San Jose, CA
Baltic Dog, Dog Brothers Martial Arts

Offline John Bishop

• Senior Black Belt
  • Black Belt
  • Seek Knowledge, Not Rank
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2003, 05:11:28 PM »
When the "Cardio Karate", "Aerobic Kickboxing " craze started some years ago I was teaching my classes at a YMCA.  So, one day the aerobics instructor there came to class and asked if she could watch because she wanted some drills to add to the new aerobic kickboxing classes she was going to be teaching.  
So I asked her how long she had been doing the aerobic kickboxing.  She said that she hasn't done it yet, but the instructors were going to come to the Y on saturday and certify her after a couple hour class.  
I told her that she really had to be careful in teaching people how to kick, because of possibilities of knee and joint injuries from hyperextension, and inproper pivoting.  Well anyway she wrote down some notes on what we were doing, got certified, blew her knee out, and had knee surgery all in the first month.  I guess this karate stuff is a little harder than it looks ;)      
John Bishop  8th Degree-Original Method 
Under Grandmaster Gary Forbach
K.S.D.I. # 478, FMAA

"You watch, once I'm gone, all the snakes will start popping their heads up!"  Sijo Emperado

Offline Gints Klimanis

• Moderators
  • Black Belt
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2003, 05:17:25 PM »
At least Tae-Bo is more manly than other aerobics.
Have you ever seen the inner or outer thigh exercises?
There is no reason a man should by lying on his back with feet sticking in the air and dropping them downward, or lying on his side on the floor lifting his knee in the air like a dog.  I mean, that's just wrong.

Offline Chief Instructor

• Moderators
  • Brown Belt
    • Hokkien Martial Arts
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2003, 09:08:22 PM »
I also notice that part of the marketing pitch for Tae-Bo and other aerobic kickboxing classes imply an enhancement of personal protection skills. To counter this, I suggest that a couple of us hang out in the parking lot at one of these classes and start mugging participants as they leave. Just kidding!
But seriously, a mugger would have more success from waiting outside an aerobic kickboxing class than from a Kajukenbo class.
Sigung Andrew Evans, KSDI #888
Hokkien Martial Arts, Topeka, KS
http://www.TopekaKarate.com

Offline badsifu

• restricted
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2003, 02:27:35 AM »
:):):):):):)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 12:00:30 PM by badsifu »
Dan Tyrrell

Offline Gints Klimanis

• Moderators
  • Black Belt
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2003, 04:28:10 AM »
>What is the ratio in your class?  It is because of Billy >Blanks I betcha

badsifu,

I think it is the opposite case.  I am wondering if Tae-Bo and cardio kickboxing are inhibiting women from trying established martial arts schools.   Since our club has a time slot after an aerobics class, my blood gets a chance to come to a boil as I watch the 20 minute segment on kickboxing while I run on the treadmill.

>BTW, has anyone tried the Charles Shaw $1.99 wine >from Trader Joes!?!  

My brother is a walking ad for this wine and shares your love for a delicious glass for under $1.  I'm not much of a wine drinker.  I'm into beer, especially Belgian Ales.

Offline badsifu

• restricted
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2003, 10:09:53 AM »
:):):):):):);)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 12:01:00 PM by badsifu »
Dan Tyrrell

Sigung_Pat

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2003, 11:43:25 PM »
Hey Son

Why not tell the group the story about "Kathy" -- one of your older female aerobic kickboxing students . . . .

Offline badsifu

• restricted
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2003, 01:11:23 AM »
:):):):):):)!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 12:01:40 PM by badsifu »
Dan Tyrrell