Author Topic: Training with the Karambit  (Read 13527 times)

Offline jon

• BlackBelt
  • White Belt
  • East Coast Kajukenbo Association
Training with the Karambit
« on: June 23, 2009, 03:37:31 PM »
Aloha Brothers

Just would like to hear some imput about training with the karambit.
Sigung John Fetzer
7th Degree Black/Red Belt
East Coast Kajukenbo Association
Under Guidance of Professor Frank Cariaga

Taiji Qin na under Grandmaster Ru

Professor/ 8th Dan Jujutsu
International Fedreration of Jujutsuans

Offline sifutimg

• Senior Black Belt
  • Blue Belt
  • Iron sharpens iron-so another man sharpens another
Re: Training with the Karambit
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 04:35:24 PM »
I like this weapon but as with any weapon there are trade offs.  Professor Bono on another post pointed out about range.  This weapon is ideal for close range combat.  It's more conducive for slashing/ripping/dragging motions.  Holding it in the palm and in a fist configuration with the finger inserted in the finger guard makes this weapon virtually impossible to disarm.  You can allow the weapon to spin such that the blade ends up on the top of the hand where it can be used to drag across someone’s body.  A draw back to the weapon is the time it takes to get your finger into the finger ring so this take a lot of practice depending on where you carry.  They make folder Karambits but again, getting your finger into the hole and then getting it open takes time.  The weapon overall though works well with speed & flowing circular motions directed where the limbs attach and around the neck and throat.  As mentioned in another post having the blade sharpened on both sides I think is important and if you find one with an implement off the finger ring there are benefits there for striking.  There different grips, blade point forward allows for fast slashing ripping motions.  Blade point reverse allows for awesome control techniques as you can really sink in the blade and use it to trap between the blade and your forearm.  Be care here though as if you have to long a blade you run the risk of cutting yourself.  You can hold the karambit where the blade comes out the top of your hand tip forward inserting your pinky (or not) into the finger ring.  This allows for very fast slashing ripping motions as well.  Then the last grip (that I know about) is what I mentioned above with the blade coming out the bottom of the hand then allowing it to spin to the top of your hand for dragging/ripping motions.  Also in this configuration you can spin it such that you can bop someone in the head with it.

I like practicing my forms/katas with a Karambit.  Also try using it along with your punch counters and grab arts.  It's certainly fun I think.  I included some pictures.  The first is one is a picture of one very similar I picked up from West Java Indonesia.  It's has the jagged barbs which rips apart things nicely.  The second picture is a long bladed Karambit I have that is fun however you have to be more cognizant of the longer blade.  Both sides are sharpened.  The third picture is the folder I have.  You have to practice whatever way you feel comfortable when you draw it, open it, and get your finger inserted.  Takes time. 

Don't claim to be an expert by any means and just sharing what I found out so far.  Get one and play.

Cheers,
Tim
Grandmaster Tim Gagnier
Student of Great Grandmaster Charles Gaylord & Grandmaster Sid Lopez
Chief Instructor Pacific Wind Kajukenbo
Student Forever
Yamhill, Oregon

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • "Accept the things to which fate binds you"
    • Bono's Jeet Kune Do and Kajukenbo
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 05:21:45 PM »
If the choice is made for you to be in knife combat, the farther from trapping range the better.  I like the curved blades, but slight and the other direction for surface area when drawing the blade.  If one of these is to be used in my opinion it would be secondary in the weak side hand to assist grabbing and trapping....
GM John E Bono DC
9th Degree Grand Master Gaylord Method Kajukenbo
Full Instructor-Hartsell's Jeet Kune Do Grappling Assoc
Chief Instructor Bono's Jeet Kune Do/Kajukenbo
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision

Offline steve B

• BlackBelt
  • Yellow Belt
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 07:23:13 PM »
I carry an Emerson Karambit folder from time to time.. Prof. Bono is right about the range, there's just really not much to it, it's definately a close in tool. My particular Karambit version has a small hook for an assisted open on the pants. I got to admit the first time I tried it fast the pocket of my Jeans got cut. Although there are plenty of drawbacks to this knife there seems to be a great intimidation factor that goes along with it. I'll have a non-martial arts buddy ask to see it occasionally and it's always the same reaction. Just about everybody thinks that this little thing is pure evil. (Of course this also might not look good in front of a jury).

Just my 2 cents
Steve Bramel
Black Belt/2nd Deg.
Heart Of Texas Kajukenbo
H-Town Branch

Offline Gints Klimanis

• Moderators
  • Black Belt
    • Gentlemen's Fighting Club
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 08:07:28 PM »
There is always a place for the specialized weapon, but it seems like the straight blades win. The ring grip reduces the chance of dropping but probably requires a second hand to drop it under stress.  The grip and enhances the tearing power of the tip at the expense of slicing. This blade is not idealized for a deep stab and probably requires a second hand on the target.  There is no doubt that this weapon feels cool, and enhances the coolness of its bearer.

Anyone else ...
"We do not condone the use of a toilet seat as a deadly weapon"
Go Shin Jutsu Kenpo, 3rd Degree Black Belt Prof. Richard Lewis
Bono JKD/Kajukenbo, Prof. John Bono, San Jose, CA
Baltic Dog, Dog Brothers Martial Arts

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 08:11:31 PM »
They do look cool, but if keen on the design the Civilian is much longer and more fierce.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 09:58:01 AM by KajuJKDFighter »
GM John E Bono DC
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision

Offline Britt

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 09:12:30 AM »
Ran across this interesting article from Ernest Emerson on the karambit for law enforcement; accoding to him, Federal Air Marshals use it as a backup weapon against gun grabs.

http://www.policemag.com/Articles/2006/06/The-Winning-Edge.aspx

Britt Lindsey
Black Belt I
Student of Prof. James E. Cox Abilene, TX

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 10:08:11 AM »
Seems the least likely thing I would do while someone is grabbing my knife is use oen of my hands to defend with an opposite side blade rather then keep my gun, once the gun is taken then it's back to bigger straighter blade is better....
GM John E Bono DC

C-Kaju Dog

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 11:47:57 AM »
I LOVE THIS BLADE!   

My Wife bought me one of these for a Valentine gift a few years ago.  I still carry it on a daily basis.  Great knife!

They do look cool, but if keen on the design the Civilian is much longer and more fierce.

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 12:41:41 PM »
I have the original one when it first came out with gray aluminum handles with kraton inserts....wild piece...
GM John E Bono DC

Offline Bautista's

• teaching since 1966
  • Senior Moderator
  • Brown Belt
  • you show me-I show you
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2009, 02:40:27 PM »
More for close range fighting, sneak attacks, carry mine most evey where I go except on an airplane then I feel naked.
EB
Emil Bautista
Kajukenbo black belt (1966)

Offline Lamont

• White Belt
    • Blackbird Training Group
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2009, 04:56:11 PM »
Ran across this interesting article from Ernest Emerson on the karambit for law enforcement; accoding to him, Federal Air Marshals use it as a backup weapon against gun grabs.

http://www.policemag.com/Articles/2006/06/The-Winning-Edge.aspx

I have talked with a couple of officers who recently graduated from FLETC, and one of them was carrying a weakside kerambit folder with an dremeled "wave" feature.  He has had not other training in knifework besides his time there, and so this gear choice was off advice received in FLETC, of which all graduates are rated as "air marshals" in addition to their other duties.

I'll certainly acknowledge how capable the blade is for its specialization, but I prefer a straight blade.
Lamont Glass
Kenpo Karate- 3rd black
Pekiti-Tirsia Kali - Guro
And at one time, a very great while ago, a blue in Kajukenbo.

"Detached reflection cannot be expected in the presence of an upraised knife."
   ~Oliver Wendall Holmes

Offline gabrielnanpai

• White Belt
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2009, 08:11:57 AM »
Hello. soy de buenos aires, argentina and here some time ago that was taught kerambit (karambit) and if we add an art and techniques of catch levers (like the chin-na or Hapkido) are two basic models (pictures) and seminars can take any person knows martial arts or not, in my country there is no law that prohibits the carrying of weapons in court, as many take some self defense and excuse my English is very, very bad :-\ ... thanks ;)
Gabriel Agustin Buenos Aires Argentina
qualified instructor en shaolin chong ho student of master wu Shang tin
2° dan en okinawa shorin ryu karate y kobudo
instructor en tao ton pai kempo chino