Author Topic: your black belt test.....  (Read 3986 times)

Offline duane navarro

• White Belt
your black belt test.....
« on: September 16, 2009, 11:23:45 AM »
Hello to all ohana, I was wondering if anyone had any cool stories of thier black belt test. I.E. how you prepared, how long it lasted. How intense, what you came away with, especially the professors and GM"s out there. Also how do the other dojos do thier testing, I know my dojo (its funny to say that because sometimes we do things a little different at GM Powells MMA Academy  ;) ) For example my BB test is in november and out of respect for Sijo, KAJUKENBO, and Sibak Matt Powell who I will be his first BB, I am going to test in Full GHI even though I dont have too.....

with Honor and respect to all,
                                                                                                 Duane Navarro
Duane Navarro "Black belt" under GM Mitch Powell Original Method

Offline duane navarro

• White Belt
Re: your black belt test.....
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 11:51:41 AM »
OK, how about any belt test, I remember when I tested for brown thier were som pretty high ranking BB there and I went outside to practice up all my knowledge and when I went in I was ready and GM Powell told me to come up and I thought I was gonna start my testing and he told me to do a 4 punch combo and MAN I JUST FROZE! I was so occupied with doing my knowledge I forgot something I learned the first WEEK! LOL I think he did that on purpose  ;D

Offline kajukine2

• Senior Black Belt
  • Yellow Belt
    • Estellermma.com
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 04:51:45 PM »
I mostly remember the A$$ whoopin i got! after 7 hrs of a Juarez test
(the first by the way, everybody after got an idea what to expect, I had no idea)

the last of the multiple attackers were three of my fellow brown belt brothers
Jeff Ortzo... who later fought for a muay thai world title, coached by GM Melcor Chavez N.M

Frank Miller AKA Phyco Frank...
Army Ranger Combat Vet...PTSD and all.... he didnt get the name Phyco Frank for nothing...lol

Robbie Colson A good little fighter

those three tested my mind, body, and mostly spirit....
Ron Esteller Life long student of GM James Juarez...1968-Present

Board Member KAA
Board of Advisors, Pacific Jujitsu Alliance. DZR JJ
Black shirt Pedoy Escrima Derobio under
GM Melcor Chavez
Black Belt instructor in CQC, Knife/Counter Knife, Impact Weapon Combatives  under Hock W. Hockheeim

Offline Danjo

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • Kajukenbo Forever!
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 05:48:00 PM »
Nerves, exhaustion, soreness. And then it got worse when the test finally started.

Hope that helps.
"Rank Without Honor is Nothing."
Dan Weston
3rd Degree Black Belt under Prof. Bishop
FMAA
Don't tell me how much you honor Sijo, if you don't respect his wishes.

Offline duane navarro

• White Belt
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 11:17:03 AM »
Oh the nerves... not my best friend. My hardest thing is to calm my nerves when i demonstrate my knowledge, and it doesnt matter if I am testing by myself or a full room. Sometimes I would rather just take multiple attackers for the whole test. LOL I am definitly better at fighting than forms. i have a question, when did the fighting after belt testing first get started or was that always a part of testing?

P.S. My knowledge is pretty good to thanks to Matt and that other guy  ;)

Offline Danjo

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • Kajukenbo Forever!
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 11:47:20 AM »
We did Bull in the Ring for mine as part of it. It was at the end after everything else. I fought five guys at once.
Dan Weston
FMAA

Offline duane navarro

• White Belt
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 01:23:23 PM »
From what I have seen with my brothers getting thier Black belts it was stand-up for 2 min  kickboxing for 2 min with a certain GM  :o 2 min MMA then 3on1 for a minute I believe. Who knows really they like to change it up............GOOD TIMES!

Offline Danjo

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • Kajukenbo Forever!
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 03:08:45 PM »
Yep. Everyone does it a bit differently. Just count on it being grueling.
Dan Weston
FMAA

Offline kfarny

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 07:36:40 PM »
But the high point in all of my testing was at Brown.
I was uke for my friend Ed, who was testing for 1st Degree. After a few minutes of being slammed to the ground (like a good uke), my Sifu came over and whispered into my ear, "The next time he takes you to the ground and bends over you. . . .KEEP HIM THERE."
This was the board that I was also testing in front of and I was quite nervous. It consisted of my Sifu, a visiting Sigung and my Jiu Jitsu instructor. (I had just started BJJ and had just tested for my first stripe.)
I'm 5'10" about 220. Ed is 6'3" and in fantastic shape.
When he took me to the ground the next time, I reached up, grabbed his Gi collar and drug him to the ground. Annnnnnd it was ON!
We rolled for about a minute, I got him in the guard, then in side control and then, BAM! I put him in a sweet armbar and made him tap.
In front of my Sifu........in front of a Sigung who I respect very much...... and in front of my BJJ instructor, who was hoping that he could demonstrate his students ground work abilities at some point. He was standing behind Sigung, pumping his fist in the air. It got a rousing cheer from the audience and made the beating that Ed gave me in sparring later all worth it.
Those tests are different for everyone. At least at our school. No two are the same and no two people are treated the same. The 40 year old will not be asked to do some of the same things the 19 year old will.
My Sifu tries to explore the strengths and weaknesses of each individual. He will allow you to demonstrate something you are good at, but then he will challenge you when you are at your most tired by having you do something you both know you are not that confident about. Just to see how you handle it when you are drained.
I found that the hardest part of the test was the anticipation of the test itself. When I stepped onto the mat, it all dissolved away because I was ready, I just was not REALLY sure until I stepped out there.
How long was it? Long enough.
How tired was I? I was 43. Plenty tired.

A hard warm up for 20 minutes followed by forms and self defense. When you were not on the floor, you were off to the side doing 1 of 2 predetermined forms continuously, with more calisthenics mixed in whenever the need suited them. Weapons sparring, followed by several minutes of 6 on 1, then Bull in the Ring several times, then Aadvancing, retreating and stationary line drills. Then 15 rounds of sparring (against BB and above only).
Then Advanced Breathing (our longest form), then Tai Chi.

About 4-1/2 continuous hours. Then the presentation.

Sure was nice when it was over. Sure am glad I don't have to do it again.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 07:39:53 PM by kfarny »
Kirk Farnsworth   3rd Degree,  East/West Method Tum Pai
East West Martial Arts, Master Doug Bertrand
Vancouver, Wa.

Offline Patrick Campbell

• Sifu
  • BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • Train the way you fight!
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 07:42:20 PM »
But the high point in all of my testing was at Brown.
I was uke for my friend Ed, who was testing for 1st Degree. After a few minutes of being slammed to the ground (like a good uke), my Sifu came over and whispered into my ear, "The next time he takes you to the ground and bends over you. . . .KEEP HIM THERE."
This was the board that I was also testing in front of and I was quite nervous. It consisted of my Sifu, a visiting Sigung and my Jiu Jitsu instructor. (I had just started BJJ and had just tested for my first stripe.)
I'm 5'10" about 220. Ed is 6'3" and in fantastic shape.
When he took me to the ground the next time, I reached up, grabbed his Gi collar and drug him to the ground. Annnnnnd it was ON!
We rolled for about a minute, I got him in the guard, then in side control and then, BAM! I put him in a sweet armbar and made him tap.
In front of my Sifu........in front of a Sigung who I respect very much...... and in front of my BJJ instructor, who was hoping that he could demonstrate his students ground work abilities at some point. He was standing behind Sigung, pumping his fist in the air. It got a rousing cheer from the audience and made the beating that Ed gave me in sparring later all worth it.
Those tests are different for everyone. At least at our school. No two are the same and no two people are treated the same. The 40 year old will not be asked to do some of the same things the 19 year old will.
My Sifu tries to explore the strengths and weaknesses of each individual. He will allow you to demonstrate something you are good at, but then he will challenge you when you are at your most tired by having you do something you both know you are not that confident about. Just to see how you handle it when you are drained.
I found that the hardest part of the test was the anticipation of the test itself. When I stepped onto the mat, it all dissolved away because I was ready, I just was not REALLY sure until I stepped out there.
How long was it? Long enough.
How tired was I? I was 43. Plenty tired.

A hard warm up for 20 minutes followed by forms and self defense. When you were not on the floor, you were off to the side doing 1 of 2 predetermined forms continuously, with more calisthenics mixed in whenever the need suited them. Weapons sparring, followed by several minutes of 6 on 1, then Bull in the Ring several times, then Aadvancing, retreating and stationary line drills. Then 15 rounds of sparring (against BB and above only).
Then Advanced Breathing (our longest form), then Tai Chi.

About 4-1/2 continuous hours. Then the presentation.

Sure was nice when it was over. Sure am glad I don't have to do it again.

Great memory I am sure and a great story as well. Thanks for sharing.

pat
Patrick "Kaponookalani" Campbell, Ph.D.
KAJUKENBO - Professor Kai Li - ETS / HKA
Kenpo - SGM Rick Alemany 
DZR Jujitsu - ETS / AJI
BJJ - ETS / USFBJJ / Master Joe Moreira
Combat Sambo - ETS / GCA / GM Alan New 
JKD / Kun Tao - ETS / IMB / G. Savelli
Royal Hawaiian Lua - ETS PA / Olohe Eli

Offline duane navarro

• White Belt
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2009, 09:36:44 AM »
thats awesome, KFARNEY just what I was getting at cool stories to be told..... I thik my best belt test was from blue to green, my halfway point. That is when i really started to find out that I can do this and it started coming together for me as far as understanding the KAJ concepts that GM Powell was teaching. I also started seeing other people drop out for various reasons and I found myself training harder. After that test was the first of fighting and thats when I found out about this thing called CARDIO  :P

Offline Hook

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2009, 10:56:04 AM »
I remember pain, sweat, and being really tired afterward. Lots of combinations, different things thrown in, having to perform katas perfectly. Sparring ... repeatedly. Oh yeah, did I mention pain, sweat and being really tired afterward ?
Sibak Raymond Hook