Author Topic: Kajukenbo's Future  (Read 56788 times)

Offline Ron Baker

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
Kajukenbo's Future
« on: November 21, 2010, 05:42:17 PM »
Having communicated with several Kajukenboists over the past several months, it's clear that there is not only a hunger and a thirst for a new direction, but a sense of urgency.  I include myself among that group of individuals; men and women who have no further use for a handful of people's futile efforts to obsessively revisit and re-write history, and keep us living in the past.  

What is also clear is that the Kajukenbo Cafe is turning out not to be the vehicle or the medium where we who are serious about Kajukenbo's future can freely exchange ideas, advocate and put in place innovations for the future.  Like other martial arts that pay attention to and take steps to propagate their future, Kajukenbo deserves no less.  

A first step to securing our future is commitment -- beyond just throwing around words like loyalty or honor or unity -- personal commitment to actively participate in the future of the art that has given so much to us.  Another step is communication.  Some kind of e-mail listserve would be a great start.  A website would be equally important, but not for "happy birthdays" or griping about someone's promotion/lineage, or kissing okole.  But a site related ONLY to improving Kajukenbo's present and solidifying its future through action -- not talk.  And definitely not a cheap alternative to the Cafe (or any other Kajukenbo-related site).  

I'm sure that there are folks who have an unused domain name that they would donate.  I have one as well, and would be glad to do so.  I'm not very good at designing a website, but am sure there?s someone out there who is.  Not for me; not for a bunch of whiners or malcontents, but for the future of our art.

Good ideas can certainly be put in place, but we first have to communicate in order to collaborate.  This means not only those of us who teach, but those of us who are Kaju students as well as Kaju elders.  No egos; no campaigning for personal recognition.  Just coming up with a way forward.

For those so inclined, I humbly ask that you please express your interest whether it's by post or via PM.  Please also feel free to send a confidential e-mail.  Your privacy will be highly respected.  

Let's move Kajukenbo forward and stop living in the past.

Mahalo.

Ron Baker
e-mail: ron@tma-connection.com

« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 08:11:41 PM by backfist »
Sigung (Shihan) Ron Baker
Kajukenbo 5280 MMA Foundation
Under GM Jason Groff
Ordonez Kajukenbo Ohana

Offline kfarny

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
Re: Kajukenbo's Future
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 07:11:25 PM »
Perhaps we can have a new section here, Sifu,  with you as moderator?
Also a vote system for topic relavence?
I would vote for that.
Kirk Farnsworth   3rd Degree,  East/West Method Tum Pai
East West Martial Arts, Master Doug Bertrand
Vancouver, Wa.

Offline Ron Baker

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 08:09:44 PM »
Perhaps we can have a new section here, Sifu,  with you as moderator?
Also a vote system for topic relavence?
I would vote for that.

Aloha Kirk:

That's a good idea.  However, a new section was requested some time ago, and there didn't appear to be any interest. 
Under GM Jason Groff
Ordonez Kajukenbo Ohana

Offline Danjo

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • Kajukenbo Forever!
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 09:15:24 PM »
Having communicated with several Kajukenboists over the past several months, it's clear that there is not only a hunger and a thirst for a new direction, but a sense of urgency.  I include myself among that group of individuals; men and women who have no further use for a handful of people's futile efforts to obsessively revisit and re-write history, and keep us living in the past.  

What is also clear is that the Kajukenbo Cafe is turning out not to be the vehicle or the medium where we who are serious about Kajukenbo's future can freely exchange ideas, advocate and put in place innovations for the future.  Like other martial arts that pay attention to and take steps to propagate their future, Kajukenbo deserves no less.  

A first step to securing our future is commitment -- beyond just throwing around words like loyalty or honor or unity -- personal commitment to actively participate in the future of the art that has given so much to us.  Another step is communication.  Some kind of e-mail listserve would be a great start.  A website would be equally important, but not for "happy birthdays" or griping about someone's promotion/lineage, or kissing okole.  But a site related ONLY to improving Kajukenbo's present and solidifying its future through action -- not talk.  And definitely not a cheap alternative to the Cafe (or any other Kajukenbo-related site).  

I'm sure that there are folks who have an unused domain name that they would donate.  I have one as well, and would be glad to do so.  I'm not very good at designing a website, but am sure there?s someone out there who is.  Not for me; not for a bunch of whiners or malcontents, but for the future of our art.

Good ideas can certainly be put in place, but we first have to communicate in order to collaborate.  This means not only those of us who teach, but those of us who are Kaju students as well as Kaju elders.  No egos; no campaigning for personal recognition.  Just coming up with a way forward.

For those so inclined, I humbly ask that you please express your interest whether it's by post or via PM.  Please also feel free to send a confidential e-mail.  Your privacy will be highly respected.  

Let's move Kajukenbo forward and stop living in the past.

Mahalo.

Ron Baker
e-mail: ron@tma-connection.com

Whenever I hear people throw around terms like "Future" it seems that what they are really trying to say is that they don't like how things are and have been. What they seem to want is a sort of "utopia" that is brought about by a "revolution" where after this massive change has taken place, things will be paridise. Unfortunately, this never seems to work out as envisioned. People are people and will always have those same human tendencies creep into any new venture that poisoned the old one for them. Egos, hurt feelings, betrayals, disrespect etc. are always going to be with us. Creating a new forum will not solve things, but only fracture things further. It will not produce the utopia that you hope for nor will it eliminate the human factor that causes all of the problems that you find with the Cafe'. The Cafe' didn't spring into existence over night (as other forums have found out who have tried to break off and start their own revolution of "democracy and equality"). Kajukenbo is not a building that can be torn down and rebuilt or refurbished in some artificial manner. You can't build new stories on it like a skyscraper. Bulldozers and concrete pourers brought in to change the landscape like some kind of park are not the answer to the future of Kajukenbo.

It's a family that exists in the past, present and future all at the same time. The anscestors, elders, adults and children all occupy the same time and space. Like any family, they fight and disagree at times but they are still family. Leaving and starting your own venture will not improve the future of the family, it will only isolate you with the other malcontents away from the family in the name of the "Future". Meanwhile, the family goes on like it always has. Growing. Sometimes slowly, sometimes with a baby boom, but still growing and evolving and being nourished by the previous generations.
"Rank Without Honor is Nothing."
Dan Weston
3rd Degree Black Belt under Prof. Bishop
FMAA
Don't tell me how much you honor Sijo, if you don't respect his wishes.

Offline Ron Baker

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 09:25:57 PM »
Oh, OK.
Under GM Jason Groff
Ordonez Kajukenbo Ohana

Offline Danjo

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • Kajukenbo Forever!
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 11:18:44 PM »
I guess I should have included the phrase: "just sayin' brah" if I was gonna come off like a true know-it-all.
Dan Weston
FMAA

Offline kfarny

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 01:14:55 AM »
You are right Danjo. It is like a skyscraper. But, skyscrapers can be torn down and recycled into a million other thing that are totally unrelated to the original structure.
I don't think that anyone is talking about starting a new site. I took this as an appeal to create a multimedia "vault", where we can go to see submitted video clips (I know we have an area for that), photocopied documents and pictures. And my response was that perhaps the ability to vote on the appropriate nature of the submitted material would be a nice option.
And you are right. I don't like how things are. Whatever. That is my problem. Like it or leave I guess.
Here is one of the things that I have issue with. I never met Sijo. (Behold the shock.) I can count the number of people I know that met him without running out of fingers.  I don't know what he wanted. So, I have to take the word of others with regard to history, rank, wishes, organization, blah blah blah. And you know what? NOBODY seems to be able to agree with anybody else. There are a lot of people who claim to have known him very well. I am no one to dispute any of them.
I will NEVER be able to get the story directly from the source. That was left to others before me, and I have to say that with few exceptions that I am able to source, it has been done poorly. I have done what research I can by using this site, Professor Bishops book, youtube, various other sites (some aren't held in very high regard here) and talked to the upper belts around me.  Physical proof works best for me. Professor Bishops video interview with Sijo is a stellar example.
Growing and evolving, yes. But also moving further and further away from the source. Pretty soon you realize that no matter how powerful your telescope is, you just can't quite see the big bang of creation. You know?
Kirk Farnsworth   3rd Degree,  East/West Method Tum Pai
East West Martial Arts, Master Doug Bertrand
Vancouver, Wa.

Offline Danjo

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • Kajukenbo Forever!
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 02:12:36 AM »
I get where you're coming from (even if I said it WASN'T like a skyscraper). I just don't think breaking off and declaring yourself the only ones who are truly serious about the future is going to work. Nor, IMO is it accurate.
Dan Weston
FMAA

Offline Ron Baker

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 07:10:23 AM »
Encouraging news: people--especially those of stature, tenure and high regard--are ALREADY responding to the call, and are offering themselves and their ideas for a future. 

Keep it coming!

Under GM Jason Groff
Ordonez Kajukenbo Ohana

Offline Patrick Campbell

• Sifu
  • BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • Train the way you fight!
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 07:27:42 AM »
Starting a thread with this subject is a personal manifestation of your desire to impact KAJUKENBO's future by impacting its present. The fact that each of us trains and teaches implies that (disregarding the end of the world as we know it) KAJUKENBO will continue to evolve. I wonder how many of the pioneers and GGMs and GMs and professors who have been a part of this Ohana for so long would have ever imagined where we would have evolved - good - bad - indifferent.

Pat
Patrick "Kaponookalani" Campbell, Ph.D.
KAJUKENBO - Professor Kai Li - ETS / HKA
Kenpo - SGM Rick Alemany 
DZR Jujitsu - ETS / AJI
BJJ - ETS / USFBJJ / Master Joe Moreira
Combat Sambo - ETS / GCA / GM Alan New 
JKD / Kun Tao - ETS / IMB / G. Savelli
Royal Hawaiian Lua - ETS PA / Olohe Eli

Offline Mitch Powell

• Senior Black Belt
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2010, 11:58:04 AM »
What we need is leadership and a clear direction. We have groups of leaders and lots of ideas. We also don't have universal standards, so a person wearing a black belt in one Kajukenbo school may not have half the knowledge or training as another.

I would love to see an elected board with the sole responsibility of leading Kajukenbo into the future. The BOA can oversee ranks, but the elected board would determine the direction of the art. I would love to see the four branches develop a standardized curriculum. The techniques and forms don't have to be the same--so no one will be telling you how it goes--but the numbers should be the same or similar. So if you are a black belt in a certain branch of Kajukenbo we know you have learned the same about of knowledge for that belt as another person in that branch. You can always have more, but at least have a minimum.

We should adopt a time in grade for promotions, so we know a 5th degree in any branch has at least 15 years of training, a professor 25, a grandmaster 35, and so forth.

We should have organized siminars for each branch that are set by the board to ensure we don't have seminars on the same day and that seminars are announced and open to all the schools.

Our annual gathering should be the place where higher belts are promoted, so all can see our current/future leadership.  

Each branch should have it's own elected board to represent that branch to the governing board and to handle issues like students breaking away from teachers and the common he said/she said issues.

THOUGHTS?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 12:17:52 PM by Mitch Powell »
Powell's MMA Academy (KSDI#549)
Grandmaster Mitch Powell (Emperado Method)
(707) 344-1655  coachmitchpowell@hotmail.com

Offline Danjo

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • Kajukenbo Forever!
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2010, 12:58:13 PM »
GM Mitch, I think that would be great. Now selling that to everyone might prove more difficult, but you've clearly put in a lot of thought into this. Very sensible!
Dan Weston
FMAA

Offline Ron Baker

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2010, 01:18:23 PM »
What we need is leadership and a clear direction. We have groups of leaders and lots of ideas. We also don't have universal standards, so a person wearing a black belt in one Kajukenbo school may not have half the knowledge or training as another.

I would love to see an elected board with the sole responsibility of leading Kajukenbo into the future. The BOA can oversee ranks, but the elected board would determine the direction of the art. I would love to see the four branches develop a standardized curriculum. The techniques and forms don't have to be the same--so no one will be telling you how it goes--but the numbers should be the same or similar. So if you are a black belt in a certain branch of Kajukenbo we know you have learned the same about of knowledge for that belt as another person in that branch. You can always have more, but at least have a minimum.

We should adopt a time in grade for promotions, so we know a 5th degree in any branch has at least 15 years of training, a professor 25, a grandmaster 35, and so forth.

We should have organized siminars for each branch that are set by the board to ensure we don't have seminars on the same day and that seminars are announced and open to all the schools.

Our annual gathering should be the place where higher belts are promoted, so all can see our current/future leadership.  

Each branch should have it's own elected board to represent that branch to the governing board and to handle issues like students breaking away from teachers and the common he said/she said issues.

THOUGHTS?

Amen and Hallelujah on all points, GM Mitch!

You just articulated what's been on the minds of hundreds -- maybe thousands.  And great ideas like these cannot be left to dust, but rather acted upon.  If nobody will create such an area here, I'm sure someone won't mind creating some kind of database for these proposals.

An elected board for matters other than 8th and 9th promotions is a MUST.  But since anything elective is sure to involve politics, it could get a little hairy but it can be done.  The good news is that those who are wed to the status quo, probably won't want anything to do with it.

As it relates to the composition of an elected board:  3 GMs, 3 Professors, 3 Unaffiliated (and at least 1 woman on the board); term limits; national representation.

Just my thoughts.
Under GM Jason Groff
Ordonez Kajukenbo Ohana

Offline TomBallinger

• White Belt
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2010, 10:36:33 AM »
I know that in my style of Kenpo we have a set number of techiniques you have to know, sets of katas, grappling drills etc for each rank, both above and below BB.  And there are time in Grade for each level of Black belt, you cant get a BB until after 16 years of age and you cant not get your 2nd until after your 18th birthday, you must be 35 to gain the 5th degree and must be a head instructor at a school. For ranks above the requirements exist but the only one I know for sure is that you have to 55 to get 8th or above and meet some other requirements.  And these are about the same requirments I have seen at a number of other schools and systems.

Hope that helps,

Tom
Tom
SanDan -- Gasan Ryu kenpo. (lineage: Pesare,Cerio, Chamberlain).

Offline Ron Baker

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2010, 12:33:16 PM »
I know that in my style of Kenpo we have a set number of techiniques you have to know, sets of katas, grappling drills etc for each rank, both above and below BB.  And there are time in Grade for each level of Black belt, you cant get a BB until after 16 years of age and you cant not get your 2nd until after your 18th birthday, you must be 35 to gain the 5th degree and must be a head instructor at a school. For ranks above the requirements exist but the only one I know for sure is that you have to 55 to get 8th or above and meet some other requirements.  And these are about the same requirments I have seen at a number of other schools and systems.

Hope that helps,

Tom

Thanks Tom.  I have an Excel database containing all future-related suggestions (no one asked me to do it -- just thought it might be useful later) and will consider adding your suggestion.  Would you categorize your suggestion under "Rank Requirements" or "Standardization" or something else?

But before I do, I might want to get a little guidance and wisdom from others as to whether or not they prefer to give priority to non-Kajukenbo thoughts and ideas.  Please don't be offended.

Thank you again for the thoughts.

Under GM Jason Groff
Ordonez Kajukenbo Ohana