Author Topic: Why weren't you there?  (Read 7128 times)

Offline John Bishop

• Senior Black Belt
  • Black Belt
  • Seek Knowledge, Not Rank
Re: Why weren't you there?
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2011, 01:20:36 PM »
I too was expecting a big showing because of all the Kajukenbo schools in the Bay area.  But from talking to a lot of people from So Cal, Az, and Nev., I had a feeling a lot of people from neighboring states would not be attending. 
A lot of people plan their family vacations around the event when it's in Las Vegas, and there's only so much money available now days for most people. 
There is talk that next years event will be in either L.A. or San Diego.  Both locations have many vacation opportunities for the whole family. 
We can't lose sight of the main reason for the event: for all Kajukenbo people to celebrate Sijo Emperado's birthday. The KSDI promotions are just secondary to this.  If your just going to the event for the promotions, your going for the wrong reason.

The Long Beach Internationals was the largest tournament in the world at one time.  Many Kenpo people and other Hawaiian stylists came to the tournament to visit and see Ed Parker.  Once he died, the tournament basically died.  It's still going on with a few old Kenpo people who want to continue the tradition and celebrate Parker's memory, but it's only a fraction of the size it once was.

When Sijo was alive, people came from all over the world to his tournament.  For some it would be their one and only opportunity to meet the founder of their system.  Now that he has passed, it is still a opportunity to keep his memory alive, and thank him for what he gave us.  He deserves the same respect and loyalty in death, as he was given in life. 
John Bishop  8th Degree-Original Method 
Under Grandmaster Gary Forbach
K.S.D.I. # 478, FMAA

"You watch, once I'm gone, all the snakes will start popping their heads up!"  Sijo Emperado

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2011, 08:45:56 PM »
Sigung Rob:

Wow, it would have been great to be there at Sijo's event especially in our own backyard. I'm sorry I missed it, I was overseas with my family.

I'm sorry to hear that the event was not as successful as anticipated. I would like to believe that for some it was due to it being a vacation time frame and not much to do in Northern Calif. or the economy both are valid reasons and very understandable.

From what I could gather in the past 5 years or so, I have seen a rapid change in personalities.  I'm said to say, I think we have grown so big that we have forgotten how we got here. We forgot the little things that made us the big Kahunas we are today.

I for one have bitten/ridden that ego train before and its fun for a little while, but it won't last. In my heart, those that are Real Kaju-always end up back where they started from.

Take care-Sigung Rob

Serene
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 10:12:17 PM by Serene »
Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

Offline Rick Kingi

• Senior Moderator
  • Blue Belt
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2011, 04:24:16 PM »
  I was asked by GM DeChi to host the tournament in southern California but I told her it would be better in Northern California becasue there is at least 10 schools up north to 1 in sourthern calif, I thought there was a good turn out of GM Masters and Professor there that have not been to a KSDI event in years and that was a good thing to me but yes the turnout was small and not sure why it turned out that way now she wants to go back to Las Vegas next years becasue it can be a vacation for a lot of people with there familys. There was unity there and I felt every one felt welcome no matter what branch you came from and that was the most important part of the tournament to see those that have not been around for a while and GM's talking to each other that was great...We should remember the only purpose of the tournament is to celebrate Sijo's brithday and honor what he created and to only spread Kajukenbo and keep it going..Hope next year we have a super turnout and a great seminar.

Much Respect
GM Rick Kingi