Author Topic: Kajukenbo's Future  (Read 57248 times)

Offline Claudio

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • Empty your mind
Re: Kajukenbo's Future
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2010, 07:27:02 PM »
If there were no such things as leaders we would not have titles so to say that the individual instructor is who LEADS the system is   incorrect to me. Everyone wants to do their own thing, that's ego, plain and simple.  I don't care how noble or eclectic or what type of "Master" you think you are.  You are only thinking about your little piece of the pie.  That's fine, have fun do your best and be the best you can be.  No one person necessarily needs to be led but we are talking about an organization "Kaju".  This is an organization not a club, or a focal group.  Let's get real and drop the politics, you see all these organizations outside of kajukenbo  and what has happened to them once the patriarch has passed.  Is that what you want for us as a whole.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 03:41:41 PM by claudio »
Prof. Claude "Claudio" Lawson III
Ronin Kombat Systems / American Kajukembo Assoc

Kajukembo/Kajukenbo(GM Davis)/ Brazilian Jiujitsu/Kick Boxing/ Practical Weapons/ JKD

Offline Ron Baker

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2010, 09:06:55 PM »
Elect whom you want. Those that want to join will. Those that don't, won't. and then we have one more organization that can govern it's own members and has no authority or power over the rest. The problem with this whole approach is that it is not enforceable outside of the particular organization. If it were, then we wouldn't have people giving out KSDI promotions without the BOA. If it can't be enforced, then what is it but just one more organization?

You have a point about opting out of governance.  But that just means that a smarter-than-average governing body will ensure that opting *in* will be worthwhile to the vast majority of people within Kajukenbo.  
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 09:52:07 PM by backfist »
Sigung (Shihan) Ron Baker
Kajukenbo 5280 MMA Foundation
Under GM Jason Groff
Ordonez Kajukenbo Ohana

Offline Danjo

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • Kajukenbo Forever!
« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2010, 10:36:07 PM »
Well, there you go. Who is to govern then? How are these "smarter than average" people to be determined? Where do you see yourself in all of this? Is it really only intelligence that will determine one's participation?
"Rank Without Honor is Nothing."
Dan Weston
3rd Degree Black Belt under Prof. Bishop
FMAA
Don't tell me how much you honor Sijo, if you don't respect his wishes.

Offline Mitch Powell

• Senior Black Belt
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2010, 12:09:35 AM »
Can you hear that? It's the sound of my head banging against the wall.
Powell's MMA Academy (KSDI#549)
Grandmaster Mitch Powell (Emperado Method)
(707) 344-1655  coachmitchpowell@hotmail.com

Offline KBOWARRIOR

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • Train strong to remain strong/keep the flame alive
« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2010, 12:52:29 AM »
Mine got tired along time ago.  As long as it doesn't affect what GM Harpers group is doing, let them try whatever they want.  We all have a good idea where we need to go so lets keep going and let them find out the hard way. 
Sifu Mark Wallace
Harper Kajukenbo
Visalia, California
Emperado Revised System

Offline Danjo

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • Kajukenbo Forever!
« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2010, 01:46:47 AM »
I should have had a few less shots before posting that last one. Oh well, I don't like deleting my posts cuz it just causes confusion to the readers. LOL. I think I know what I meant when I wrote it. My point is that new organizations tend to cause more problems than they solve. I think most of the various groups were formed with similar goals in mind and now we just have a lot of groups. Good luck. I've said my piece. We'll see what the future brings.
"Rank Without Honor is Nothing."
Dan Weston
3rd Degree Black Belt under Prof. Bishop
FMAA
Don't tell me how much you honor Sijo, if you don't respect his wishes.

Offline GM ALAN M. REYES

• SGMReyes
  • Senior Moderator
  • Blue Belt
« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2010, 02:49:46 AM »
The UKO would oversee Kajukenbo as a whole and the region or branch boards would oversee each groups individual development. Sijo put in place the BOA which would continue it's role of promoting 8th and 9th degrees. The Senior grandmaster George Kanana would be the head of the UKO, unless he elected to name a person to that position. 
Correct me if I'm wrong, I was under the impression that Kajukenbo has a leader in Senior Grandmaster George Kaanana, was he not put in place of leadership within the Kajukenbo System when Senior Grandmaster Joe Halbuna passed by Sijo himself, then by rank with Sijo gone, Senior Grandmaster Kaanana would be the Pro Tem Leader,,,SGM Kaanana is not just the head of the BOA or KSDI, but oversees Kaju itself. And as far as the UKO, WKO, and any other possible organizations representing Kaju, the thought is great, and the doing is harder, as everyone says until then, train hard at what you do.
WADR
GMReyes 
I'm not going to correct you, but WADR I think you're wrong in your approach.  Kajukenbo no longer needs a king or patriarch.  It needs a departure from revisionist history, generational squabbles, and the incessant game of "Sijo Said". 
GM Powell--and many, many others who have posted offline--are speaking of an elected body who have no agendas except providing a very BASIC organizational framework for the Kajukenbo system to move forward instead of constantly lurching backwards.  No restrictions on freedoms or innovation; no dojo police.  Again, simply moving things forward.  Yes, the devil would be in the details.  But at least get the ball rolling.  One thing's for sure:  a modern and forward-thinking governing should not be comprised of do-nothing figure heads.  Rather, the smarter and wiser and self-less among us.
WADR,
Ron
I understand, but shouldn't you still ask SGM KAANANA what on his mind, remember he not just  head of the BOA.,,and he is the head of an elected body,,,KAJUKENBO, by SIJO's wishes. until then best wishes and a Happy Thanksgiving!
WADR
GMReyes
SGM Alan M. Reyes
SrGrandMaster KSDI(2014)
GrandMaster KSDI(1999)
9th DegreeRed/SilverBelt KSDI(1986)
60Yrs.ContinuousTraining KSDI/ReyesKenpoKarate(2014)
FirstGenerationStudent/Successor-GGM Aleju C. Reyes-RKK CA(1959)
FirstGenerationStudent-GGM Sijo Adriano D. Emperado-Palama Settlement Hi(1954)

Offline Ron Baker

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2010, 08:48:42 AM »
I understand, but shouldn't you still ask SGM KAANANA what on his mind, remember he not just  head of the BOA.,,and he is the head of an elected body,,,KAJUKENBO, by SIJO's wishes. until then best wishes and a Happy Thanksgiving!
WADR
GMReyes

Yes.  He's a Kajukenbo elder.  And his thoughts and opinions are valid and important.
Under GM Jason Groff
Ordonez Kajukenbo Ohana

Offline kfarny

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2010, 10:57:10 AM »
aaaaaaaand there we go! Step one, complete.

Now for step two. Is SGM Kaanana a member of this far-reaching board? If not, can someone who knows him put him in touch?
Kirk Farnsworth   3rd Degree,  East/West Method Tum Pai
East West Martial Arts, Master Doug Bertrand
Vancouver, Wa.

Offline Gints Klimanis

• Moderators
  • Black Belt
    • Gentlemen's Fighting Club
« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2010, 03:49:21 PM »
I'm watching the ISKA championships "weapons" competition on TV and seeing perfectly-good athletes doing some sort of masculine gymnastics in a gi with Paul Mitchell hair product banners in the background.  A good start in a self-defense organization is to shed the pollution of performance art.  Any teacher that instructs their student to toss a katana in the air and catch it or do hand spring flips with rice sickles or even be seen in public with weapon-shaped implements of false destruction should be expelled.

EDIT:  I am guilty of fighting with really stupid stuff such as a toilet seat and even a picture frame in front of others.  So, perhaps I should be the first to go.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 04:56:54 PM by Gints Klimanis »
"We do not condone the use of a toilet seat as a deadly weapon"
Go Shin Jutsu Kenpo, 3rd Degree Black Belt Prof. Richard Lewis
Bono JKD/Kajukenbo, Prof. John Bono, San Jose, CA
Baltic Dog, Dog Brothers Martial Arts

Offline Ron Baker

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2010, 08:31:56 PM »
For those interested, there is an Excel spreadsheet of future-related ideas, suggestions, etc. I'm not sure if I can post a native document, but I can e-mail it to anyone interested.  It can also be sent in a PDF.

Ron
Under GM Jason Groff
Ordonez Kajukenbo Ohana

Offline kfarny

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2010, 09:09:07 PM »
Sifu,
That sounds very cool. I would be very interested in reading it.
Please send it to me, if you would.
Kirk Farnsworth   3rd Degree,  East/West Method Tum Pai
East West Martial Arts, Master Doug Bertrand
Vancouver, Wa.

Offline John Bishop

• Senior Black Belt
  • Black Belt
  • Seek Knowledge, Not Rank
« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2010, 11:20:12 PM »
Previous statement from SGM Kaanana:

"I will never be alone in any meeting from this day on, I will have either SiGung Kailani Koa or SiGung Aiau Koa & Sifu Donald which is SiGung Aiau Koa Black Belt.  They are my ohana and made an agreement with my daughter that one of these person will appear with me.  I am getting older and my health is so so, but my daughter will not let me attend any meetting without the above people with me.  My health is the most important thing with my daughter and she doesn't want me to deal with any Politics, Pili'kia or drama's with anyone.  My job as the head of Sijo's K.S.D. I. Board is to promote 8th & 9th degree and that is it.  

you can give any information to SiGung Kailani Koa only if it has to do with promotion.  If anything else that doesn't concern me then I don't need to know.
"
John Bishop  8th Degree-Original Method 
Under Grandmaster Gary Forbach
K.S.D.I. # 478, FMAA

"You watch, once I'm gone, all the snakes will start popping their heads up!"  Sijo Emperado

Offline Mitch Powell

• Senior Black Belt
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2010, 12:26:58 AM »
Thank you Prof. John for posting that info regarding SGM Kaanana. I suggested SGM Kaanana would head the elected board or appoint a successor given his position as SGM, but it sounds like he has already definded his role with the BOA and may not be interested in any thing else. God bless him, I hope he feels better. He is a very nice man.

We do have the ability to elected a governing board to over see the development of Kajukenbo. I believe it was the 1960s when law enforcement agencies around California sat down and decided police officers throughout the state should have the same training and proficiency requirements from agency to agency. They formed the Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST). Not all departments got on board. Some said "No one is going to tell us what we can teach our officers or what kind of training they need." Over time POST developed standards and training for not only police officers, but supervisors and commanders and most of those who didn't want to get on board changed their minds when the saw the benefits all the other agencies received. Today, nearly every police agency in the state follows POST requirments and procedures.

Yes, we have created many organizations over the years. Usually because someone got mad at someone else. What if we all just worked together for the greater good and didn't do this out of anger. (Dan--now it's your turn to bang your head against the wall) Call me a dreamer! We have great leaders. We just don't have a management mindset. Yes, we can all just do our best and continue to do what we do and there's nothing wrong with that, but I think we can do better.

Powell's MMA Academy (KSDI#549)
Grandmaster Mitch Powell (Emperado Method)
(707) 344-1655  coachmitchpowell@hotmail.com

Tim Vargas

« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2010, 12:32:50 AM »
Thank you Prof. Bishop, it looks like we have THE answer some of us were looking for, I to hope SGM George K. continues to do what makes him and his family happy, thats what its all about in the end.