Author Topic: Kajukenbo's Future  (Read 57200 times)

Offline GM ALAN M. REYES

• SGMReyes
  • Senior Moderator
  • Blue Belt
Re: Kajukenbo's Future
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2010, 03:15:08 AM »
The UKO would oversee Kajukenbo as a whole and the region or branch boards would oversee each groups individual development. Sijo put in place the BOA which would continue it's role of promoting 8th and 9th degrees. The Senior grandmaster George Kanana would be the head of the UKO, unless he elected to name a person to that position. 
Correct me if I'm wrong, I was under the impression that Kajukenbo has a leader in Senior Grandmaster George Kaanana, was he not put in place of leadership within the Kajukenbo System when Senior Grandmaster Joe Halbuna passed by Sijo himself, then by rank with Sijo gone, Senior Grandmaster Kaanana would be the Pro Tem Leader,,,SGM Kaanana is not just the head of the BOA or KSDI, but oversees Kaju itself. And as far as the UKO, WKO, and any other possible organizations representing Kaju, the thought is great, and the doing is harder, as everyone says until then, train hard at what you do.
WADR
GMReyes 
SGM Alan M. Reyes
SrGrandMaster KSDI(2014)
GrandMaster KSDI(1999)
9th DegreeRed/SilverBelt KSDI(1986)
60Yrs.ContinuousTraining KSDI/ReyesKenpoKarate(2014)
FirstGenerationStudent/Successor-GGM Aleju C. Reyes-RKK CA(1959)
FirstGenerationStudent-GGM Sijo Adriano D. Emperado-Palama Settlement Hi(1954)

Offline onephatboydave

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2010, 09:59:38 AM »
You are correct GM Reyes, But where is the leadership? When has the BOA posted last? It seems the BOA has taken the stance that if it doesn't deal with KSDI then they have nothing to say. Including SGM.

When SIJO passed I posted a thread asking "Who do you fall under now?" People were upset that I had asked that question. I knew those who were 8 and above still fell under SIJO. What I was asking was for the DIRECTION kajukenbo would be taking. Here we are today and it is the same as if SIJO passed yesterday. So I ask again where is the DIRECTION.

It would be nice to hear from some BOA members other then when SIJO'S tournament is coming up.

WADR   
David Garcia    Student Blackbelt/Black Sash
Tony Ramos Kajukenbo
Under Grand Master David V. Amiccuci
Honor, Bravery, Loyalty,Family

Offline Patrick Campbell

• Sifu
  • BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • Train the way you fight!
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2010, 10:43:02 AM »
I understand the concept and reality of leadership very well. We are talking about leadership in Kajukenbo and this is such a broad and diverse reality; so what are we really talking about? Do we need someone on a White Horse to come and save an Ohana that really doesn't need saving? Are we really in such dire straits?

Leadership starts and ends with you - the one reading this post - the one looking in the mirror. Regardless of what  any of us expects others who are of high rank to do or not do - the question is what are you doing. Just do it! The majority of us will do it right and with the right heart.

I believe so much in leadership at our grassroots - each teacher and each student. The Sifu and the Whitebelt; the Sigung and the Sifu; the Professor and the Sigung; the Grand Master and the Professor; the organization and its teachers (BOA, etc...).

Organizational leadership in my opinion should be moreso about empowerment and flow less from some hierarchial structure and moreso from a decentralized structure. Whether any of us want to admit it or not - Kajukenbo is not centralized as far as authority and power etc... are concerned - so why on earth would anyone want to change this? It is because of this that we have grown so large. I don't respond very well to hierachy - don't tell me what I can teach or who I can teach or how I can teach. innovation and change come from the grassroots.

I am glad that we are actually talking about things and hope that as more discussion unfolds ideas will come to the front that will be more unifying in the sense of OHANA and accepting diversity and common roots, concepts and  principles and less so on the sense of what someone else tells us we have to teach or do or think - because at the end of the day I am going to do what I am going to do and be the master that I am and will always be. It's all about change and at the foundation of this change is SIJO - Emperado Method. When you look in the mirror are you looking at a "change-master?" I am not confused about anything. I AM KAJUKENBO.

Pat
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 10:54:36 AM by Patrick61 »
Patrick "Kaponookalani" Campbell, Ph.D.
KAJUKENBO - Professor Kai Li - ETS / HKA
Kenpo - SGM Rick Alemany 
DZR Jujitsu - ETS / AJI
BJJ - ETS / USFBJJ / Master Joe Moreira
Combat Sambo - ETS / GCA / GM Alan New 
JKD / Kun Tao - ETS / IMB / G. Savelli
Royal Hawaiian Lua - ETS PA / Olohe Eli

Offline Ron Baker

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2010, 11:01:30 AM »
The UKO would oversee Kajukenbo as a whole and the region or branch boards would oversee each groups individual development. Sijo put in place the BOA which would continue it's role of promoting 8th and 9th degrees. The Senior grandmaster George Kanana would be the head of the UKO, unless he elected to name a person to that position. 
Correct me if I'm wrong, I was under the impression that Kajukenbo has a leader in Senior Grandmaster George Kaanana, was he not put in place of leadership within the Kajukenbo System when Senior Grandmaster Joe Halbuna passed by Sijo himself, then by rank with Sijo gone, Senior Grandmaster Kaanana would be the Pro Tem Leader,,,SGM Kaanana is not just the head of the BOA or KSDI, but oversees Kaju itself. And as far as the UKO, WKO, and any other possible organizations representing Kaju, the thought is great, and the doing is harder, as everyone says until then, train hard at what you do.
WADR
GMReyes 

I'm not going to correct you, but WADR I think you're wrong in your approach.  Kajukenbo no longer needs a king or patriarch.  It needs a departure from revisionist history, generational squabbles, and the incessant game of "Sijo Said". 

GM Powell--and many, many others who have posted offline--are speaking of an elected body who have no agendas except providing a very BASIC organizational framework for the Kajukenbo system to move forward instead of constantly lurching backwards.  No restrictions on freedoms or innovation; no dojo police.  Again, simply moving things forward.  Yes, the devil would be in the details.  But at least get the ball rolling.  One thing's for sure:  a modern and forward-thinking governing should not be comprised of do-nothing figure heads.  Rather, the smarter and wiser and self-less among us.

WADR,

Ron
Sigung (Shihan) Ron Baker
Kajukenbo 5280 MMA Foundation
Under GM Jason Groff
Ordonez Kajukenbo Ohana

Offline MVPMatt

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2010, 11:39:12 AM »
This response is from a straight "business" view.  These may not necessarily represent my own wishes or intentions......

That being said, we should not seek to re-invent the wheel too much.

A business grows and strengthens best when it has a duplicatable model.  What needs to be done is to get heads together and get some standards that are followed by every school seeking to be authentic Kaju.  At the same time, we cannot afford to alienate anyone who's been doing it for a long time and may not want to change.  That can be touchy, at best.  Perhaps start the standards at a set year, for instance, allowing for current Black Belts to continue as they were, or offer opportunities and training to get folks on the same page.  This will ensure that, going forward, Kaju is more teachable and also recognizable (huge benefit from the outside looking in).  Make it so that nobody gets "forced" in, but to be "official" going forward, there will be guidelines.
Instead of seeking to reinvent the wheel, make this a requirement to be KSDI.  We already have KSDI, that was set up per Sijo, it's official, so why bother to go changing.  Make KSDI the organising body - again use what we have.  Also, there are schools that are not KSDI.  That doesn't make them any less Kaju, they just don't have the KSDI label.  And they should continue as they choose.  Use KSDI to help set a standard and make Kajukenbo the style that it is.  As we do more the same and compete similarly, demonstrate similarly, do seminars, etc. that way, the more people will see us and say "Hey, that's Kajukenbo!"

There's lots of dynamics to work out, but until we can agree on some universal standards, we cannot expect growth and recognition to elevate Kajukenbo to the great art that it is. 

That is my take on the teaching side, aside from that, on the leadership side, I don't know if I'd touch that with a hundred-foot pole.  There's lots of really good people who hang back, or have been alienated out because of opinions or ideas contrary to those who are more visible.  There's also lots of people with pretty strong will out there who want to see things go as they think, or let things keep others from contributing based on personality clashes.  I think we all have good intentions and want to see our art grow, but can we get differences aside and move forward or not?

I give thanks today to God who made us all, for my family, my health and for Sijo, who gave us our Ohana - be blessed and have a great Thanksgiving y'all.
Sifu Matthew Porter
3rd Degree Black Belt
Under Professor Rodney Alo
Athens, TX

Offline Ron Baker

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2010, 12:04:07 PM »
Got your suggestions in the database, Matt.  Thank you much.  Enjoy this day of Thanksgiving, sir.
Sigung (Shihan) Ron Baker
Kajukenbo 5280 MMA Foundation
Under GM Jason Groff
Ordonez Kajukenbo Ohana

Tim Vargas

« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2010, 01:39:49 PM »
WADR
GMReyes  

GM Reyes is absolutely correct in saying SGM G. Kaanana (what I recognize as the Empera-Do)is the leader of KSDI, but where the dispute would lie is whether he is the head of ALL Kajukenbo, especially with two co-founders still alive.  I suppose if what Sijo had requested, that SGM G.K. was to accept the 11th degree promotion, he would then be above the Co-founders who are 10th degree, then I can see where he would be the head of ALL Kajukenbo.    I guess we will have to wait to hear from SGM G. K.  on what roll he assumes.

Tim

P.S. Reminder, the ONLY job of the BOA is to promote to 8th and 9th within KSDI, they have no authority in other matters, including whether or not Sijo's wish is fulfilled, that would depend solely on what the SGM does.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 02:03:38 PM by Tim Vargas »

Offline Danjo

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • Kajukenbo Forever!
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2010, 01:47:44 PM »
WADR
GMReyes 

I'm not going to correct you, but WADR I think you're wrong in your approach.  Kajukenbo no longer needs a king or patriarch.  It needs a departure from revisionist history, generational squabbles, and the incessant game of "Sijo Said". 

GM Powell--and many, many others who have posted offline--are speaking of an elected body who have no agendas except providing a very BASIC organizational framework for the Kajukenbo system to move forward instead of constantly lurching backwards.  No restrictions on freedoms or innovation; no dojo police.  Again, simply moving things forward.  Yes, the devil would be in the details.  But at least get the ball rolling.  One thing's for sure:  a modern and forward-thinking governing should not be comprised of do-nothing figure heads.  Rather, the smarter and wiser and self-less among us.

WADR,

Ron

Elect whom you want. Those that want to join will. Those that don't, won't. and then we have one more organization that can govern it's own members and has no authority or power over the rest. The problem with this whole approach is that it is not enforceable outside of the particular organization. If it were, then we wouldn't have people giving out KSDI promotions without the BOA. If it can't be enforced, then what is it but just one more organization?
"Rank Without Honor is Nothing."
Dan Weston
3rd Degree Black Belt under Prof. Bishop
FMAA
Don't tell me how much you honor Sijo, if you don't respect his wishes.

Offline onephatboydave

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2010, 02:06:52 PM »
WADR
GMReyes 

WADR,

Ron

Elect whom you want. Those that want to join will. Those that don't, won't. and then we have one more organization that can govern it's own members and has no authority or power over the rest. The problem with this whole approach is that it is not enforceable outside of the particular organization. If it were, then we wouldn't have people giving out KSDI promotions without the BOA. If it can't be enforced, then what is it but just one more organization?
Your exactly right those that want to join will and those who dont and want to stay in the no leadership no direction  politics as usual will stay were they are at. Instead of being negative throw in some ideas you would like to see and if not let those who want to move foreward move...

WADR
David Garcia    Student Blackbelt/Black Sash
Tony Ramos Kajukenbo
Under Grand Master David V. Amiccuci
Honor, Bravery, Loyalty,Family

Offline Danjo

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • Kajukenbo Forever!
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2010, 02:37:21 PM »

Your exactly right those that want to join will and those who dont and want to stay in the no leadership no direction  politics as usual will stay were they are at. Instead of being negative throw in some ideas you would like to see and if not let those who want to move foreward move...

WADR

Dave,

there's a difference between being negative and being realistic. Negative is saying "Things suck" "We are in a bad way" "Kajukenbo is leaderless" "Kajukenbo has no direction". Those are negative statements that run down what exists.

Realism is looking at the facts as I have stated them above. When you act as if everything can be fixed "If only..." then you engage in wishful thinking, not positive thinking.

Positive thinking is saying, "Well, there are issues with the way things have been done, but we are still a great Ohana and have a great art with many expressions." It's looking at the positive aspects of what we have and not being consumed by the negative side of things to the point of feeling the need to break off and go in your own direction.

We are not leaderless in Kajukenbo. We have MANY great leaders. My instructor, his instructor any of the Sifus, Sigungs, Professors and GMs that I have met either in person or on this forum. Great Leaders all! That is POSITIVE thinking, not negative thinking!

You want some ideas for the future of Kajukenbo? Cling to the good things in our art and deal with the bad things as they come up on a one-to-one basis.
I'm not saying that we ought to ignore the problems that exist. When someone is full of it: call them on it. Call things as you see them when they present themselves, but keep your focus on your training and the training of those that you teach.

We know who the BS artists are. We know those that either self promoted, schemed, bought or begged for their rank. Ignore them unless they come around shooting off their mouths, but don't throw out the rest of the genuinely good things in our art and Ohana merely because you don't like the way things are.

When someone writes to me and asks about some turkey or other wearing a Kajukenbo patch. I tell them, "Yes TECHNICALLY they are Kajukenbo, but if you really want to see good Kajukenbo check out our school, GM Kingi's, GM Bunda's, GM Harper's GM Bautista's etc. etc. etc. etc." and point them in the right direction. Once they see the real deal, then they too will be able to tell the difference.

So, once again, I'm not being negative. I'm trying to point out the positive and say that I think the best direction for Kajukenbo's future is the same one that made it an art and Ohana that we are all proud to be a part of!

« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 02:44:44 PM by Danjo »
Dan Weston
FMAA

Offline Danjo

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • Kajukenbo Forever!
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2010, 02:57:44 PM »

Kajukenbo no longer needs a king or patriarch.  It needs a departure from revisionist history, generational squabbles, and the incessant game of "Sijo Said". 

WADR,

Ron

Says who? Who ever said Kajukenbo was supposed to be run as some kind of business or on a business model? Who said that it wasn't a family with patriarchs? Who said that what Sijo said no longer matters? Who said that our family stories are "revisionist history"? Who says that the generational squabbles aren't merely the younger generation whining and arguing with their elders? Who says that the answer is to chuck all of our tradition and make things over into something new?
Dan Weston
FMAA

Offline John Bishop

• Senior Black Belt
  • Black Belt
  • Seek Knowledge, Not Rank
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2010, 03:11:49 PM »
I have to agree a lot with Sifu Pat and Sifu Dan.  Truth of the matter is Kajukenbo hasn't been united as 1 organization since the 60's.
The A.K.A., K.A.A., K.S.D.S., K.O.A., T.R.K., and several independent groups did what they felt was in their best interests without asking for input or approval from Sijo.  They did/do their own promotions and self promotions, established their own traditions, and chose their own leadership.  And they still do.  It works for them. And as long as they turn out martial artists who represent the system with quality technique and good ethics, good for them.  And good for Kajukenbo.  
In the past there have been efforts to unite all the organizations or their leaders under 1 umbrella organization like the I.K.A., E.K.A., K.O.A., but these efforts have failed.  Not because Kajukenbo is fragmented and needs repair, but because 1 organization couldn't meet all the needs and goals of every group.    

Too many people worry about who's going to be the next great leader for the system, instead of looking in the mirror for a great leader.
To me the leader or leaders of a system are not as important as every individual instructor.
The individual practitioners martial arts life is molded by the guidance and instruction they receive from their instructor.  Not their instructor's instructor, his instructor, or the leader of the system.  The quality of the instruction and ethics displayed by each instructor is what makes a good or bad system.
If someone is looking to get into the martial arts, they most likely will go visit a school and watch the classes. They may go to several schools.  They will form their opinions of a system based on what they observed in the schools they visited, not by who the leader of the system or organization is.

Good instructors will turn out good students, who in turn will be good instructors.  Therefore the quality of the system starts from the bottom up.
People didn't join Kajukenbo because Sijo was a great leader.  They joined Kajukenbo because Sijo created a system of excellent self defense techniques and training methods, taught in a atmosphere of creativity.  And if the individual instructors continue his way of teaching, the system will remain strong, whether it has 100 leaders of 100 organizations, or 1 leader of 1 organization.  
What I have seen in the past and present is Kajukenbo being united as a "system, brotherhood, ohana" made up of several organizations who share friendship and training with each other all the time.  I've never attended a Kajukenbo gathering that didn't have representatives from several organizations.  Here at the Cafe we have representatives from just about every branch, method, and organization communicating with each other, and supporting each other.    

But this is just my opinion, and how I have approached Kajukenbo.  I basically only have a strong influence on the 40 students I teach.  If the Kajukenbo instructor in the next town or organization is doing a poor job, there's not much I can do about it.  But hopefully he has a good instructor that will guide him in a positive way.  Again, I believe instructors and their students as a whole make the system, not the leaders.  
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 03:16:40 PM by John Bishop »
John Bishop  8th Degree-Original Method 
Under Grandmaster Gary Forbach
K.S.D.I. # 478, FMAA

"You watch, once I'm gone, all the snakes will start popping their heads up!"  Sijo Emperado

Tim Vargas

« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2010, 03:30:12 PM »
I have to agree a lot with Sifu Pat and Sifu Dan.  Truth of the matter is Kajukenbo hasn't been united as 1 organization since the 60's.
The A.K.A., K.A.A., K.S.D.S., K.O.A., T.R.K., and several independent groups did what they felt was in their best interests without asking for input or approval from Sijo.  They did/do their own promotions and self promotions, established their own traditions, and chose their own leadership.  And they still do.  It works for them. And as long as they turn out martial artists who represent the system with quality technique and good ethics, good for them.  And good for Kajukenbo.  
In the past there have been efforts to unite all the organizations or their leaders under 1 umbrella organization like the I.K.A., E.K.A., K.O.A., but these efforts have failed.  Not because Kajukenbo is fragmented and needs repair, but because 1 organization couldn't meet all the needs and goals of every group.    

Too many people worry about who's going to be the next great leader for the system, instead of looking in the mirror for a great leader.
To me the leader or leaders of a system are not as important as every individual instructor.
The individual practitioners martial arts life is molded by the guidance and instruction they receive from their instructor.  Not their instructor's instructor, his instructor, or the leader of the system.  The quality of the instruction and ethics displayed by each instructor is what makes a good or bad system.
If someone is looking to get into the martial arts, they most likely will go visit a school and watch the classes. They may go to several schools.  They will form their opinions of a system based on what they observed in the schools they visited, not by who the leader of the system or organization is.

Good instructors will turn out good students, who in turn will be good instructors.  Therefore the quality of the system starts from the bottom up.
People didn't join Kajukenbo because Sijo was a great leader.  They joined Kajukenbo because Sijo created a system of excellent self defense techniques and training methods, taught in a atmosphere of creativity.  And if the individual instructors continue his way of teaching, the system will remain strong, whether it has 100 leaders of 100 organizations, or 1 leader of 1 organization.  
What I have seen in the past and present is Kajukenbo being united as a "system, brotherhood, ohana" made up of several organizations who share friendship and training with each other all the time.  I've never attended a Kajukenbo gathering that didn't have representatives from several organizations.  Here at the Cafe we have representatives from just about every branch, method, and organization communicating with each other, and supporting each other.    

But this is just my opinion, and how I have approached Kajukenbo.  I basically only have a strong influence on the 40 students I teach.  If the Kajukenbo instructor in the next town or organization is doing a poor job, there's not much I can do about it.  But hopefully he has a good instructor that will guide him in a positive way.  Again, I believe instructors and their students as a whole make the system, not the leaders.  

I agree with pretty much everything you have said Prof. Bishop, except where you say the KAA didnt ask input or approval of Sijo before organizing.  From what I understand, the Chiefs; Halbuna, Gaylord, Reyes, Ramos and Sifu Gabe Vargas (incorporators) DID in fact get the blessing from Sijo to organize the KAA, one year before the KSDI was incorporated.  As for the other groups I dont know.

Tim  

Offline John Bishop

• Senior Black Belt
  • Black Belt
  • Seek Knowledge, Not Rank
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2010, 03:35:46 PM »

I agree with pretty much everything you have said Prof. Bishop, except where you say the KAA didnt ask input or approval of Sijo before organizing.  From what I understand, the Chiefs; Halbuna, Gaylord, Reyes, Ramos and Sifu Gabe Vargas (incorporators) DID in fact get the blessing from Sijo to organize the KAA.  As for the other groups I dont know.

Tim  

Your correct in a historical sense, as the K.A.A. was basically the first Kajukenbo organization on the mainland, and represented most of the mainland schools.  
I was writing in a more modern sense of what the K.A.A. became.  A organization headed by GGM Gaylord and his board of directors, and made up of practitioners of the "Gaylord Method" of Kajukenbo Chuan fa.    
John Bishop  8th Degree-Original Method 
Under Grandmaster Gary Forbach
K.S.D.I. # 478, FMAA

"You watch, once I'm gone, all the snakes will start popping their heads up!"  Sijo Emperado

Tim Vargas

« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2010, 03:41:31 PM »
Oh, okay Prof. Bishop, in that case yes you are right.  Slowly but surely most of those who incorporated the KAA left, and even to this day I do not have all the history as to why, although it has be eluded to by some.