Author Topic: Kajukenbo....Pure or Evolving  (Read 5451 times)

Offline Greg Hoyt

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
Kajukenbo....Pure or Evolving
« on: September 02, 2012, 03:46:29 PM »
Aloha Everyone, 
I've been thinking of and missing Sigung Trent Sera this weekend.  He will always be my hero, my mentor, my friend.  I remember when we first started training with him at Maui High Cafeteria (2000).  He was a 3rd Degree back then, and he was teaching some of his own techniques to us, as well as some of the techniques he learned from Professor Luna.  After a few years he switched his basic curriculum back to pure Emperado Method, with his own flavor of ground fighting added.  We had seminars from different Masters, ie Wally Jay, Grand Master Delacruz, Professor Luna, Grand Master Reyes, Professor Rodriguez....any instructor who came to visit Maui we asked them to teach us something.  I remember we cross trained  Brazilian Jiu Jitsu with Professor Luis Heredia, and some Kali with a local Guru from down the street (forgive me, I can't remember his name).  After I moved to Arizona Sigung Trent started learning some pressure point techniques.  Always evolving, willing to learn, keeping an open mind, while maintaining and passing on the basic Emperado Method knowledge. 

I received my 3rd Degree just before moving to Arizona with my family (2009).  As with most Kajukenbo instructors, we began training in our garage and in the local parks.  At that time we just copied Sigung Trent's curriculum, with his added ground fighting techniques.  After a few months I thought about adding a Submission Grappling Class, and I asked Sigung about it.  He replied, "You are a 3rd Degree Kajukenbo Black Belt, you can teach anything you want.  No one can tell you what to learn or teach."  I never forgot that conversation. 

At Hoyt's Kajukenbo we teach the Emperado Method, including Pinans and Alphabets.  Always will.  We have also developed 5 Advanced Knife Counters, 2  Advanced Punch Counters, 4 Advanced Grab Counters, 8 Handgun Defenses, as well as a simple Ground Fighting Curriculum.  Our "Ad Libs" have a definate Silat flavor, and our Judo is the Combat variety as opposed to the Sport Variety.  We have a Submission Grappling Program (love to roll).  And, I'm sure we will continue to add and change techniques (even some of the Emperado Method techniques), as we travel the path. 

Some "Seniors" SEEM to believe that unless an instructor teaches the pure Emperado Method that the instructor shouldn't claim to teach the Emperado Method. 
There are some instructors who only teach the Emperado Method, nothing else matters. 

I get the impression that Sijo wanted Kajukenbo to be openminded, to grow and evolve as times and current circumstances change, while still retaining and honoring the Kajukenbo roots.

With respect, what do you think?

Greg 

Sifu Greg Hoyt
Hoyt's Kajukenbo, Peoria, Arizona
Under Sigung Trent Sera, Professor Kailani Koa
Train Hard - Fight Dirty

Offline Claudio

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • Empty your mind
Re: Kajukenbo....Pure or Evolving
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 05:57:04 PM »
I agree,

But the way I've heard it explained was the original techniques were not supposed to be changed by the instructors.  But they could add to what they teach.  Basically the basics stayed the same.

Original Method is the is the term that brings controversy ,  should you say we train old school meaning hard core Kaju ie... (contact).  Versus saying Original Method which eludes to the (Original) techniques either taught in Hawaii in the 50s or when Kaju originally came to the mainland.

I'm sure others will chime in on this.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 05:30:48 PM by claudio »
Prof. Claude "Claudio" Lawson III
Ronin Kombat Systems / American Kajukembo Assoc

Kajukembo/Kajukenbo(GM Davis)/ Brazilian Jiujitsu/Kick Boxing/ Practical Weapons/ JKD

Offline Greg Hoyt

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 06:04:32 PM »
Mahalo, 
So, what is the difference between the Original Method and the Emperado Method? 
Sifu Greg Hoyt
Train Hard - Fight Dirty

Offline Ghost Rider

• Senior Moderator
  • Brown Belt
  • Live hard & Die fast
    • Kajupit.com
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 01:28:11 AM »
In my opinion;
Original method is the original way of training.
Emperado method is to be creative with what you are given
Sijo was creative in his own way and wanted us too do the same.
at least thats what he said to me.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 01:30:42 AM by Ghost Rider »
Greg Harper
senior instructor, Gumataotao Kajukenbo
Head instructor, Kajupit MMA
Sijo Emperado's personal body guard

Offline Sigung Jeff Macalolooy

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • Family First.
    • Dragons Den MMA
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 09:23:23 AM »
Everything must evolve ... its the way of life ... everything around us is constantly changing ... either change with the times or become obsolete.

Sibak Greg, in 2008 when I visited Sijo on Maui and trained with you and Sigung Trent, my family and I had a blast.

I believe you are doing what Sijo wanted by teaching his art and allowing it to "take natures course" and evolve.

Too many times we get caught up with labels ... Emperado Method, Original Method, etc.

Like GM Harper said, the "method" is the way of training, not the actual techniques ... its about approach and how you train.  The most important thing is to respect those that came before us and were nice enough to help us along our journey and inspire us to pass on the knowledge they shared.

Keep doing what you're doing!
Jeff Macalolooy
Focus on the future.
www.DragonsDenMMA.com
ucjmac@yahoo.com

Offline Patrick Campbell

• Sifu
  • BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • Train the way you fight!
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 11:00:31 AM »
DITTO.

Patrick
Patrick "Kaponookalani" Campbell, Ph.D.
KAJUKENBO - Professor Kai Li - ETS / HKA
Kenpo - SGM Rick Alemany 
DZR Jujitsu - ETS / AJI
BJJ - ETS / USFBJJ / Master Joe Moreira
Combat Sambo - ETS / GCA / GM Alan New 
JKD / Kun Tao - ETS / IMB / G. Savelli
Royal Hawaiian Lua - ETS PA / Olohe Eli

Offline Greg Hoyt

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 12:55:32 PM »
Interesting responses, and thank you. 

Yes, Sigung Jeff, it was great when you came to Maui to visit.  What I remember most was you and your brother kicking everyones butt during the full contact bullring.  Old school, fit right in.  That was a good night at class.  Then at the Submission Grappling class your son submitted all the kids he rolled with.  It was awesome.  That was the day your brother taught me the Darce Choke.....after choking me out.  haha.  Good times. 
Sifu Greg Hoyt
Train Hard - Fight Dirty

Offline Rick Kingi

• Senior Moderator
  • Blue Belt
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 03:11:16 PM »
  GM Harper you are so right in what you said, Sijo loves contact and two train hard I remeber when my school was up north at Brian Yosiho's tournament he walk over and said I know you guys train hard by looking at the color of are gi's they started out black but when he saw them they were almost greay.  He wanted Kajukenbo to grow from it name and becasue of all of you teachers and school owners Kajukenbo has grown to wear it should be, just think if we just kept it the same from the 1940"s what we would look like and yes it worked then but everything has to change and you guys are doing it for him so I know he would have loved it more and more. RIP SIJO"S becasue each and everyone that use the name Kajukembo is under you...

Much Love and Respect
GM Rick Kingi

Offline Ghost Rider

• Senior Moderator
  • Brown Belt
  • Live hard & Die fast
    • Kajupit.com
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 11:41:15 PM »
Pure or evolving, Here's one for you.
My heart is pure Kajukenbo
My spirit is evolving
Greg Harper
senior instructor, Gumataotao Kajukenbo
Head instructor, Kajupit MMA
Sijo Emperado's personal body guard

Offline Greg Hoyt

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 09:25:21 AM »
I appreciate all the responses.  And, while I don't need anyone's approval for the Kajukenbo we teach, it's good to know there are so many like minded instructors out there. 
I believe that a vast majority of us share Grandmaster Harper's last post.  We all love Kajukenbo, and it doesn't matter how it's spelled, or what the method is.  I honor the instructors who have kept the techniques just as they were handed down to them. 
I also appreciate the changes. 
Mahalo.
Sifu Greg Hoyt
Sifu Greg Hoyt
Train Hard - Fight Dirty

Offline Danjo

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • Kajukenbo Forever!
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 12:16:25 PM »
Making adjustments or additions to something in order to flesh it out or make it suit the needs you see is natural. If you put a spoiler on a Mustang, it's still a Mustang. I think it's when people put a Mustang label on a Toyota, that the problems begin.
"Rank Without Honor is Nothing."
Dan Weston
3rd Degree Black Belt under Prof. Bishop
FMAA
Don't tell me how much you honor Sijo, if you don't respect his wishes.

Offline Aloha Aina

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • Sifu Renato Bernardino
    • Kajukenbo Portugal
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 07:54:41 PM »
For me the original Method as all it takes to evolve from. Evolving is allways good in the right sense of the word.

Aloha
Sifu Renato Bernardino

Under GM Angel Garcia
Kajukenbo Portugal
www.kajukenbo.pt