Expanded areas of Interest > Internal Arts

Ba Qua Chang

<< < (3/3)

Steve:

the 9 post or pole walking are a advanced exercise....each time u change of post or pole u change direction of walking so u do a palm change.... in bagua everytime u change direction u palm change ...

Steeve

Mark Dinkel:
the 9 circles that I was shown were arranged in a magic square such that each row and each column equalled 15. I can recreate a magic square but the sequence does not sit with my memory. Here is the magic square I come up with:

8            6            1

4            2            9

3            7            5

In a book titled Baguazhang - Emei Baguazhang, they put the circles in the following sequence:

3             4            9

8            5             2

1            6             7

This type of walking is clearly for advanced walking.

As for switching directions, you are constantly doing so. One circle you walk clockwise the next counter clockwise. Walk each circle in its entirety before moving onto the next. After reaching 9, go back down. Doing so, you should walk each circle once clockwise and counterclockwise.

Personally, I find this walking a bit more difficult and distracting. There are too many other things for me to concentrate on when walking ding shyr to add a maze of circles. Maybe I just need to walk ding shyr for another decade or so before I feel more comfortable with the 9 palaces.

Kajukenbopr:
i have a book that teaches 8 palm changes- should i do any palm changes when changing direction or do them in order and then back?

the other has different arm position for when u walk the circle, circles inside and outside the circle- what should be done about this?

- i keep asking you people a lot of these questions... thank you for answering! ;D

Steve:

EachStyle of Pakua have is own in the Pakua sysatem .....the 8 palms change are differents from one style to another s....each style have some different forms ...some have around 3 differents 8 palms changes some more internal (chi kung) and physical and a free forms without the circles and some linears forms...

No esoteric stuff here just method of training  to keep urs footwork ...pakua is footwork the concept is to parry the attack and go behind the opponent and strike him on his  back...takedowns and thats it....Pakua   

Steeve

BB54:
One of the training methods I was exposed to as far as the palm changes was to do the circle stepping in a manner of eight steps whereby the first two would be the transition from one palm change, beginning with the single palm posture, and then blend into one palm change.  By the time you would get to the eighth step you would be blending into the second palm change.  In this method there would be eight sets of eight palm changes which would in total sixty-four palm changes.  If you count the other side that you would do a mirror image of the entire set, it would be one hundred twenty-eight palm changes. I get tired just thinking about it. 

Another workout is the same stepping with using eight postures that you would blend into. It would start with “Hands Float On Water” blend into “Hands Hold Up The Heavens” to “Singe Palm” to “Snake Darts Out Tongue” to “Push The Circle” to “Monkey Offers Fruit” to “Snake Hangs From Tree” to “Dragon Holds Up Moon” then reverse directions and start the sequence again. This is more of a Chi-Kung type exercise drill as it is pretty simplistic and basic.

Both methods are part of the “Mother Style” and unfortunately I am having a senior moment whereby I cannot remember the proper name in Chinese.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version