Author Topic: Would you study under Terry Lee?  (Read 12486 times)

Karazenpo

Would you study under Terry Lee?
« on: March 23, 2003, 09:58:52 AM »
Okay, first for those who don't know what I'm talking about please read the excerpt below:

Osamu Goeku began to cause trouble about this time, and in the 3rd week of January 1974, Mitose went to a karate tournament looking for someone who could be a genuine "black assassin". This was Terry Lee, whom he promised to teach kenpo, in exchange for his loyalty. Two months later, on March 18, 1974, Mitose took Lee to Goeku's house then gave him a rope, knife and air pistol (to be place directly on Goeku temple to kill him) and instructed Lee to kill Goeku.

Lee did not go through with the murder. However, the following day, March 19, Mitose learned that the Namimatsu's had an appointment with the District Attorney for March 21, and he again met with Lee to order the killing of Frank Namimatsu. Again Mitose gave Lee a knife, rope and screwdriver and told him how to kill Namimatsu in the victims home. Lee was confronted by Mrs. Namimatsu, when he broke into the home, and Lee strangled and brutally stabbed her repeatedly with a screwdriver. She was left unconscious but miraculously survived. He then killed Frank Namimatsu.

Now, this guy has since changed his name and teaches Koga Ha Shorei Ryu Kempo Ninjitsu. Wonder if he teaches any screwdriver techniques? >:(  He appears to have a following and comes across on his website as being some noble, ethical and moral martial arts instructor ::)   Before I hear from anyone about how he may have found God and changed and rehabilitated ::)
then THINK THIS: What if that was your mother and father or grandparents? Would you still feel the same way? ;) So he beat the system. Personally, okay, he copped a deal, got out of prison early and has to "legally' earn a living. Fine, but NOT IN THE MARTIAL ARTS! >:(  It's a disgrace to all of us!  Some people like Terry Lee seem to forget, that in this life, we are held accountable for our actions and a five year prison term doesn't exactly cut it! Not in my book anyway!
                                                      What say you?

*Added 03-28-03/I stand corrected,not a five year prison term, a THREE YEAR stint! :o
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:03 PM by -1 »

Offline Mell

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • www.watchthelamb.com
    • Watch the Lamb Ministries
Re: Would you study under Terry Lee?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2003, 07:55:21 PM »
Frightening - just think, he might be teaching children.
Sibak Mellody Porter
ANDERSON MARTIAL ARTS - Grafton, Ohio
www.ohiokajukenbo.com
www.watchthelamb.com

Offline John Bishop

• Senior Black Belt
  • Black Belt
  • Seek Knowledge, Not Rank
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2003, 08:42:28 PM »
Actually, Terry Lee, aka Nimr Hasan is or was teaching thru the school district in Philadelphia. Pa.  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by 1054443600 »
John Bishop  8th Degree-Original Method 
Under Grandmaster Gary Forbach
K.S.D.I. # 478, FMAA

"You watch, once I'm gone, all the snakes will start popping their heads up!"  Sijo Emperado

Offline Nagi

• Blue Belt
    • Hapkido
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2003, 03:37:33 AM »
Agreed he should be accountable for his actions.
I feel for the parents that send there kids to his school
and for that matter any student not knowing his past.
It takes many wise acts to be considered a wise person, but only one foolish act to be considered a fool
www.tmi-selfdefense.com

Karazenpo

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2003, 05:23:39 AM »
Mell, I'm glad you brought that up becuase I was thinking about that too, since I teach a "Kids Class". Hey, I know none of us are perfect but who is he to instill "values" in our children! Sigung John made another point. The Philadelphia school administration never checked this guy out? or nobody ever "dropped a dime" on him? What gives? To Ron, wouldn't you think the parents would have caught wind of it by now and his reputation would be "toast" out there? I mean he must be around some competitive dojos that couldn't wait to "drop the dime" on him! Something is wrong with this picture! Does anyone have any ideas or knows something I don't? I, along with others would be real interested in hearing from you. Oh, one other thing. There are law enforcement officers on this forum, Sigung Bishop, Professor Scott, myself to name a few and we are held to a higher standard by the public and rightfully so. Where is "this public" who entrusts our children to someone like that? Where's their voice now?
How can this be? ???       Respectfully, Shihan Joe

Offline Nagi

• Blue Belt
    • Hapkido
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2003, 06:05:17 AM »
I remember a post Sigung John brought up a little while back on how he was never asked any questions on his background or record. I think parents just assume that MA teachers are honest law biting citizens? I like S. John have never been asked any questions from parents on my background concerning a record. Well he did change his name and moved from Hawaii (or California?) across the country (not that I think it will help). Shihan Joe maybe your e-mail will drop the dime on him?

Ron
It takes many wise acts to be considered a wise person, but only one foolish act to be considered a fool
www.tmi-selfdefense.com

Offline John Bishop

• Senior Black Belt
  • Black Belt
  • Seek Knowledge, Not Rank
John Bishop  8th Degree-Original Method 
Under Grandmaster Gary Forbach
K.S.D.I. # 478, FMAA

"You watch, once I'm gone, all the snakes will start popping their heads up!"  Sijo Emperado

Karazenpo

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2003, 06:04:51 PM »
Sigung John, I would love to comment on those two websites on "Terry Lee" you recomended to check out but I'm sorry, I have to leave my computer, make a dash for the bathroom and "PUKE"!!!!!!!!!!!!! What's next? "UNBELIEVABLE!     Shihan Joe

Offline Mell

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • www.watchthelamb.com
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2003, 07:26:39 PM »
I certainly would not advicate regulating martial arts schools, so how can this type of thing be stopped?

Word of mouth is great, but it only travels so far so fast.
Sibak Mellody Porter
www.ohiokajukenbo.com
www.watchthelamb.com

Karazenpo

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2003, 08:56:54 AM »
Good question, Mell! Does anyone have any ideas? ???

Joshua Meredith

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2003, 09:53:46 AM »
Most students probably do not know of his background. I know when I began training, I did not inquire as to whether my instructor was law-abiding or whatnot.

But someone who hires him to teach for them should know by their application/interview. Someone should email the Philadelphia school district or even the paper to make them aware of the issue.

What's worse is a person who teaches Kanzen Kenpo, which I have never heard of until now. He was charged, (I believe convicted and later released) for child molestation. This is a martial arts instructor who is once again teaching. Regulation wouldn't help either because he has always just been over the border in Canada.

www.kanzenkenpo.com

Someone should make people aware. Newspapers are the best bet because very few inquiring students will actually read this type of stuff on a website.

sleddog

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2003, 11:43:12 AM »
Regarding the allegations about Joe Foster that you have made, what is your proof?

I have lived in Canada for quite a while and have never heard of this before.

Kajukenbo however does have it's share of lowlifes as well. Child molesters, murderers etc.

Joshua Meredith

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2003, 12:16:31 PM »
Only from a fellow Canadian who I have known through the web-world for a few years. The source is Gou Ronin, (nickname from Martial Talk) real name Doug. He and Joe Foster are both in the same area (London, Ontario, Canada). There is a whole thread dedicated to him on www.martialtalk.com

I am not saying that there aren't bad people in every art. But the public needs to be educated about them to some degree so they can make an informed decision.

Offline badsifu

• restricted
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2003, 01:24:06 PM »
I certainly would not advicate regulating martial arts schools, so how can this type of thing be stopped?

Word of mouth is great, but it only travels so far so fast.

Why wouldn't regulating martial arts schools be a benefit not only to the public, but the schools themselves.  I live in a very word of mouth community, where the "people all know your name..."  There is one school currently, that is owned, operated, and instructed by someone who is a self-proclaimed black belt.  There was another school, who's head is currently being investigate on conspiracy to commit murder.

In Kajukenbo, just here in the SF Bay area, one instructor was convicted and did time for child molestation.  Wouldn't even a LITTLE regulator be good for martial arts?  I am fingerprinted by the local P.D. and Highway Patrol - not cause I have to be, but because it is a really good selling point.  When parent's know that you care, then they make sure they do as well.

I am all for regulating.  As far as this Terry Lee guy goes, I think if there was a little regulation, he wouldn't be teaching martial arts out of anything but his garage to a bunch of street brawlers.
Dan Tyrrell

Offline Mell

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • www.watchthelamb.com
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2003, 02:11:22 PM »
I guess I look at regulating as paying more taxes and long application processes to see if someone uneduacted in your field of martial arts feels you are worthy enough to teach.

Teachers in the public field are under such guidelines, yet they also follow state regulations.  Who could/should regulate martial art instructors?  The state, the head of the martial arts association you are affilated with or someone else?  I think it would be difficult.

I appreciated the comment about having finger prints on file with local law enforcement for the benefit of your students and parents of students.  Not bad.  I think it shows integrity on your part.
Sibak Mellody Porter
www.ohiokajukenbo.com
www.watchthelamb.com