Author Topic: Would you study under Terry Lee?  (Read 12386 times)

Offline John Bishop

• Senior Black Belt
  • Black Belt
  • Seek Knowledge, Not Rank
Re: Would you study under Terry Lee?
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2003, 02:20:11 PM »
In Calif. if you teach children in a public program like  Parks and Recreation, you are required to be fingerprinted and background checked.  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by 1054443600 »
John Bishop  8th Degree-Original Method 
Under Grandmaster Gary Forbach
K.S.D.I. # 478, FMAA

"You watch, once I'm gone, all the snakes will start popping their heads up!"  Sijo Emperado

Karazenpo

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2003, 04:26:50 PM »
Mell, I would say it would have to be definitely state mandated. Martial arts associations wouldn't work because then who would regulate them. The state at least has to answer to someone, at least to the citizens, the voters! ;)

Offline badsifu

• restricted
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2003, 09:38:04 PM »
I don't think you would need to show any particular certification about your style.  Just some background check if you are working with kids to make sure you aren't some molester.  Your local PD should do that already for massage therapists (that special kinda massage.)  The CHP fingerprints and tests bus drivers (includes youth bus - afterschool pick up programs with 10+ kids/vehicle) for drugs.

As far as your organization sanctioning you as an instructor, I think that is fine and dandy, but I am sure we have all heard of a few "buy a belt" organizations where you too can be a 10th degree black belt -- at the age of 18 too (for only a small fee.)
Dan Tyrrell

Karazenpo

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2003, 05:18:52 AM »
 badsifu, Exactly, my point. That's why it has to be state or even municipal. It has to be taken out of the hands of any sanctioning martial arts bodies(although there are many fine ones) because like you said we've all seen abuse in that area but it would be less likely in state or muncipal do to the stringent guidelines. In other words you either have a criminal background in such activities or you don't-basically black & white, not much "wiggle room" if any. However, as we know nothing is perfect. You could have a "predator" out there who hasn't been caught yet and is not on record but it's sure better than nothing.
  Here's a point of interest. In Massachusetts where I am a police officer we had a Sexual Offender Registry. All offenders had to register at their local police departments. If a citizen came in and inquired for their safety or the safety of their children as to any of these offenders residing in their neighborhoods they were given a list. It also aided the police for potential suspects if we had a crime in a certain neighborhood we could also look for a match in the M.O. and check them out. All of a sudden this was stopped >:( (momentarily) do to a possible violation of their civil rights that they were being punished twice. (I know, I hear ya!,sickening,isn't it). ::)  I'm happy to say the "Registry" is back in operation. :)
                                                 Respectfully Shihan Joe

Rick Mattioli

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2003, 10:41:29 AM »
In any occupation, career, or martial art, we will always find molesters, criminals, dirtballs and knuckleheads. As Sigung and Shihan as well as many others in this forum are aware, Terry Lee has "pulled the wool" over the eyes of many people- his resume is b.s.

If you spend any length of time in the martial arts, and eventually follow your roots, you will find that many of our elders- and M/A ancestors were not nice people- they were street hoodlums, drug addicts, alcoholics, and were not God-fearing law abiding citizens.  However, it is up to us to make sure our students and brothers and sisters are aware of the true history of
whatever style and lineage they come from.  

Terry Lee and others need to be exposed for what they really are: SAD, USELESS LOWLIFES who acn hurt the reputations of thousands of good committed teachers who have chosen to seek the truth and the way...

Karazenpo

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2003, 05:35:48 AM »
From Terry Lee's current bio: ::)

In the community, Menkyo Hanshi Hassan was awarded the 1982 Jaycee Outstanding Young Men in America. In addition, in 1985, he received the Walter A. Gay Service Award by the Urban League of Philadelphia. In 1992/93 Menkyo Hanshi Hassan was the recipient of the "Who's Who Worldwide", which is awarded to individuals who have demonstrated leadership and achievement in their occupation, industry or profession.

Dae Williamson

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2003, 02:35:52 PM »
I have never heard of this person before reading the information posted in this forum but based solely on the information posted here the answer to “would I study under Terry Lee” would be an obvious NO. However I would like to say that if I were to learn that this person changed his life and has made a substantial positive contribution to his community, his god and his fellow man I might consider studying with him if he had something I could not find down the street at another dojo.  As far as sending my kids there the answer is HELL NO.
 I would like to get comments on another similar point. Let’s say this, or any other person for that matter, is convicted of a crime. Murder, rape, child molestation…etc. But has taught other students that have gone on to establish their own training studios, should these people be rejected from the style they were taught?
 (Terry teaches John Doe, John Doe gets his teaching certification from Terry, should John Doe be allowed/welcomed into the community that Terry dishonored?)

Lastly, I was reading another posting about a mother that interrupted a class because Sifu was picking on little Johnny, Or something along those lines. There was a posting that said their main dojo was in another room from where the parents could observe. This seems a little dangerous to say that it is acceptable for little Johnny to be in the back room with Sifu and if the parents want to observe they can set a special appointment. This would seem the ideal situation for predators. If anyone is going to make sure their children are safe it has to be the parents doesn’t it?

If  I lived anywhere near this persons dojo I would be happy to make up some fliers and place them on the cars of the parents when they show up to watch or pickup their kids.

Karazenpo

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2003, 06:48:26 PM »
I believe I can address all your questions since you are referring to both my posts.
Terry Lee-Please go back to the post I started on this and reread the part about finding God and rehabilitating for such a savage murder. Hey, maybe Saddam can find God or Alla, be forgiven and put back in power. We should run that past the Iraqi people who sufferd in his 'torture chambers'.  I also thought God is in our hearts, how come all these people find him hanging around prisons!

Would one study a system that was taught by someone, to paraphrase,  was "dishonored" do to a crime against humanity that shocks the conscience. I guess we have to say yes, since most of us on this board can trace our lineage to Terry Lee's partner in crime, James M. Mitose who was convicted of murder, extortion, kidnapping and once charged with rape-No Mitose, No Kempo is a quote from Al Tracy.

The main dojo is isolated from the waiting room and is dangerous do to "predators".  #1) you should ask for more details before making such a statement. #2) the school in question is in a highly visible business district with three 'large' windows with blinds completely up during business hours and clearly visible from the parking lot, foot traffic and adjacent businesses. #3) I think being a police officer and a detective since 1977,(with an unblemished record) who co-headed a program called, "Operation:Child Watch", only for these reasons, I just may know a little about what is dangerous to children as far as sexual predators go. #4) as far as your flyers go, there will be a flee market next Sunday not too far from the school and they're looking for someone to help promote it!  Sincerely, Shihan Joe Shuras

Oh! I almost forgot, there's a #5) again, go back and read my post. Parents do not make an APPOINTMENT as you stated to observe the progress of their child. When they go to bring their child in all they have to do is request that they wish to watch the class. No big thing! Plus if you have been teaching children for any appreciable time you should know that they are easily distracted and look to their parents for approval or disapproval. A well known martial arts instructor once put an article in Black Belt magazine on this, where he used a one way observation window for parents. You may feel I'm being defensive on this and you're right! You are entitled to your opinion and I respect that but please get your facts straight and carefully read the posts before responding. Understand, over the years I've been "drilled' by some of the best 'defense' attorneys around, lol. :D  No hard feelings, but I had to vent my opinions on these issues.......your round!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:04 PM by -1 »

blackdragon69

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2003, 08:57:57 AM »
The above posting by Dae Williamson should have said Dave Williamson aka Blackdragon69.

Let me first apologize if my comments were taken as an attack. That was not my intention at all. I mean nothing but the highest respect for all people and especially those present in this forum. Please let publicly apologize if I have offended Shihan Shuras or anyone else in this café. My only intent was to spark a conversation.
 I hope that it is obvious from the postings that we both love martial arts and that the safety of children is of the utmost importance.

I believe the response to my initial point, if I may paraphrase, was that yes "John Doe" should be welcomed into this community. Thank-you for your response.

I understand your position with regard to Terry Lee.  You asked the question, I gave an honest answer. I do not presume to tell anyone where his or her god is.

I did re-read the entire "Flunking students how do you do it" posting as you suggested.  I apologize for not asking for more information about your Dojo. Again, I meant no disrespect toward you, your school, your 26 year unblemished police record, or any other organization you are affiliated with. Let me try this a different way, and defer to your obvious superior expertise in this area. Would someone that is prone to select children or the elderly as their victim be inclined to use an approach toward their parents/family that suggests that they are unwelcome or that it would be better if they we not around?

No hard feelings on this end and I hope "your round" means "I'm buying the next round" .. cheers

Karazenpo

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2003, 09:29:18 AM »
Mr. Williamson, first let me also extend my apologies to you also for  it seems you are a man of integrity and I must have taken it the wrong way. When I first read your response I thought it may give the impression that either myself or Shihan Kathy may have a hidden agenda for not having parents observe at the Milford school and that's why I went on the defensive. It kind of 'set the tone' for the rest of my response for I truely do respect the opinions of others and have changed my mind on things in the past when won over by someone who made a better point.  Again, please accept my apologies for I realize that wasn't your intent. The other situation about the murder was that I had read some legal documents as to what actually occurred and I'm sure if you did too, you would come away with the same feelings. You have shown to be a true gentleman in your response and a credit to the arts. :)   Respectfully, Shihan Joe

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:04 PM by -1 »

TODD

Re:Would you study under Terry Lee?
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2003, 09:09:38 AM »
My knowledge on Terry Lee is very limited.  A good point brought up was the victom(s) of the crime.  Another is kids.  I can go farther as in anyone associated with this person has a need to know of his history before taking lessons.  I think anyone teaching should register and a background done.  A background involves full name, DOB, agency, purpose, and who is requesting.  It checks state and federal computer.  Hence, it doesnt take much.  Currently predatory criminals have to register in MN.  I think any Felony crime against the person should register with local law enforcement nation wide.  These people should not be allowed around our children without the parents being fully aware.  As a parent I should be able to trust anyone teaching my kids anything anywhere.  I should not have to ask.  The burden of information should legally rely on the instructor.  I should also be able to go to my local city police or sheriff's office and see a list of anyone living in that jurisdiction whom has committed a felony crime against the person.  How many of us teach to anyone whom has commited assault before or after taking classes?  How do we know the student is telling the truth?  How can I find out if past records are private information?  I may or may not teach but I want to know the circumstances of the crime before I decide...  How would the public in my community feel about me teaching a "Terry Lee"?

Offline Bautista's

• teaching since 1966
  • Senior Moderator
  • Brown Belt
  • you show me-I show you
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2006, 03:11:06 AM »
Is it needed to go any farther????
Emil
Emil Bautista
Kajukenbo black belt (1966)