Author Topic: Key aspects of Tum Pai  (Read 5198 times)

Offline guarded

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • He who hesitates, meditates; horizontally!
Key aspects of Tum Pai
« on: January 13, 2004, 01:34:18 PM »
Two of the main aspects of Kajukenbo Tum Pai are to off center yourself and off balance your attacker.  You should see this to some degree in all of our counters.  A good example of this concept can be seen in Basic Trick #6.  Attackers left hand grabs lapel then punches with his right hand.  
#1.  Both hands come up at same time doing outward tendon blocks to both of attackers arms grabbing the wrists slightly with pinky fingers and thumbs.  
#2.  At same time as #1 lower your center and step left foot back and to the right slightly (offcentering) and pulling attackers upper body forward. (offbalancing).  Slide right foot into tee stance.
#3.  Right foot kick to groin.
#4.  At same time over hook attackers right arm with your left arm pulling him into a throat strike/grab with thumb and index and middle finger.
#5.  At same time with left foot back drop weight and rotate to the left taking attacker to the ground by throat.  There is a finish also but you get the idea.
Jerry Guard
Kajukenbo Tum Pai Brown/Black Sash under Prof. Steve Larson          My everyday stance is my fighting stance.  My fighting stance is my everyday stance.

Offline D-Man

• Blue Belt
  • It's all about the BIG PICTURE
    • SMA website
Re:Key aspects of Tum Pai
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2004, 04:02:00 AM »
Well said and good example.

Two of the main aspects of Kajukenbo Tum Pai are to off center yourself and off balance your attacker.

Do you think that you could more acurately say "Two of the main aspects of Kajukenbo Tum Pai are to control the center line and off balance your attacker bydestroying his structure ?

Esentially "off centering yourself" is controlling the centerline of your opponent, but it leaves out the aspect of you using your center line to attack.  The same with off balancing, but this is done by destroying the opponents structure.

I am respectfully interested in your thoughts on this.

Offline guarded

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2004, 10:32:02 AM »
Q.  Do you think that you could more acurately say "Two of the main aspects of Kajukenbo Tum Pai are to control the center line and off balance your attacker bydestroying his structure ?
A. I don't know how much more accurate it is, it is more precise though.  I meant off-center and off balance in a pretty broad sense.  It's all about control whether it's controlling your center line or controlling the attackers balance/structure.  

Q. Esentially "off centering yourself" is controlling the centerline of your opponent, but it leaves out the aspect of you using your center line to attack.  The same with off balancing, but this is done by destroying the opponents structure.  
A. You can move, close or block/cover your center line and still have clear shots to the attackers center.  I think controlling the attackers balance/structure gives you more control over his center line then off centering yourself would.  

« Last Edit: January 14, 2004, 10:33:52 AM by guarded »
Jerry Guard
Kajukenbo Tum Pai Brown/Black Sash under Prof. Steve Larson          My everyday stance is my fighting stance.  My fighting stance is my everyday stance.

Offline D-Man

• Blue Belt
    • SMA website
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2004, 12:37:38 AM »
Thanks for your responce Mr. Guard.  So, I'm interested in your opinion on the key aspects of Tai Chi.  I would sum it up in two words; balance and harmony.  This addresses the central equilibrium (internal straightness or zhong ding) and the unification of the whole body, along with your opponents.  What say you?

Offline guarded

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2004, 07:35:47 PM »
I think you summed it up pretty good D-man.  Although I feel I have a pretty good grasp on Tum Pai I am but an infant when it comes to Tai Chi.  IMO there is no other Martial Art that gives you a better base to work from then tai Chi.  Whether it is striking, voiding or just doing stuff in everyday life that requires a good base/structure/balance.  The flowing and circular nature  along with internal aspects makes it a very harmonious art.
Jerry Guard

Offline D-Man

• Blue Belt
    • SMA website
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2004, 10:59:59 PM »
Thanks Mr. Guard, good luck in your training.