Author Topic: Women Fighters  (Read 11084 times)

Offline Sifu Sin Bin

• Holy Cow, I am a
  • Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • YOU SUCK, TRAIN HARDER
    • check it out
Re: Women Fighters
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2005, 10:45:18 PM »
For the Annual tournament, there is always a fair number of adult lady lower rank fighters, but if this is your first exposure to a kajukenbo tournament you should be forewarned that they are usually some of the most exciting fights. You may want to prepare by fighting green belt men at semi heavy contact level, and wear a cup. Our ladies like to kick that area the most :o  Have Fun and I'll see you there 8)
Professor Rob Peladeau
8th Degree - KSDI #672
Loyal Student and lifelong friend of
Grand Master Emil Bautista
NorCal Headquarters of K.S.D.I. Ambassador

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2005, 12:34:11 PM »
Yes, indeed there are many color belt fighters. You will have plenty of fun.

Bring your camera and camcorder. You will witness things that you would NOT normally see in the local tournaments. In fact those that are world sport champion fighters were amazed at the aggressiveness of the lower ranks.

Many things that would be considered excessive are not in Kajukenbo tournaments.

See you in July.

Soifua,
Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

Offline DProsser

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • Psalm 144:1
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2005, 02:33:03 PM »
I will be competing in some local competions here in Vegas to "get my feet wet."
I have competed in many sports, but this is truly causing me to train harder than I have
in any other sport. 
I wish I would have found Kajukenbo sooner.  I have been in law Enforcement for three years and
it makes sense to be in Martial Arts.

I love this Cafe and the pictures are incredible.  They inspires me.

I love the saying "You suck, Train harder!"  I think the saying was created for me ;) 

Looking forward to July,

Deb
Deb Prosser
GM Bobby Rimando, Instr.
SGM Alex Rimando
Rimando Martial Arts, Las Vegas, Nv

Offline kadena

• White Belt
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2005, 12:45:06 PM »
Here's what little information I have about some women fighters. It comes from a handout from our school.

Pauline Short - In 1975 she was named one of "Black Belt Yearbook's" top ten women fighters. She and her sister, Paula, founded a school named Karate for Women in Portland, OR in 1965. One of their first black belt students was Janessa Kruse.

Janessa Kruse - Began studying at Karate For Women in 1977 and earned her black belt in 3 years. The following year she opened Anderson-Kruse Karate Studio with Dan Anderson and received a black belt from him in American Freestyle karate. In 1980/81 she studied Kajukenbo with Barbara Bones. Kruse was also a major tournament competitor and in 1981 was named one of America's top ten women fighters by "Karate Illustrated".

Barbara Bones - Competed in tournaments in the 1970's and was ranked as one of the top female competitors in the United States. In 1980 she toured with Janessa Kruse.

I've heard that Professor Colleen Gragen, Sigung Bones' first black belt, was also a fierce competitor. Perhaps one of the students from Hand to Hand who post here can add some more information about her.
Janette, green belt, Gaylord Method, Seven Star Women's Kung Fu

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2005, 01:57:54 PM »
Kadena:

Thank you for your post. Great information.

Have a great weekend. 8)

Soifua,
Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

Offline rockatear

• Blue Belt
  • "Study your teacher carefully", Professor Bones
    • JustThink.Us
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2005, 11:54:09 PM »
Okay folks.  I'd be remiss not to speak out here.  Hand to Hand Self-Defense is loaded with women fighters.  As mentioned, Sigung Bones is a tremendous fighter.  She is part of our lineage as she was Professor Coleen Gragen's teacher.  Heretoafter, I will refer to Professor Gragen as Sifu Coleen as that was her wish before she died in April 2002.  Sifu Coleen was and still is well-known as one of the best fighters regardless if her opponent is male or female.  She is legendary.  You did not want to be hit by this woman anywhere on your body.  Sigung Bones who occasionally travels from New York to visit, instruct and train us is so awesome that she can just stand still and energetically knock you out if she so chooses.  I truly learned how to breath while being punched as Sigung Bones was teaching us a basic reverse punch...I was her uki.

Hand to Hand also sent a team to the last Olympic Gay Games and practically all came back with medals, many of them gold.  At our 20th Anniversary celebration in May of 2001 many of Sifu Coleen's Black Belts attended and flew in from all over the states.  I believe there were a little over 25 on stage and I think Sifu Coleen certified over 32 black belts in her lifetime, two of which I believe are male Black Belts.  Fighters that I know that will give you a run for your money at Hand to Hand:

Sifu Jen Resnick (our head instructor), Sifu Sonya Richardson, Sifu Ana Perez, Sifu Vanessa Williams, Sifu Saskia, Sifu Aminta, Sifu Lisa, Sifu Lisel, Sifu Sculyer, Sifu Cici, Sifu Joyce, Sifu Cindy, Sifu Aarin, Sifu Deborah, Sifu Cory, just to name some of the black belts at Hand to Hand.  And there are some senior students and lower belts that no one wants a punch, kick or throwdown from.  I can throw a mean punch myself, but hey, no where in the league above.
Shirley Phelps, blue blelt, Hand to Hand Kajukenbo Self-Defense Center, Oakland, CA, www.handtohandkajukenbo.com, Gaylord Method, Chief Head Instructors:  Sifus Jen Resnick and Sonya Richardson

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2005, 12:16:11 PM »
Per Grand Master Joe Davis:

Kajukenbo women fighers of the late sixties and early seventies: Joyce Davis, Pat Short, Lily Uequidez, Nancy Miller, Malia Bernal (Dacasco), Mickie Rowe and Mehealani Morales.

Being that there were only a few black belt women the division was brown/black. In addition, hardly any to no pads existed during the competitions.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2005, 04:47:01 PM by Kajushodan »
Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.