Author Topic: Kajukenbo training  (Read 8054 times)

Richard

Kajukenbo training
« on: January 08, 2003, 01:10:19 AM »
Hi everybody,

I have a question to the kajukenbo experts.
I am an Kenpo Karate (Ed Parkers system) student/instructor in the Netherlands.  I have also some backgrounds in Jeet Kune Do, Doce Pares Eskrima and Jiu Jitsu. I got interested in kajukenbo after reading several articles in different magazines. The problem is that here in The Netherlands there are no schools on Kajukenbo. I got my hands on the Mastering Kajukenbo instructional tapes by Gary Forbach and I train very intensive with them.  With 10 years of experience in American Kenpo karate it is not very difficult to master those techniques as they appear on the tapes and I would like to learn more about this system. I learned that Kajukenbo is a very practical and effective art, I love to teach some of those techniques to my group as a supplement to the standard Kenpo Curriculum. My students love those techniques, but I never call them Kajukenbo since I have no official license to teach this art. I am seriously concidering the possibilities to introduce Kajukenbo in the Netherlands and I wonder if there are any possibilities to teach more about this art. What can you suggest me to do? Are there special instructors courses for instructors in other styles?

thank you very much for your help on this subject

kind regards,

Richard
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by 1054443600 »

Offline John Bishop

• Senior Black Belt
  • Black Belt
  • Seek Knowledge, Not Rank
Re: Kajukenbo training
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2003, 07:08:20 AM »
Richard:

As far as I know, even though there are Kajukenbo videos availiable to learn from, no Kajukenbo instructor is certifying or promoting anyone from just the video training.
I personally see this as a good thing.  Some systems have video training and testing programs where someone could actually become a black belt without ever being on the mat with a instructor.  To me that is not what the martial arts is about, and it is detrimental to the quality and reputation of one's art.
There are also others who will cross rank a individual just to have a representative in another country, or to collect more association dues.  Again this is something I do not believe in.

I know this does not help your cause, and I'm sure most of us would like to see Kajukenbo introduced to the Netherlands, but not at any cost.

I do agree that someone with a black belt in another style, especially Kenpo, could learn Kajukenbo techniques from good videos.  And the Forbach videos are excellent (I'm biased, since Prof. Forbach is my instructor).  
But, I feel that there has to be a relationship established with a instructor, and hands on training, because everything cannot be learned from video.   This does not have to be on a daily or even weekly basis, but it does have to exist.  If it is possible for you to travel once or twice a year to train with a Kajukenbo instructor, then you could probably supplement that training with video.  And before any certification could be done, you would have to demonstrate your knowledge of Kajukenbo in a black belt examination.

This is just my opinion, and others here may have differant views.

John Bishop  8th Degree-Original Method 
Under Grandmaster Gary Forbach
K.S.D.I. # 478, FMAA

"You watch, once I'm gone, all the snakes will start popping their heads up!"  Sijo Emperado

Offline Rob Poelking

• Sifu
  • Administrator
  • Brown Belt
  • Kajukenbo Forever
    • Anderson Martial Arts
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2003, 08:10:59 AM »
I am not aware of any Original Method presence in Europe (Original Method or Emperado's Method is what is demonstrated on the Forbach tapes) but if I am not mistaken there is a significant representation of Wun Hop Kuen Do in Germany. WHKD is a major branch of Kajukenbo. If traveling to the US is not a possibility, perhaps Germany would be another option.
Rob Poelking, Black Belt, Original Method
Black belt under Sigung Ray Anderson
http://www.ohiokajukenbo.com

Offline John Bishop

• Senior Black Belt
  • Black Belt
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2003, 12:12:05 PM »
Prof. Angel Garcia has several schools (original method) in Europe, most being in Spain and Portugal.  I will lookup his website and email information.
K.S.D.I. # 478, FMAA

"You watch, once I'm gone, all the snakes will start popping their heads up!"  Sijo Emperado

Offline ThunderingHammers

• White Belt
  • Sophistication Is No More Than Simplicity Compound
    • Action Kenpo Karate
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2003, 01:12:22 PM »
Thank you very much for the very honest replys so far on my topic.
I totaly agree that it would not be a good cause just to be ranked with only study experience from the video's. I also do not wish that. I would feel I was fooling myself to be ranked with only training experience with video tapes. I too, do believe that a relationship with a qualified instructor has to exist.
Personaly I was thinking that maybe it would be possible to have a meeting with a good instructor twice a year to train intensive for a few weeks and learn as much as possible. Than by returning home to the Netherlands, train very hard with the material I have gained.
Maybe it would be possible to registrate my training on video so the Instructor can give me tips and advice so I can work with that only to return for another meeting in the same year.  
That is a little of what I have in Mind.

Greetings,

Richard
Black Belt American Kenpo Karate (Ed Parkers Method)

Please visit our schools webpage: www.kenpokarate.nl

Offline John Bishop

• Senior Black Belt
  • Black Belt
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2003, 02:44:32 PM »
Prof. Angel Garcia Soldado is the European Representative for Kajukenbo.  Besides Spain, he has schools in France, Switzerland, Monaco, and Belgium.  

His website is: go.to/Ksdi

His email is: ksdieuropa@teleline.es
K.S.D.I. # 478, FMAA

• White Belt
    • Action Kenpo Karate
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2003, 11:27:50 PM »
Belgium would be a great option for me to train Kajukenbo. It is close to the Netherlands and I could travel weekly to Belgium to train. If this school is approved by Angel Garcia than it has to be a school wich instruct the orinal method, since Angel Garcia is the representative of Europe. And because he is, I have to contact him to discuss this matter. And maybe it would be best besides training in Belgium to travel to his school once in a while. First I am going to find out where the school in Belgium is located, then I am going to contact them.
Thank you very much for your help and advice, and I am sure going to keep you informed.

Richard

• White Belt
    • Action Kenpo Karate
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2003, 11:36:06 PM »
I am planning a trip to Boston in July this year to Participate at the International Karate Championships wich are organized by the I.K.K.A. (International Kenpo karate Association). Does anybody know if there is a Kajukenbo school located somewhere near Boston wich teaches the Original Method? So I can visit that school to learn and combine this trip.

Thank you,

Richard

sigung Ray NJ

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2003, 04:46:54 PM »
Yes there is a Sensei by the name of Sensei MARCUS DeValentino's Martial Arts studio he teach many arts and kajukenbo ::)

• White Belt
    • Action Kenpo Karate
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2003, 01:46:17 AM »
Hi everybody,

So far I wanna thank everybody who helped me and gave me advise on how to deal with my problem concerning Kajukenbo training. Few of you have contacted me by E-mail to give me some tips and advice and I realy appreciate it.
So far I have contacted prof. Angel Garcia from Spain who appears to be the Representative for Kajukenbo in Europe. Thank you, Sigung John Bishop, for that advice. I allready knew from Angel Garcia by reading Budo International which is a Worldwide spread magazine made in Spain. But first my intention was to contact Gary Forbach on this subject, since I study his tapes. But I still do not have his correct E-mail adress. I have a lot of different adresses from different people, but none of them seem to be operative. If someone have his correct E-mail adress, I still would like to have it since I also want his oppinion and advice on what I am doing.
Angel Garcia is very possitive about my enthousiasm for the Kajukenbo system. He has a representative in Belgium and this person is going to study with Angel Garcia in Spain next week. Angel Garcia promissed me to talk to him about me and he will give him my telephonenumber so he can contact me. It is possible for me to travel to Belgium once or twice a month to study and I am going to talk about that to this Belgium Instructor once he contacted me. I am also intending to travel once or twice a year to Spain to study by Angel Garcia, since he is the European Representative. I do not wish to rush things, but I hope that I will be able to introduce this art in my country (the Netherlands) in the near future. It is a great art and I found it highly effective.
It appears to be that maybe I allready met Angel Garcia once in 1997. The European Kenpo Karate Championships took place in Amsterdam that year and Angel Garcia together with his wife were there. His wife compete in Forms and Freestyle since she was, at that moment, a Blue Belt in Parkers Kenpo.
So far, my update on how I am doing in Kajukenbo progress. Thanks again for everybody's help and if someone have the right E-mail adress of Gary Forbach, I would be realy glad to have it...

Greetings,

Richard.

Offline John Bishop

• Senior Black Belt
  • Black Belt
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2003, 05:35:11 AM »
I'm going to have lunch with Prof. Forbach today.  I'll mention this to him.  You can email him at: gforbach@shape-up.com
K.S.D.I. # 478, FMAA