Author Topic: Behind every Strong Man theres.....  (Read 4371 times)

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
Behind every Strong Man theres.....
« on: January 18, 2004, 09:53:34 PM »
I was curious do any of you have any information on the wives of our five founders? What were they like?

I've always been told that behind every strong man theres a great women. ;D

Wow they must have had a lot of patience.

Hopefully, our senior belts will be able to enlighten us with some great stories. ;D

Thank you in advance.
Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
Re:Behind every Strong Man theres.....
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2004, 02:30:18 PM »
Wow-I'm surprised no one had any interesting stories.

Ok lets rephrase this question, shall we.  ;D

How about this, what great women are currently backing great instructors of today?
 ???

Soifua,
Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

Offline Chief Instructor

• Moderators
  • Brown Belt
    • Hokkien Martial Arts
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2004, 04:00:46 PM »
One person that sticks in my mind is Mrs. Sheila Buell who is Professor Martin Buell's wife. Without her hard work and great ideas, Universal Kempo Karate Schools Association would not be what it is today.
Sigung Andrew Evans, KSDI #888
Hokkien Martial Arts, Topeka, KS
http://www.TopekaKarate.com

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2004, 11:24:33 AM »
She's gets us good when were bad but when were good she gives the kinda love only Moms can give. She has no children of her own but I believe we are all her kids regardless of our ages.  ;D

Most folks may even think she is mean but shes not she doesn't want to spoil us. ;)

Some of the ways she provides for us is by clothing us w/gi's and shirts.  And protects us w/cups and mouth pieces. ;D

She provides a roof over our head w/pictures and a big mirror. She even brings a teacher for us to learn from a GM too. ;D

I enjoy her because when I'm bad she makes sure I know it. Even when I'm good she doesn't say too much cause she doesn't want my head to get fatter than it already is.  ;)

This woman is the "True Great One" Mrs. Betty Bautista.

Soifua,

Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

Offline Chief Instructor

• Moderators
  • Brown Belt
    • Hokkien Martial Arts
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2004, 12:42:47 PM »
Good post Serene! A lot of the wives that do not train do more than just help their instructor husbands keep it together.

I'm going to add a little more about Mrs. Sheila Buell. When I was with Universal, many of the Chief Instructors and Head Instructors would often call her for business advice, ask questions about the association, and even personal advice. Sometimes if they wanted to suggest an idea to Professor Martin Buell, they would also run the idea by Mrs. Buell first. She always told it like it is, good or bad. After talking to her, I could tell that the instructors were often very happy and/or relived. Even though she did not hold black belt rank, she was highly respected. Now if you made her mad, watch out...

When my wife (she also trains so I better give her credit on two fronts) is confused about how to do something administratively or how to act as a Chief Instructor's wife, I ask her, "What would Mrs. Buell do?" That usually provides inspiration to come up with the right action.

Respectfully,
Andrew
Sigung Andrew Evans, KSDI #888
Hokkien Martial Arts, Topeka, KS
http://www.TopekaKarate.com

Offline Rosy

• BlackBelt
  • White Belt
  • Kajukenbo 4-Life
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2004, 01:18:20 AM »
Okay, I have to say this.  My Instructor's fiance is an awsome woman.  She has been the total mom for me.  When I hurt she was there to incourage me.  In fact for weeks before my belt test I would go to the dojo every morning and train.  Every morning she knew I would be there and she would call me to come over I  would go to my instructor's house and she would feed me  toast with honey, my favorite, and have a pot of tea ready to drink.  She helped me with my meditation and taught me a lot about healing myself and using my female energy.  I have laughed with her and cried with her. She is one of my best friends, my sister and my karate mom, and my cheering squad.  She cooks her but off for all our parties and she makes my Instructor happy, which is by far the most important thing I think she does.  Davina Hunter, Professor James William's fiance.
Through the fist way, one can attain long life and happiness.

Offline Brandi Ross

• Global Moderator
  • Brown Belt
  • Always a student.....
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2004, 02:50:08 PM »
It's nice to read things about how supportive family, friends, fiances, wives can be.  It goes to show that there is a balance.  Everyone needs a good solid foundation of love, support, etc.  I think that Rosy, Serene, and Andrew Evans all have wonderful things to say.   It shows how important these people are in their lives.  Way to go and share your stories.  Thanks so much.

aloha,
brandi
Brandi Ross
Black Belt
Kingi's Kajukenbo
GM Rick Kingi
formerly under Sigung Alex Cadang