Author Topic: Re:What are your goals as a women Black belt  (Read 6827 times)

Offline Brandi Ross

• Global Moderator
  • Brown Belt
  • Always a student.....
Re:What are your goals as a women Black belt
« on: February 04, 2004, 07:11:16 PM »
M,

That's a great question to propose.  I think that it has been such a goal that I have not thought beyond that moment when I am to receive my Black Belt.  Sigung would like to see me teach more in the dojo with his sons after he retires.  I would like to work with more women's self-defense and Special Olympics.  That would be something worth sharing, even if it's just basics.

Personally, my goal is to attain the Black Belt.  At that point, I will need to look at things and see in what direction I am heading.  Only time will tell

Brandi
Brandi Ross
Black Belt
Kingi's Kajukenbo
GM Rick Kingi
formerly under Sigung Alex Cadang

Offline Brandi Ross

• Global Moderator
  • Brown Belt
  • Always a student.....
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2004, 07:24:55 PM »
I was just reading what I wrote and I think I would also like to be able to spend time broadening my horizons.  I hope to get more exposure to other arts and such while I keep my home in Kajukenbo.  Even as a Black Belt, I always want to continue learning and improving myself in both the martial arts and in life.

Aloha,
Brandi
Brandi Ross
Black Belt
Kingi's Kajukenbo
GM Rick Kingi

Kaj_minn

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2004, 11:56:40 AM »
M,  ;)

Must be nice to sit around and hang by the beach.   Go ahead and take the schools you run them any way  :o  Can I still work for you?  How about getting a school in Calif.  I'll teach there.   ;)  

Chris

Sifu #52

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2004, 01:06:10 PM »
Dang  ???

Is there no women in here or no comments  ??? What  ???  Keep it up M   ;D  I know your going shopping right  ;D  Thanks for making a comment Brandi... ;)

Sifu #52

napashifu

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2004, 02:22:53 PM »
One more thing about Sigung Pat and that is
she thrived in  a school where very few students, male or female made it to blue belt let alone survied to black belt 8).
 aloha
mike.

ps.
warning ;) Sigung Pat likes to talk story, so if you ask her questions about what her traing was like as colored belt and what she did to make it better don't plan on going anywhre for a while.  ;D ;D

-
« Last Edit: February 09, 2004, 08:44:33 PM by napashifu »

Offline Sifu Terry McBride

• Global Moderator
  • Blue Belt
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2004, 02:59:56 PM »
Sigung Pat, you're pretty amazing.  Challenges keep life interesting, you surely faced yours and came out on top.

For me one important goal is to get more women into Kajukenbo.  Even if they don't make black belt, if they only stay in for a few years they will better themselves in ways they probably never thought possible as well as learning how to defend themselves.  I think its enpowering and teach a ladies Kajukenbo class.  I know some of you don't agree with ladies classes, agree to disagree then.

When I started studying Kajukenbo (July will be 20 years ago) women would come and go much more then
the guys.  My ladies class is structured a little different then the guys but on the whole they're learning all the guys are as well as the attacks a women is more likely to encounter.  They're comfortable enough with themselves now some come into the regular class and work out with the men and guys come in and work out in the ladies class.

So for me, growing as a martial artist and getting more females into this great art are my goals.

Terry McBride
Terry McBride, 5th degree under Professor Joel Purvis, under Grandmaster Emil Bautista
There is no planet sun or star could hold you, if you but knew what you are.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2004, 02:48:32 PM »
Thank Sigung Pat and Sifu Terry great stories. ;D

Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

Offline Mercedes

• White Belt
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2004, 06:28:40 PM »
The Black Belt Run each year got progressively longer.  Eventually it ended up being somewhere between 15 to 20 miles, part of it being an offroad trail run through some hills and a long stretch through what I called “Death Valley Road” – you could see the heat waves rising from the road pavement.  I thought, since I have to do this run anyway, wouldn’t it be good to be able to do it and not hate life afterwards!   ::)  

Wow!  This post brought back so many memories.  I think I did one of the runs with you back in the early 90's.  I began training at Reyes Kempo Karate after getting my brown belt under Joe Tarango.  I was 14 or 15 and too young to test for my black belt so my father convinced me I should get a variety of experiences in the mean time.  It was so akward to come into a new school with an upper rank.  It's funny how many little things can be different from one school to the next.  

As testing time approached GM Reyes told me I'd be testing.  I was rather confused because I knew I was to young.  He told me I couldn't test for a black belt, but he'd have me test for a brown/black.  (I don't know if such a thing had happened before).  I was caught a bit off guard especially when I found out about the 13 mile run. I had never run a significant distance.  

The day of the run we were given a hand drawn map and the beginning of it said to go up a hill and down the other side.  I started out at a slow pace because I knew there were 13 miles ahead.  I lost sight of everyone else as they went up the hill and as I came down the hill, there were a couple of paths.  I made a guess about which one to take, but when I got to the bottom I wasn't sure where to go, all I saw was trees.  I ran back up the hill and tried a different path.  I did this a few times and began to fear I was lost.    I eventually found my way through the trees  to a water slide park.  It was like some surreal movie.  I remember the seemingly endless road you described as "Death Valley Road" and I remember what seemed like forever later running through an orchard or vineyard with someone that I think might have been you.  

I was so mortified and embarressed about getting lost I tried to block the experience from memory.  I admire that you turned it into what you did.  I certainly didn't go that direction with it.

Offline Mercedes

• White Belt
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2004, 03:11:35 PM »
S. Pat,

I'm currently teaching 3rd grade in Napa.  I love teaching and love my school.  My husband and I live in Vallejo.  I've been happily married for a little over 5 years.

I haven't been involved in kajukenbo since highschool, though.  I took a break when I went away to college because there were no schools in Santa Cruz, and by the time I was back in town it felt like too long had passed.

How are you doing?

-Mercedes

Professor Ruth Luka Ramos

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2004, 05:33:22 AM »
Aloha...
          My goal was to be able to share all the knowledge that I had learned to our students.  Fortunately I have been able to do that.  For over thirty years I have been able to teach our students the art of Kajukenbo. They have learned also to be competitive in tournament competitions.  They have also excelled in their endeavors as competitors.  
      Our sons (Chance-Wade Ramos) have been very successful in competition in Kumite.  OUr students have also excelled and we are quite proud of each and everyone of our students....whether they compete in tournaments or not.  Our job as Instructors is just to teach them the art of Self-Defense.  I'm also glad to say that currently we have a grandson that is a top competitor in the 9 year old division.  He competes in both Kumite and Kata.
      Watching the next generation learn and be able to compete, and knowing that you were the instrument in their learning makes it all worthwhile.  I know that my husband ...Grand Master Sixto Ramos, Jr. and I, along with our other black belts are proud that we are able to teach the art of Kajukenbo.

Professor Ruth "Luka" Prince-Ramos

Offline Chief Instructor

• Moderators
  • Brown Belt
    • Hokkien Martial Arts
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2004, 12:10:51 PM »
I'm speaking for my wife Sheryl aka Kempomama because I know she doesn't brag about herself enough. So here goes...

In the last few years she has added more weapons training through Modern Arnis. I am proud to say that she is the FIRST American woman promoted to black belt in Modern Arnis by Dr. Remy Presas Jr.

Her goal was to get good but in my mind, she will always be one of the best.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2004, 12:13:15 PM by Andrew Evans »
Sigung Andrew Evans, KSDI #888
Hokkien Martial Arts, Topeka, KS
http://www.TopekaKarate.com

Offline Brandi Ross

• Global Moderator
  • Brown Belt
  • Always a student.....
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2004, 01:53:45 PM »
That's awesome. Congratulations to Sheryl.

Aloha,
Brandi
Brandi Ross
Black Belt
Kingi's Kajukenbo
GM Rick Kingi

Offline kempomama

• BlackBelt
  • Yellow Belt
    • Hokkien Martial Arts
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2004, 02:16:16 PM »
That bad boy! He came home for lunch and left this on the screen. ::)  I would have written sooner but I couldn't figure out to log out. Anyway, thanks Brandi. I'll deal with Andrew later...

What I love about our art is how we are encouraged to "get a variety of experiences" in other arts. As a woman, I realize that I will be taken to the ground by some overweight gorilla and so I studied brazilian jujitsu while Andrew was going to all those modern arnis camps.

Andrew finally convinced me that as a woman, grabbing any available weapon is also an effective means of self-defense. So I finally studied more arnis. It's too bad I never meet GM Remy Presas but I enjoyed having his son and Dr. Matias over last weekend.

Aloha,
Sheryl
Sifu Sheryl Baber Evans
Hokkien Martial Arts, Topeka, Kansas