Author Topic: What other people think of Kajukenbo...  (Read 29583 times)

Jking

What other people think of Kajukenbo...
« on: February 19, 2004, 05:23:56 PM »
This is a very popular website (listed in black belt magazine), and alot of good information comes out of here... despite the strong opinions of many on the site you can find alot of good insights. I decided I should ask what people thought of Kajukenbo, and these are the results

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9609

Offline Sifu Sin Bin

• Holy Cow, I am a
  • Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • YOU SUCK, TRAIN HARDER
    • check it out
Re:What other people think of Kajukenbo...
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2004, 01:50:38 PM »
You should post that response on the bullshido forum also. I would be intersted to see if the pinhead would rise to the challenge, I might even be inclined to make a quick trip to the islands to watch that blood bath.
Professor Rob Peladeau
8th Degree - KSDI #672
Loyal Student and lifelong friend of
Grand Master Emil Bautista
NorCal Headquarters of K.S.D.I. Ambassador

Offline Gints Klimanis

• Moderators
  • Black Belt
    • Gentlemen's Fighting Club
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2004, 04:45:27 PM »
Gentlemen,

bullshido is the unmoderated equivalent of the trash talk section on this site.   Please don't take postings from the essentially anonymous so seriously.  

A "blood bath", fantasy or not,  is no way to settle an idle threat.  If the blood is yours, you lose against a nobody challenger.  If the blood is the challenger's, then he'll simply spread the word about what will happen when entering your school.

Sincerely,

Gints

"We do not condone the use of a toilet seat as a deadly weapon"
Go Shin Jutsu Kenpo, 3rd Degree Black Belt Prof. Richard Lewis
Bono JKD/Kajukenbo, Prof. John Bono, San Jose, CA
Baltic Dog, Dog Brothers Martial Arts

Offline Sifu Sin Bin

• Holy Cow, I am a
  • Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • YOU SUCK, TRAIN HARDER
    • check it out
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2004, 05:20:13 PM »
The fact still remains, and I believe it to be the general feeling of most on this forum, is if you are going to talk smack, you should be able to back it up.
  As much trash talking as I do, I still wouldn't put someone down and not be willing to stand behind my words. Now on the other hand, if I do put someone down, I am more than willing to put my money where my mouth is, and that is exactly what that pinhead who made those comments should do or he should shut his pie hole. And besides, no one is taking him seriously, we are just stating the facts.
Professor Rob Peladeau
8th Degree - KSDI #672

Offline Gints Klimanis

• Moderators
  • Black Belt
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2004, 07:47:16 PM »
> Gerry Scott wrote:
>Grandmaster George Iversen.  In his prime, he was >the 1972 AAU Hawaii Champion, first professional >weapons champion of Hawaii at the 1974 Pro AM,

Prof. Scott,

What is "weapons champion?"  Is that solo forms
or sparring?  If the latter, I'd really like to hear a bit more about it.

Thank you,

Gints Klimanis

Offline Gints Klimanis

• Moderators
  • Black Belt
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2004, 08:27:42 PM »
>The fact still remains, and I believe it to be the general >feeling of most on this forum, is if you are going to talk >smack, you should be able to back it up.

Hello Sifu Sin Bin,

The statement was posted on the Internet.  So, one
must fight Internet style.  Some common methods are :  1) ignore
2) counter logically by laying the burden of proof on
the contester
3) call the contester a bunch of names because it's easier than 2) and more satisfying than 1)

>  The Internet troublemaker wrote:
>who’s students couldn’t fight their way past a Brazilan >Jujitsu white belt.  

So, the counter would be:

"Are you saying that every Brazilian Jujitsu white belt can beat every one of this instructor's students?"

Internet fighting can be fun, too.

Chuckle,

Gints

Offline Gints Klimanis

• Moderators
  • Black Belt
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2004, 08:45:04 PM »
I would like to say that I am sorry to read that one of our Kajukenbo friends has been undeservedly maligned.
You guys like to settle things on the mat.  I prefer harder surfaces.  Where's my steam roller ?

Offline Rock

• BlackBelt
  • White Belt
    • Hawaiian Kajukenbo Association
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2004, 09:34:11 PM »
As a student of GM Iversen, I read the post with some reservations  >:(

I would figure the best way to deal with it is to just ignore the comments. Everyone has a right to an opinion, no matter how off-base it is. And it's not as if the poster is going out of his way to post here.  I also took a look at some of his other posts, and they all seem about the same, general criticisms and negative comments are his M.O.

Am I upset by what I read, hell yeah. But I'm not gonna lose any sleep from someone who hides behind an anonymous screen name and slings mud from afar.

...and that's all I'm gonna say about that.

Noel Araki
Hawaiian Kajukenbo Association
Mililani, Hawaii
www.hawaiiankajukenbo.com

Offline Sifu Sin Bin

• Holy Cow, I am a
  • Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • YOU SUCK, TRAIN HARDER
    • check it out
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2004, 01:16:15 AM »
I in no way condone or am I suggesting just beating the crap out of people, no matter how enjoyable it may be, ;) I am merely stating that if one is to comment on the fact that this person couldn't beat a BJJ whitebelt, then let that person be the first one to challenge his assumption.
 In other words, I would not say "let us beat up a guy because he like Fords over Chevy's" No, I would say" Put your piece of junk on the starting line and let's race." In other words, a proper response to a proper statement.  If you talk about my fighting skills you better be willing to test them yourselves.    I think we could all live with that, couldn't we?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2004, 01:19:48 AM by Sifu Sin Bin »
Professor Rob Peladeau
8th Degree - KSDI #672

Karazenpo

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2004, 02:04:36 PM »
In other words, I interpret Sifu Rob's comment as this:

"Don't let your mouth write any checks that your asp can't cash". ;D

Offline Sifu Sin Bin

• Holy Cow, I am a
  • Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • YOU SUCK, TRAIN HARDER
    • check it out
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2004, 03:37:33 PM »
Amen Brother!
Professor Rob Peladeau
8th Degree - KSDI #672

Offline McKay

• BlackBelt
  • White Belt
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2004, 02:14:14 PM »
How about this quote from "Omega"?  

"Kajukenbo used to be good unfortunately, I've found, it took a great idea and then blew it."

I have to think that he is saying that Kajukenbo started out to be a great system, but he feels that we aren't doing a good job of sticking to our roots.   This is really something to pay attention to.  I know that we all like to change little things and add this or that to our own flavor of Kajukenbo, (and by the way, that's one of the great things about Kajukenbo) but it is up to all of us to be careful to keep seperate what is original and what is a modification.

Originally, Kajukenbo's greatest asset was the method of training.  They used live opponents, so the techniques were tried, tested and proven before being passsed on.  Students got real combat experience,  not just point-sparring and kata experience.

So, as a group, are we teaching point-sparring and katas, or real Kajukenbo?
B McKay
2nd dan
Sigung Chris Valdez
Tucson, AZ

Offline Sifu Sin Bin

• Holy Cow, I am a
  • Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • YOU SUCK, TRAIN HARDER
    • check it out
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2004, 04:29:28 PM »
  IMNSHO I think what he was saying was just the opposite. It started out as a live art, and because people get so hung up on tradition they stop inovating and it can become a dead art. I don't think that has happened to our art as a whole but he may have witnessed a school where that had happened.
  I agree with what Mckay had to say about the training becoming watered down though. So many schools focus on the quanity of  students and not the quality. I believe that the watered down training of todays super schools, which is what most people are exposed to, is what outsiders are basing their opinions on. They don't get to see the remnant of the old time Kaju guys beating and banging in someone's garage. I could go on for hours but for now I digress.
Professor Rob Peladeau
8th Degree - KSDI #672

Offline Gints Klimanis

• Moderators
  • Black Belt
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2004, 04:33:13 PM »
Does kajukenbo tournament sparring look any different
than Shotokan or TKD or kickboxing in general?  I don't think that any of these types of events showcase the Kajukenbo Arts.  I've only seen a few types of  lives events (seminars to K-1 in Vegas).

What would I suggest?  Something that would test the categories of arts, either in isolated events or mixed up:   Grabs, Single punches counters, multiple punch counters, weapons defense, multiple man defense.
 Bareknuckled fighting, mixed weapons (training weapons and helmets, though), and unarmed defense against weapons.  This would pare the ranks, but at least the Art would have a better test than kicktouching with gloves for points or solo forms.  

Offline Claudio

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • Empty your mind
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2004, 05:21:39 PM »
Kajukenbo is a great art and fighting system. For the larger schools to draw in the money and be an instructor first an foremost with no extra job is to do the tournament style martial (way). I also have to point out that training in BJJ, when you are against an opponent who is better than you, bigger/stonger and faster than you. You can train at full speed full power and you will only probably leave a little bit sore.(there is always that tap). When your banging (keeping safety in mind as much as possible)"vale tudo gloves, mouth piece and may be some shin guards and elbow pads" would be close to all you would need to add realism. But if you go against the same type of opponent with standup strikes your going to leave with a lot more than being sore. Thats the way it would have to be trained to make it Live. You can't always train with someone your size, in the street it doesn't matter we all know that. I stopped teaching publicly to work on this to find that medium. I'm still working on it. I've seen a few of the watered down schools, There hearts are in the right place, They just might need to reach back a little bit, for some old school. I love this art

Just some words I wanted to share
Prof. Claude "Claudio" Lawson III
Ronin Kombat Systems / American Kajukembo Assoc

Kajukembo/Kajukenbo(GM Davis)/ Brazilian Jiujitsu/Kick Boxing/ Practical Weapons/ JKD