Author Topic: Black Belt Test what does it mean? How Important are they?  (Read 2739 times)

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • "Accept the things to which fate binds you"
    • Bono's Jeet Kune Do and Kajukenbo
Black Belt Test what does it mean? How Important are they?
« on: April 29, 2005, 08:27:28 AM »
Black Belt Test what does it mean? How Important are they?

Many people look at a Black Belt test like a quiz in high school.  If they miss it they can always make it up…somehow.  They think it’s a passing event like an invite to a movie.  They’ll just see it another time. It may be more like a wedding a once in a lifetime event (you can only hope anyway).  When people invite friends and family to their wedding or graduation do they notice they didn’t show up?  If someone took the time to invite you to one of the most important events in their lives you must be very important to them and yes they will notice.  Well these days many people get married many times over.
      Earning a Black Belt from a challenging school may take you 10 years or more to get.  Could you court the opposite sex for 10 years before getting married…well maybe….if you’re lucky, but it’s unlikely.  I guess in some arts it can be that way, but in the True arts it is more akin to getting a PHD or doctorate degree.  You train you study hard to accomplish a goal you will only achieve once.  Students always remember there first degree Black test.  The excitement, the trauma, the bruises, the camaraderie, the fatigue, the blood, sweat, tears….did I say trauma….oh yes I did.  Being a doctor and a teacher for a great many years now, I have heard every excuse, every fabricated reason people can come up with for missing a class or appointment or event.   Of course we know the excuse is really for them.  Sometimes I wonder, “Do people Really think I’m that dumb as to believe this excuse?” For the most part I just let it go and let them believe that. 
     As for me if something is important to someone I care about or respect I show up.  If there is more then one day warning it helps of course.  Normally events and plans with great importance are scheduled weeks and many times months in advance.  A Black Belt test is one of those events with plenty of forewarning.  The way I see it, if I can’t organize my life enough to change my plans for such an important event…well then I need to reevaluate my life, my priorities, my soul…..
GM John E Bono DC
9th Degree Grand Master Gaylord Method Kajukenbo
Full Instructor-Hartsell's Jeet Kune Do Grappling Assoc
Chief Instructor Bono's Jeet Kune Do/Kajukenbo
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
Re: Black Belt Test what does it mean? How Important are they?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2005, 04:43:55 PM »
True, Sigung Bono. It's a very memorable time.

Yes, in fact I think I have more photos from my bb promotion than from my wedding. ;)
Seriously, it is a PRICELESS moment.

I personally believe that any time you are invited to a belt promotion regardless of the level or age, go because obviously the student or instructor thought highly enough of you to want you there.

Soifua,

Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2005, 05:50:03 PM »
Agreed
GM John E Bono DC
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision

Offline sifu_adam

• BlackBelt
  • Yellow Belt
  • Kajukenbo Alive in Colorado!
    • Loveland Martial Arts Academy
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2005, 10:12:21 PM »
One thing in our system that I have mentioned before in other post on this subject...we do not "test" or "take exams" when we are promoted to the new rank. The student should not be brought in front of a black belt board and be set up for a promotion if they have already not shown the quality and skill knowledge to be a black belt. Trust me the "promotion ceremony" is tough and not an easy task and probably very close to others format of a "test", just a different mind set of in our traditions that no student takes a test and will only be brought up for promotion when they are surpassing the expectations and know all the material (+ some) of the belt they currently wear.

Sifu Adam
5th Degree Kajukenbo and Kodokan Judo,  also teaching Kickboxing and Royce Gracie Jiu Jitsu.

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2005, 10:45:03 PM »
My students are excited and enjoy the test procedure.  Our test last 5 plus hours I would say, and has around 4 hours of some type of sparring, and we are a full contact school, it's big fun and a big challenge...i want to see their heart under the pressure.  I'm there to pass them, they just have to show they want it...
GM John E Bono DC