Author Topic: What other people think of Kajukenbo...  (Read 29585 times)

Jking

Re:What other people think of Kajukenbo...
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2004, 06:00:54 PM »
well, MMA (mixed martial arts) style sparring always seemed like a good asset to Kajukenbo training...

Basically, it is a bit harder contact, grabbing and grappling are a must.... but you get to do a more welle rounded sparring. This is just my opinion, and I am not as experianced as others, but that style sparring would seem to be very effective.

Offline Matt

• Yellow Belt
  • Hey - look ! Your shoe is untied!
    • Cape Cod Martial Arts Academy
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2004, 12:06:19 AM »
You should post that response on the bullshido forum also. I would be intersted to see if the pinhead would rise to the challenge, I might even be inclined to make a quick trip to the islands to watch that blood bath.
Someone did. He's apparently short on the cojones to back it up. I'm not sure what he's waiting to hear. The message posted here, and again over there seemed pretty clear to me.

From Bullshido:
More senseless rhetoric? I'm certain the members noticed you did not bother to dispute my assessment regarding the fatal flaw of the kajukenbo style, your emphasis on utilizing archaic weaponry nobody carries around with them in the modern era as opposed to knives, clubs and similar impact weaponry.

PS. I'm still waiting to hear from that other retard in ewa beach

I've seen others on bullshido (Omega) put there money (literally - they raised plane fare) where their mouth was, so for a moment I thought Kungfoolss might have the guts. Take him for what he's worth -  even the bullshido locals think he's a troll.
Matthew Barnes
Cape Cod Martial Arts Academy / Kempo Jutsu Kai International
"Let them call me rebel, and welcome, I feel no concern from it; but I should suffer the misery of devils, were I to make a whøre of my soul by swearing allegiance to one..." Thomas Paine, The AMERICAN CRISIS.

Offline guarded

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • He who hesitates, meditates; horizontally!
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2004, 02:18:38 AM »
Great post Sifu Sin Bin.  Might I say inspiring even.
Jerry Guard
Kajukenbo Tum Pai Brown/Black Sash under Prof. Steve Larson          My everyday stance is my fighting stance.  My fighting stance is my everyday stance.

Offline John Bishop

• Senior Black Belt
  • Black Belt
  • Seek Knowledge, Not Rank
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2004, 12:33:02 PM »
John Bishop  8th Degree-Original Method 
Under Grandmaster Gary Forbach
K.S.D.I. # 478, FMAA

"You watch, once I'm gone, all the snakes will start popping their heads up!"  Sijo Emperado

Offline Phrost

• White Belt
  • Bullshido.com Director
    • Bullshido
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2004, 07:02:13 PM »
Gentlemen,

bullshido is the unmoderated equivalent of the trash talk section on this site.   Please don't take postings from the essentially anonymous so seriously.  

Bullshido is not 'unmoderated', I'd know; I'm the site director.  We simply don't cave to such juvenile sensibilities such as language or blunt criticism at the expense of productive discussion.  

Many martial arts related websites are so wrapped up in enforcing politeness that they allow no room for actually questioning anything or anyone, much less calling them on blatant BS.

That wouldn't be us, however.  So I apologize if you're too thin-skinned to handle a heated discussion. But we refuse to let these trivial concerns get in the way of shining a light on the roaches MA is infested with.

And who's anonymous?  Many of the members of the site regularly get together to test their skills against each other in our Throwdown events.  

We operate on a charter to expose fraud, and to improve integrity and standards in the martial arts through discussion of its problems and taking action at an individual level.

Most people who don't have skeletons in their closet,  are operating black belt factories, or any other unsavory practices have nothing to fear from us.

People like Ashida Kim, who has been spouting about mind powers and invisibility however, have been and will continue to have the spotlight shined on them on our website.

A "blood bath", fantasy or not,  is no way to settle an idle threat.  If the blood is yours, you lose against a nobody challenger.  If the blood is the challenger's, then he'll simply spread the word about what will happen when entering your school.

Sincerely,

Gints

By the way, Kungfoolss is not one of the more respected (or liked) posters on the website.  However, we don't ban people based on whether or not their opinions are popular, or representative of the other members of the site.  We're not a cult, we're a forum for discussing the problems in the martial arts, and only through the participation of multiple perspectives will a consensus be achieved, and progress made.

Phrost
Amatuer MMA Fighter
Site Director, Bullshido.com
Fighting BS in Martial Arts

Offline guarded

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2004, 07:44:44 PM »
You'll have to let us know when and where these "throwdown events" are.  I am sure there are a few here that would like to take part in one of these.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2004, 10:18:22 AM by guarded »
Jerry Guard
Kajukenbo Tum Pai Brown/Black Sash under Prof. Steve Larson          My everyday stance is my fighting stance.  My fighting stance is my everyday stance.

Offline Phrost

• White Belt
  • Bullshido.com Director
    • Bullshido
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2004, 11:10:51 PM »
You'll have to let us know when and where these "throwdown events" are.  I am sure there are a few here that would like to take apart, I mean take part in one of these.

Uh huh.

I'll reserve judgement until I see one of you there.

Here's the forum where the events are planned:

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=31

Offline Phrost

• White Belt
  • Bullshido.com Director
    • Bullshido
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2004, 11:40:31 PM »
Aloha,

I like many of you became upset when I read this persons comments about our art.  I think his views were very disrespectful, and insulting.  I don't know this persons background, or his training methods, and truthfully I don't care.  What I would like to do is share something with you though.  In my hometown there are a number of MMA schools popping-up all over.  I see the advertisements everywhere.  Most of it is the same and lists as follows: Muay Thai, BJJ, Submission Wrestling, NHB, etc...Upon further investigation, I find out that most of these schools have instructors with little martial arts experience whatsoever.  Most of them list seminars, or are ranked quite low in their respective systems.  I have even been to some of their "fight nights" and watched with a subjective attitude.  These appeared to be nothing more then a bunch of misguided persons, wildy striking at each other with no real foundation to draw upon.  What bothers me most is that many of these schools are fostering the notion that only MMA / NHB is an effective fighting system.  When I read the comments on Bullshido, I get the feeling I am hearing the views from students who attend similar types of schools I have just mentioned.  It seems to me these people are always championing a famous MMA fighter to bolster their claims, using this as some sort of defense to chamipon the cause.  I hate to make blanket statements, but hasn't there been one made against us?  I am curious to know why these people at Bullshido obvioulsy think they are better then everyone else?  Last time I checked the martial arts didn't need global policing.  Another question I have is, how much do they know about their members?  Who's to say their contributors are even worthy enough to post there?  What standards do members have to follow so they aren't part of a dreaded "McDojo."  It seems to me their is little emphasis placed on what constitues being a valued member of Bullshido.  Unless, you take note of their most recent poll...Oh wait, I guess there is an emphasis...You have to be an okole puka.  If those are the kind of people out there paving the way for the future of martial arts, then it's going to be a bumpy road.  To all the brothers and sisters out there...Train hard, stick to your roots, honor Sijo and pay little attention to people like him and Bullshido, they will never understand.  

Mahalo,
Chris  

1.  Paragraphs: use them, love them.

2.  Never understand what?  That a person can claim to be a martial artist without having ever tested his skills against someone outside his system under very limited rules?

Nope, we refuse to 'understand' this because it is BS.  Martial Arts are for fighting.  Anyone who tells you otherwise is doing so because he's got a hidden agenda.

3.  You know how to tell a MMA McDojo from a real MMA school?

Get off your couch warmer and go to the school and roll with someone from that school.  Or better yet, go fight them in a NHB match.

It's pretty simple to do, but harder to execute, because there are still very few MMA McDojos.  Unlike 'traditional' martial arts, MMA Schools don't have the luxury of hiding behind point sparring, forms demonstrations, "we're too deadly" excuses, or pseudomystical pacifism/self-help BS.

Any school that claims to train people in MMA had better have a fight team, and had better accept people walking in off the street to roll with either a student or the instructor.

Gee, isn't life simple sometimes?

If not, they probably are a McDojo.

Offline patfromlogan

• White Belt
  • Aloha
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2004, 11:47:53 PM »
Hey Kajukenbo guys!  I'm a poster from good old Bullshido and if you read the thread, you sure read a lot from me.  I have nothing but respect for the art.  I worked out in Kajukenbo for several years, Vargas lineage, out here in Utah.  I spend time every year in Hawaii and have joined Prof. Buell's Universal Kempo Karate org (classes five minutes from my brother's house in Kailua).  Prof. of course was with Kajukenbo for many years and I have only heard good things about both systems when I'm working out in Kailua and Kalihi.

I'd encourage all to come over to Bullshido for a visit.  It is a little rough and a lot of these guys have NO respect for their black belt elders!  Which I enjoy myself, I have seen way too much respect for rank, and not enough for skills and good attitude from some of the holier than thou types in the martial arts world.  

My life in ma started with JIKC and (at that time in the 60s) sensei Hirano.  I am a lot like Sifu Daniel Shioi except he sounds really good where as I keep trying to win those trophies!  I also worked out with Kyokushin and Shotokan and so forth.  In Utah now I do Kosho Ryu Kempo and an eclectic karate style.

Well it's late, so ALOHA NUI, take care.

p.s.  I got on the case of the guys (from Texas?) who called Kajukenbo Kaju.  Kaju, jeeees, what a name.
Patrick Easterling, Kyokushin, Kajukenbo, and now member of Universal Kempo Karate and Chirioku Karate

Offline Sifu Sin Bin

• Holy Cow, I am a
  • Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • YOU SUCK, TRAIN HARDER
    • check it out
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2004, 01:33:34 AM »
I think there is something to be said for the mma and for tma, and that is, if men are involved there will be bs. We all know that there are some schools that call themselves kajukenbo and yet they suck, the same goes for any other style or system. It doesn't matter what they call it, someone somewhere is going to try and make more money then they deserve by marketing to unsuspecting and uninformed peole who are generally wanting to better themselves by taking a fighting art. It is not the name of the art but the individual using it that makes it what it is and I agree with the premise of the bullshido forum but I don't agree with the tactics. You will never be able to police the world of bs teachers by an online forum, we can't even shut kungfoolss up let alone stop the mcdojos. I guess what I am trying to say is, people don't take yourselves to seriously, there is some truth in what others say about us just as there is some truth about what we say about them. At the same time there are some falsehoods being propgated by both sides. I don't think one could judge all of the people on Bullshido by one person any more than they could do likewise. Does any of that make sense, or am I just buzzing of the Starbucks I just guzzled?
Professor Rob Peladeau
8th Degree - KSDI #672
Loyal Student and lifelong friend of
Grand Master Emil Bautista
NorCal Headquarters of K.S.D.I. Ambassador

Offline Sifu Sin Bin

• Holy Cow, I am a
  • Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • YOU SUCK, TRAIN HARDER
    • check it out
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2004, 01:33:59 AM »
By the way Pat, I call it Kaju too :P
Professor Rob Peladeau
8th Degree - KSDI #672

Offline Wado

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • llama llama
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2004, 02:39:53 AM »
Welcome posters from Bullshido. I think it is great that you come and post here, especially in a thread entitled "What other people think of Kajukenbo."

Phrost, the Throwdowns sound like an excellent idea and it is very cool that you manage to get so many people involved from different schools.

I found this description of the Throwdowns from a post you made on Bullshido on 10-10-2003

No general rules per se. The Throwdowns are just gatherings of members of the website to discuss/demonstrate/test out martial arts. When it comes to the sparring part, the rules are up to the people sparring. The only rule I see the need to enforce is that you respect everyone and their limits.

The throwdowns aren't "Fight Club" gatherings. They're just an expression of the spirit of the website: to strip away the BS and get to what works by sharing ideas and knowledge.

I'm glad the throwdowns aren't total "Fight Clubs" because my idea of a win is to walk away from a fight with the same teeth I started with.  Some people, add a little alcohol or mind-bending substances into their adreneline, and they just don't know when to stop anymore. Those aren't training lessons anymore, it comes down to survival. The only learning that comes from a fight like that is humility and to say, it is good to be alive, that is if you come out of it alive and well.

Some of the nicest and most humble people I've met were NHB fighters, mostly retired now. They don't go looking for trouble anymore, although if trouble came knocking they wouldn't be pushovers. These are also people that seem very interested in Kenpo or Kajukenbo. I can't tell you why, but it seems that after years of training in Brazillian Jiu-jitsu or similar martial arts, they feel they are missing something.

I noticed, a goodly amount of Jiu-jitsu people having interest or committing in going to the takedowns on the Bullshido forums. Would they also have interest in Kajukenbo? I'm sure many here on Kajukenbo would like to attend some takedowns and learn more about the martial principles as taught by others, especially in some of the practical applications and experiences with them.

I know that training in BJJ as was training in AJJ was great for me as they focus on many principles that allow a smaller person to take on a larger aggressor.

That's all I really wanted to say.

W. Yamauchi
Mateo Kajukenbo
Seattle, Washington

John Evans

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2004, 09:26:49 AM »
In Utah now I do Kosho Ryu Kempo

PatFromLogan - who is your instructor in Utah?  I study Kosho from Hanshi Bruce Juchnik.  

Take care,
John Evans

Offline Sifu Sin Bin

• Holy Cow, I am a
  • Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • YOU SUCK, TRAIN HARDER
    • check it out
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2004, 10:28:52 AM »
I have removed my post from Bullshido, after reading the entire thread I have come to the conclusion that it is the wrong way to handle things and a complete waste of my time. It is also making us look bad. Those who are for kajukenbo always will be, those who are not will never be, so why bother?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2004, 10:29:30 AM by Sifu Sin Bin »
Professor Rob Peladeau
8th Degree - KSDI #672

Offline guarded

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2004, 10:43:41 AM »
Uh huh.

I'll reserve judgement until I see one of you there.

Here's the forum where the events are planned:

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=31

It actually sounds like something I would like to attend.  Educational without the "fightclub" attitude.  And on another note, I have a friend who has a few mma fights and trained for a couple years under one of the premier submission grapplers in mma.  He also has a lot of boxing experience.  He now has a mini dojo in his garage where he trains a select few fighters for mma.  He claims no rank and does it out of love for the sport.  I have "rolled" with him and would say he is plenty skilled to do the teaching he is doing.  So like Sifu Sin Bin said earlier.  You have to look at the individuals and what they stand for.  Or what they claim to stand for.
Jerry Guard