Author Topic: What other people think of Kajukenbo...  (Read 29589 times)

Offline Phrost

• White Belt
  • Bullshido.com Director
    • Bullshido
Re:What other people think of Kajukenbo...
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2004, 10:59:12 AM »
Honestly I don't know much about Kajukenbo.  I come from a background of Chinese martial arts and more recently MMA.

We seem to have gotten off on the wrong foot initially, but I'm glad you guys appreciate what we're trying to do.

Check out some of the Throwdown videos we've got.  

http://www.bullshido.net/modules.php?s=&name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=8

We'd love to see some of you guys there.

Offline patfromlogan

• White Belt
  • Aloha
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2004, 11:39:37 AM »
By the way Pat, I call it Kaju too :P

AAAAAARRRRRHHHGGGG!!

Man, it's like the trend back in Hawaii.  Take a beautiful name for a wonderful surf spot and make it sound yucky.  The worst case is Ala Moana is now known as Bowls. Yetch.  Sandy Beach is Sandies, Crouching Lion is now Lions. Oh well, pearls before swine.

The throwdowns sound like real fun.  I want to attend some.  Read in the throwdown link and you'll find all sorts of people from many different schools and systems having a good time.  They've included trad black belts, mma guys, tournament champs, white belt newbies, and everyone is welcome.  There are some good videos and pictures on some of the threads.  A lot of grappling, but some standup and one even drilled Kyokushin  'toughing techniques,' ouch!

My Kosho Ryu Kempo instructor is Sensei Perales (Fred?) and he's from CA.  Said he'll get Hanshi Bruce Juchnik out here some time for a seminar.   I asked about Juchnik on Bullshido and typical of that site got the 'real dope' (expert martial artist who is somewhat full of himself - they said it, not me :) ).  I am having fun with the school.  It includes standup, ground, sticks (bo, jo etc), double arnis type sticks, Kendo, and stuff I don't know the name of yet.  Strict but relaxed atmosphere, it doesn't have the 'drop and gimmee twenty' militaristic ego bs that schools many have.  

Sensei Perales just got a web page going last week:
http://martialartphysics.com/

I hope you think this is funny. It's a post I made to another guy from O'ahu about what we should do to Kungfoolss.  (He is the biggest jerk on  Bullshido, and they tolerate some real idiots!)

"Hey Brah!  We got DANINJA and Guy from O'ahu.  I'll bet there are some more Islanders (I know there is one guy who is a MT/Kickboxer from Pearl who has posted), let's have a getogether this summer. I'll probably be in Kailua in June or July.   We could go to Kapiolani Beach Park and torture Kungfoolss!  Make him eat a hundred malasadas, get a Samoan hooker from Hotel St. to fxxx him up, throw him out in big surf at Point Panic, have him expound on his theories of why karate is worthless to the Kyokushinkai dojo at the Kanewai rec center, lock him in a room with Grandmaster George Iverson (have to tell George how Kungfoolss trashed him on the internet first), The possibilities are endless!"

« Last Edit: March 11, 2004, 11:44:48 AM by patfromlogan »
Patrick Easterling, Kyokushin, Kajukenbo, and now member of Universal Kempo Karate and Chirioku Karate

Offline John Bishop

• Senior Black Belt
  • Black Belt
  • Seek Knowledge, Not Rank
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2004, 11:51:38 AM »
"Kaju",  Yea I use Kaju too.  I feel real comfortable calling it Kaju and a lot of us in Kajukenbo call it Kaju.   Terms like he's a Kaju brother, or a Kaju boy, or Kaju style.  I mean it's a lot shorter than "Kajukenboist", or "Kajukenbo stylist".
But what's strange is I get a weird feeling when I hear someone outside of the Kajukenbo family calling it "Kaju".   It's sort of like that feeling that you call someone Mr. or Miss until you know them well enough to use their first name.    
John Bishop  8th Degree-Original Method 
Under Grandmaster Gary Forbach
K.S.D.I. # 478, FMAA

"You watch, once I'm gone, all the snakes will start popping their heads up!"  Sijo Emperado

Offline badsifu

• restricted
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2004, 10:00:11 AM »
People do it with all sorts of things though.  Kenpo should be Kenpo Jujitsu.  Karate should be Karate-do.

My 2 cents.
Dan Tyrrell

Offline ThunderingHammers

• White Belt
  • Sophistication Is No More Than Simplicity Compound
    • Action Kenpo Karate
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2004, 02:35:36 AM »
I have posted a reply on the Bullshido forum, but after I done that I regretted it. What these people do has nothing to do with Martial Arts and they do not carry out the true spirit of the Martial Arts (with some exeptions). When you try to start out a serious topic they try to pull you down. I can and will not respect that kind of behaviour. I wonder what these kids (because I think thats what they are) try to prove with posting pictures of half naked ladies, and argue about them while the topic contains someones serious question. I hope something like this will never happen on this forum which is one I really like and respect and which is one I really learn something from.

Keep up doing the good thing,

with respect,

Richard
Black Belt American Kenpo Karate (Ed Parkers Method)

Please visit our schools webpage: www.kenpokarate.nl

TODD

« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2004, 09:22:16 AM »
I posted and removed.  The responses to the question ticked me off but now I'm over it.

Offline John Bishop

• Senior Black Belt
  • Black Belt
  • Seek Knowledge, Not Rank
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2004, 09:37:26 AM »
Most of us pulled our posts.  There's no intelligent communication going on over there.  
John Bishop  8th Degree-Original Method 
Under Grandmaster Gary Forbach
K.S.D.I. # 478, FMAA

"You watch, once I'm gone, all the snakes will start popping their heads up!"  Sijo Emperado

Offline Bautista's

• teaching since 1966
  • Senior Moderator
  • Brown Belt
  • you show me-I show you
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2004, 10:24:44 AM »
Sticks and stones may break my bones
But words can never hurt me.
or something to that affect.
Who cares what others says about us, as long as we think of ourself in the true spirit of our martial art.
Emil Bautista
Emil Bautista
Kajukenbo black belt (1966)

Offline ThunderingHammers

• White Belt
  • Sophistication Is No More Than Simplicity Compound
    • Action Kenpo Karate
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2004, 02:30:27 AM »
I deleted too! It is a very bad thing to talk about people that way who probably spend most of their lives training in their art. You may have your meaning but never pull people down that way.

Black Belt American Kenpo Karate (Ed Parkers Method)

Please visit our schools webpage: www.kenpokarate.nl

Offline kajudaddy

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2004, 09:45:25 PM »
I scanned through the postings on bullshido and until the topic of "what do you think of kajukenbo" was added the overall view of kajukenbo was in good standing.I think its just a matter of giving the problem children a chance to start trouble.There are a few kajukenbo martial artists that post there.
Paul Ferber
4th degree
Eugene Ray Kajukenbo
Great Falls,MT

Offline Rosy

• BlackBelt
  • White Belt
  • Kajukenbo 4-Life
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2004, 11:43:43 PM »
I read the post on that web site.  The first thing that hit my mind was, why would you question your art, unless its not working for you?  I guess I never have questioned it, I don't think I ever really cared what other people thought of Kajukenbo, I figured if it works for me then who cares what others think?  I generally think a lot of people are closed minded and think that their art is the best.  Pesonally I feel that all martial arts are good martial arts if it gives the practitioner what they are looking for.  What ever that may be.  But if you wanna be a real bad a$$ come on over to our side  ;D
Through the fist way, one can attain long life and happiness.

Offline Greg Newton

• White Belt
  • In adversity - have the attitude to overcome.
Re: What other people think of Kajukenbo...
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2005, 12:08:29 PM »
I used to read and occasionally post on Bullshido.  However, for the most part, over the past couple of years it has devolved from a useful and interesting martial arts forum to juvenile and ego driven flatulence. 

Offline GForbach

• Gary Forbach
  • Senior Moderator
  • Blue Belt
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2005, 12:23:22 PM »
This a great topic!  It should be "recommended reading" for newer students.  Hopefully by just reading and assessing the posts (not posting ;D), the student will see the ridiculous nature of this ignorant open debate.
True, everyone has the right to their own opinion.  However, when one realizes the blatant waste of time and energy on a topic that usually, both sides have no clue what the hell their saying is then "almost embarrassing" to take part in.
Spend your valuable time on your own website "the Cafe" where, true we still get the kooks and un-invited guests that talk #*@% but our moderators try their best to separate the trash from the truth.  Most of the posts I’ve seen (outside the “Café”) are really dumb!  I sometimes rush past a post thinking to myself, “Oh no I didn’t just read that!”.    :o
I ask you students to not let yourself become caught up in this "waste of life and time" ---  "Shut up and Train!"  ;D   
GM Forbach
Gary Forbach, 9th Degree Original Method Kajukenbo under GM Aleju Reyes and Sijo A.D. Emperado

Offline Greg Newton

• White Belt
  • In adversity - have the attitude to overcome.
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2005, 02:23:23 PM »
Amen!