Author Topic: Which Would You Choose?  (Read 9176 times)

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
Which Would You Choose?
« on: March 19, 2004, 11:38:25 AM »
For Love?

or

For Stability?

In my opinion, Love is the  risk factor of the two. The outcome is not promised. However, you will never know unless you take that leap of faith. It's the unknown, spontaneous.  ::) Without taking that chance you will always live with the what if, what could of been? Would of could of but didn't.

Stability is safe no risk required. Same routine no changes.

I'm sure when we all started it was for the love of it. Can you honestly say its for the love now or has it just become routine same ol' same ol'?  ???

Just my opinion.
Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

Offline Sifu Sin Bin

• Holy Cow, I am a
  • Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • YOU SUCK, TRAIN HARDER
    • check it out
Re:Which Would You Choose?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2004, 08:37:00 PM »
Serene,
  What in the H$% are you taking about ???
Professor Rob Peladeau
8th Degree - KSDI #672
Loyal Student and lifelong friend of
Grand Master Emil Bautista
NorCal Headquarters of K.S.D.I. Ambassador

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2004, 09:44:43 PM »
Sibak Maurice - I can dig it.  ;D Shodanson give Sibak Maurice another stripe.  ;)Well done Sibak.  ;D

Greetings Sifu Rob-Sir, the great thing about this post is that it may be compared to anything.  ;) For now, lets say its about Martial Arts. For some a good discusion or maybe food for thought. ;)

Soifua,

Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

Offline Mell

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • www.watchthelamb.com
    • Watch the Lamb Ministries
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2004, 10:19:34 PM »
I have read this three times now.  I'm still looking blankly at the screen wondering what you are trying to say.  :o

I try again later.
Sibak Mellody Porter
ANDERSON MARTIAL ARTS - Grafton, Ohio
www.ohiokajukenbo.com
www.watchthelamb.com

Offline Wado

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • llama llama
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2004, 01:14:35 PM »
LOVE or STABILITY

I don't know if I could choose, I believe both should be embraced.

Love burns brightly and motivates common folk to become revolutionaries, to seek change. A creative passion for expression, a driving force for visionaries. But love is excessive and blind to the simple things. The passion of love burns quickly and those that live off love alone can burn out, run out of fuel, become disenchanted, and wither up and fade away a shrivelled forgotten memory of what once was, what once could have been.

Stability is in for the long haul. Able to withstand the test of time, protecting those from harsh realities, but it fails in innovation. Like a machine, it goes about its functions, the simple things made efficient and change minimized. Stability is boring and brings about fear and misunderstanding to the nature of change. Stability leads to isolation, silos of people unable to interact outside their comfortable closed worlds.

Love inspires Stability, allowing Stability to deal with change, to embrace change with bravery and cope with the unknown. Stability needs Love.

Stability slows Love down, allowing Love to survive the test of time, to accept and find happiness in the simple things as well as the big things. To be comfortable with moderation. Love needs Stability.

There is much of this in martial arts, Yin and Yang, soft and hard, gentleness and power, circular and straight... and so on and so on...

Opposites do attract, it is natural and it is necessary in my humble opinion.

W. Yamauchi
Mateo Kajukenbo
Seattle, Washington

Offline guarded

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • He who hesitates, meditates; horizontally!
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2004, 04:25:18 AM »
Surely for the love.  What good is stability without love.
 Stability without love=Emptyness
Love will get you through those unstable times.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2004, 04:26:16 AM by guarded »
Jerry Guard
Kajukenbo Tum Pai Brown/Black Sash under Prof. Steve Larson          My everyday stance is my fighting stance.  My fighting stance is my everyday stance.

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2004, 01:20:31 PM »
Love often gets hurt by stability.  :-\ Love thinks from the heart. Love is an emotion that drives one to do things. Love wakes the soul and everything and everyone in its path. Love gets up because it wants too.    

Stability awakens because it feels obligated too. Stability shows no emotions, just another day in its life as always. Stability is predictable.

It's hard for these two to be together they clash often. I think they annoy each other.

Interesting thoughts. I look forward to reading your comments.

Soifua,

Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

Offline guarded

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • He who hesitates, meditates; horizontally!
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2004, 11:30:26 PM »
So I guess you can say there is an unstable stability with Love.  You can never really relax .  You are always working to keep it stable. ;)
Jerry Guard
Kajukenbo Tum Pai Brown/Black Sash under Prof. Steve Larson          My everyday stance is my fighting stance.  My fighting stance is my everyday stance.

Offline Sifu Sin Bin

• Holy Cow, I am a
  • Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • YOU SUCK, TRAIN HARDER
    • check it out
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2004, 05:17:10 PM »
The word Love is defined in different ways. In the Greek language of the first century which is referrd to as Koine Greek or common Greek, there were three different words for love. First there was "phileo" which was like a brotherly love. Hence the City of Philedelphia being called the city of brotherly love. This is the love you have for a friend or a family member.
  Then there is "eros" which is where we get our word erotic. This is the sensual feeling that most people base there relationships on today, which is why most relationships don't last very long.
  Then there is the word "Agape" which is an unconditional love. It is a conscience decision to care and nurture a person regardless of what you get in return. This is the love God talks about when he says to love him. It is also the Love the Apostle Paul was speaking of when he said "Husbands love your wives"
  The Greek language is a great and expressive language, you can learn alot from it.
Professor Rob Peladeau
8th Degree - KSDI #672
Loyal Student and lifelong friend of
Grand Master Emil Bautista
NorCal Headquarters of K.S.D.I. Ambassador

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2004, 10:12:44 PM »
hmm....

I get it there are 3 types:

1. family/brotherly love
2. in love
3. unconditional love

Seems that the unconditional love maybe the one that matches w/stability? Maybe thats why so many say they are the same? Exceptance and love.  Most important  this type is what a parent has for their child.

In love is what hurts a lot of folks. In the blind sort of speak.  Usually this type of love is difficult when it is one sided. If both feel the same that it is doable.

Family/brotherly love that one hurts too, but not as much as the other two.

Just my humble oppinion.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2004, 11:28:48 AM by Kajushodan »
Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2004, 02:25:04 PM »
I know that song: "It's a thin line between love and hate." ;)

Love is contantly doing love things and hate is constantly hating. ;)

Hate wouldn't hate so much if it learned to love. Similar to love and stablity.

Maybe if stability showed some love they would probably be okay?

Let make this a little interesting shall we? ;) ::)

Let's say the instructor is the love factor and you have a stability student.

What things must the instructor do to put love in the heart of the stability student?

Soifua,
Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

Offline Wado

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • llama llama
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2004, 03:22:54 PM »
...Let make this a little interesting shall we? ;) ::)

Let's say the instructor is the love factor and you have a stability student.

What things must the instructor do to put love in the heart of the stability student?...

I still believe, to be successful and grow, you cannot choose one or the other. A relationship must have both and both have to contribute.

When a student is stable, the instructor can show them love and inspire them to move outside their protective shell. However, when a student is all love, the instructor can show them stability to balance the student and keep them focused on the long-term relationship.

I've experienced and seen students and instructors quit martial arts when they get a "rude awakening" such as they get beat up in a fight thinking before hand it should have been a cakewake for them. Their love turns quickly to disenchantment.

I've also experienced and seen students quit because they don't feel they are learning anything new, they think training has become the same routine over and over again. They lose motivation.

You get back what you put in. Love to inspire and stimulate, stability to shield and bring tradition and show humility.

Love and stability are opposites, and that is why they work so well together.

Yin and Yang. They are a blend, don't always be Yin, don't always be Yang.
W. Yamauchi
Mateo Kajukenbo
Seattle, Washington

Offline Rosy

• BlackBelt
  • White Belt
  • Kajukenbo 4-Life
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2004, 11:06:05 AM »
Love or Stability.....in martial arts.

I fell in love first.  I walked in and was ultimately overcome by the grace and power and the discipline, and I was only 15 at the time.   Later, as time marches on and life happends I quit and came back, all in all I would estamate I quit and came back about 4 times before I finally stayed.  Each time I came back because I needed the stability but loved the art, it felt right.  It felt strong, safe but above all I knew I was home when I walked into that dojo.   It has become a part of me, I can not seperate who I am from the martial arts, it is a part of my life, my family.  My love and stability.  My fellow students are my family, my dojo my home, my instructor my father, brother, confidant, friend and counselor.  I have family, relatives,  and lots of them, but I have a special bond with my karateca family one I could not explain to my relatives.  So for me, martial arts is a path that I take to become the best person I can possibly be, it is ultimately a path I take because I love myself and becuase it helps me to find stability within myself.

Okay, so that said I'm done being seriouse for today.   ;D  hey, were is the spell check!!!
Through the fist way, one can attain long life and happiness.

Offline MWeaver

• White Belt
  • Brown Belt
    • My DeviantArt Account
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2004, 11:43:35 PM »
I started for Stability.
I continue for love.
^^=
M.R.Weaver

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2004, 01:29:28 PM »
Greetings MWeaver. ;D

Thank you for your post and welcome aboard.

We look forward to reading more. ;D

Soifua,
Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.